Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

81 Low Rider front cylinder running hot

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 09:18 PM
Mike07roadking
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Any advise on that starter, it looks like a fight.Plese let me know if you had any issues and what to expect.

Old 07-29-2018, 05:22 PM
Mike07roadking
Cruiser

Well thanks for the advise! NOT! The starter went in wet & ready! She is back in all her hot glory! New everything in the primary except the compensator and chain. 20+ miles with the head light on, just like riding in front of a blast furnace no fun....

Old 07-29-2018, 05:33 PM
Mike07roadking
Cruiser

Oh by the way - I backed off those 4 tranny bolts and it had zero effect on getting that primary to align, it was still rigid. I am not sure if there was other stuff that needed to be loosened up. I ended up taking a dead blow hammer and tapping on that inner Primary until I got the recommended torque of 22 ft lbs on those fasteners and the o ring to seat. I can’t find a torq sequence in the manual either, so I just staggered them.

Old 07-29-2018, 05:39 PM
Mike07roadking
Cruiser

Just another FYI - if you go with a DS Stator, good luck finding the correct spacer. I ended up using two .055 but I really needed a .14 which does not exists. You can buy a .15 on eBay, but I would rather deal with the locals. Good enough for now.

Old 07-29-2018, 05:47 PM
Mike07roadking
Cruiser

Anybody have a line on raised white letter rear tires? My rear is spent. I found the front ones on eBay.

Old 08-27-2018, 11:36 PM
Mike07roadking
Cruiser

Not running hot any more! Not having any major electrical problems. Runs good. Just the normal stuff wanting to fall off after a couple of hours! Only lost a foot peg rubber after 200+ miles, but I made a mod to keep that from happing again. Went on a major ride by myself on Saturday to destinations that were in the middle of nowhere and no traffic and nobody around except straight road. It got a little boring looking at just birds and bugs but it was all good.. I started to freak out 50 miles into nowhere because I don't have a gas gauge and I was more than a 100 mile into my tank with nothing in site. I finally ran into a gas station, but I only needed a 1.5 gal, so my mileage is better than my 07RK. If I stay around 55-60 MPH the bike is in its happy place. If I can find the right route, I might take this old girl on major road trip.

The following users liked this post:
TwiZted Biker (08-27-2018)
Old 08-28-2018, 12:11 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,019 Likes on 17,513 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike07roadking

Not running hot any more! Not having any major electrical problems. Runs good. Just the normal stuff wanting to fall off after a couple of hours! Only lost a foot peg rubber after 200+ miles, but I made a mod to keep that from happing again. Went on a major ride by myself on Saturday to destinations that were in the middle of nowhere and no traffic and nobody around except straight road. It got a little boring looking at just birds and bugs but it was all good.. I started to freak out 50 miles into nowhere because I don't have a gas gauge and I was more than a 100 mile into my tank with nothing in site. I finally ran into a gas station, but I only needed a 1.5 gal, so my mileage is better than my 07RK. If I stay around 55-60 MPH the bike is in its happy place. If I can find the right route, I might take this old girl on major road trip.

I've criss crossed this country several times on a shovel running those speeds, lots of secondaires and county roads to explore and frankly the scenery is better than the super slabs anyway. Enjoy the slen partner , may she be good to you. Two rules for shovel travel , don't pass up a gas stop after 70 or so miles or if the route looks iffy and never get in a hurry. You do wander off the beaten path a bit doesn't hurt to have a small ground tarp and some water & munchies just in case. Never had to use mine but I have given it away to those that did need it.

Old 08-28-2018, 12:13 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

Originally Posted by Mike07roadking
Anybody have a line on raised white letter rear tires? My rear is spent. I found the front ones on eBay.
FYI white letters or sidewalls on a shovel rear are a huge exercise in frustration, just heads up

Old 08-28-2018, 07:26 AM
Mike07roadking
Cruiser

Looks like Bridgstones are my only option I can find. The bike came with Good Year Eagles, but then they stopped making M/C tires. That’s when I went with Dunlop’s K181 Qualifires. But Dunlop doesn’t make RWL anymore. I get get a rear tire real soon,

I just like the retro look of RWL. I just didn’t know if there was some retro type tire company out there like there are for classic cars.

Old 08-28-2018, 12:23 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

There are but the tires suck, she's going to be a daily rider consider buying for performance not looks.

Quick Reply: 81 Low Rider front cylinder running hot