Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

71 FLH Shovelhead

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 07:22 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

yea as I am not looking at what you are everything is a guess at what it really is - most do it the right way so you can move it if you are off a bit - the moron who drilled the thing out and hammered a pin in it - should go back to his rice bike he really loves

its effed if he did not drill all the way through - again I am not looking at what you are and the info provided is a bit short

The following users liked this post:
LoneRiderFLH (02-07-2019)
Old 02-07-2019, 07:39 PM
hscic
Elite HDF Member
Received 544 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
yea as I am not looking at what you are everything is a guess at what it really is - most do it the right way so you can move it if you are off a bit - the moron who drilled the thing out and hammered a pin in it - should go back to his rice bike he really loves

its effed if he did not drill all the way through - again I am not looking at what you are and the info provided is a bit short
I get what the moron was trying to do to secure his shift lever but at least do it so it can be removed. Yes it is drilled right through and appears to have hammered the pin in it.

Here are a couple of close up pics from the side and top to get a better idea. Do you think I need to drill it out?

Old 02-07-2019, 07:41 PM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,054 Likes on 1,510 Posts

Originally Posted by hscic
HELP! I search and search and could not find anything on non-splined set screws. I removed the lever bolt and was trying to remove set screw. It is not an allen screw nor did it seem to have any thread (not the parts sticking out of the lever anyway)....so appears to be a pin if you will.

Before I start pounding away, do you or anyone know how to remove that pin or have a diagram to better identify what kind of pin/screw?
It is Much more simple than you are Making it... The Factory Method, Originally... was to simply Pinch the Shifter onto a Plain rod... Wasn't worth a ****...especially if one was a bit aggressive on the Shifter [for that I wish they would never have changed it] The Common "Fix" was a set screw or a pin thru the Shifter and Shaft... Won't find that in the original service manual...Old Farts like John... just know it from BTDT....

LOL
Whilst I was typing you was gettin Pics... yep... many ways for a Common Garage [Tractor] mechanic to create a "FIX" Huh??
Hell I've seen 'em Welded!!!!! No ****... this ain't no Sea Story!!!!

BTW the "fix" you have is a good one...except that the only adjustment is now via the shifter rod...
Roll Pins are very easy to deal with... especially if ya search out the proper Punch... nuthin to it...

Last edited by Racepres; 02-07-2019 at 07:46 PM.
The following users liked this post:
hscic (02-07-2019)
Old 02-07-2019, 08:29 PM
hscic
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Racepres
It is Much more simple than you are Making it... The Factory Method, Originally... was to simply Pinch the Shifter onto a Plain rod... Wasn't worth a ****...especially if one was a bit aggressive on the Shifter [for that I wish they would never have changed it] The Common "Fix" was a set screw or a pin thru the Shifter and Shaft... Won't find that in the original service manual...Old Farts like John... just know it from BTDT....

LOL
Whilst I was typing you was gettin Pics... yep... many ways for a Common Garage [Tractor] mechanic to create a "FIX" Huh??
Hell I've seen 'em Welded!!!!! No ****... this ain't no Sea Story!!!!

BTW the "fix" you have is a good one...except that the only adjustment is now via the shifter rod...
Roll Pins are very easy to deal with... especially if ya search out the proper Punch... nuthin to it...
LOL
Welded?...that is even a bigger moron.

Perhaps just need to find a rod/punch and hammer it out. I only tapped it with a hammer to see if it moved any. I guess gotta give it more muscle.

Thanks

Old 02-07-2019, 08:53 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

in the shop we have the special punches for the roll pins ( they have a ball in the center of the punch it fits the hole in the pin ) but a hair smaller flat end punch will remove it if it moves somewhat easy

Old 02-07-2019, 09:23 PM
hscic
Elite HDF Member

Thanks for the input....I first pounded the pin down into the lever with a hammer to make sure it moved, then used an long T handle allen wrench the size of the drilled hole and gave it a few bangs....and it slid out.

Probably made it bigger of an issue than needed but when something looks foreign, kinda gotta figure out what was done first before I start banging away and potentially damaging stuff unnecessarily.

Here is a pic of the illusive pin removed and my HD HT shift lever 34690-65...just waiting for the inner splined lever. Thanks again guys.

Old 02-07-2019, 09:35 PM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member

Don't throw that Modded stuff away... Hell.... Send it to me!!!! I woulda traded for a heel toe... but... that left early last year!!! I dislike them intensely...
Like I said... someone did a pretty darn good job... especially if the roll pin fit well...and it even looks pretty darn straight...

Old 02-07-2019, 10:09 PM
hscic
Elite HDF Member

Don't throw that Modded stuff away... Hell.... Send it to me!!!! I woulda traded for a heel toe... but... that left early last year!!! I dislike them intensely...
Like I said... someone did a pretty darn good job... especially if the roll pin fit well...and it even looks pretty darn straight...
Once I get the inner splined shaft and the HT shift lever installed, I will see if I like it. If I do like it, the toe shifter and the matching inner lever along with the roll pin is yours. Will let you know and you can pm me your address.

Old 02-07-2019, 11:08 PM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by hscic
Once I get the inner splined shaft and the HT shift lever installed, I will see if I like it. If I do like it, the toe shifter and the matching inner lever along with the roll pin is yours. Will let you know and you can pm me your address.
LOL... Great... But... I'm betting you put the single lever back on... The heel toe is in the way...They Aggravate me...

Old 02-07-2019, 11:20 PM
hscic
Elite HDF Member

LOL... Great... But... I'm betting you put the single lever back on... The heel toe is in the way...They Aggravate me...
LOL that's because you are a racer. I have small feet/shoes so it may fit me well...we will see. May not be for a few weeks since my speedo is being restored and I will be fitting the dual crossovers.

Quick Reply: 71 FLH Shovelhead