Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

My new 66 FLH

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 06:14 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,930 Likes on 2,569 Posts

Nice looking bike, I would have no issues riding her as is, flames are OK, as stated, I have seen way worse. Unfortunately you are a country mile away from stock, gonna coast some serious coin to get her back to AMCA standards if that is the plan. You might consider just riding her around for awhile and think about what you want to do, really is a cool bike already. Just my .02, have fun and good luck.

PS yeh the throttle cable is awful, they make internal throttle kits that will work with a cable, easier way to go if you decide you like the apes. Exile Cycles sells a really good unit.

Old 07-20-2018, 06:43 AM
hellonewman
Club Member
Received 5,739 Likes on 2,472 Posts

Originally Posted by Architect
Nice looking bike, I would have no issues riding her as is, flames are OK, as stated, I have seen way worse. Unfortunately you are a country mile away from stock, gonna coast some serious coin to get her back to AMCA standards if that is the plan. You might consider just riding her around for awhile and think about what you want to do, really is a cool bike already. Just my .02, have fun and good luck.

PS yeh the throttle cable is awful, they make internal throttle kits that will work with a cable, easier way to go if you decide you like the apes. Exile Cycles sells a really good unit.
Making it more correct is my goal but I want to ride it. It'll be like one of those 69 Z28's you see at the local car show thats a pretty honest car but the guy didn't bother putting the smog pump and plumbing back on.

Old 07-20-2018, 06:45 AM
touchdown
Supporter

Received 1,659 Likes on 946 Posts

Nice bike I have a 67 I ride

The following users liked this post:
hellonewman (07-20-2018)
Old 07-20-2018, 07:00 AM
AJSHOVEL
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,438 Likes on 4,132 Posts

Congrats.... Great find. I'm with ya also on losing the apes. I'd ride her the way she is for awhile. I love it and am envious!!!

Old 07-20-2018, 07:04 AM
hellonewman
Club Member

These bags came with it and a factory 59-69 electra glide service manual as well.

Old 07-20-2018, 07:05 AM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,004 Likes on 2,817 Posts

Originally Posted by FreedomRider
The clutch setup should be a rocker style, IIRC
Mouse trap hand clutch, foot shift.

Last edited by Hey Man; 07-20-2018 at 07:07 AM.
The following users liked this post:
1966 Electra Glide (08-21-2019)
Old 07-20-2018, 07:07 AM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

the bike was originally foot shift and the clutch is a mouse trap style

the generator and regulator while it seems to be a cycle electric - good stuff - its not correct

the battery box cover is a re pop at the tab on the lower attachment is slotted it should just be a hole
the bracket holding the starter end cap is incorrect it uses two transmission bolts not one no chrome on any brackets, note - I don't see the starter relay they did something different cant tell from the pictures, but I also don't see its attached bracket on the battery box but it could be - or one can be welded in place

the outer primary is incorrect and the spud on the starter will be different as you need a special one for that cover to work - they only came in FLH style with the floor board tab has a sealed derby the inspection hole has the passenger peg mount for the buddy seat - will add pictures of some of this so you know what to look for

the inner primary oiling system must be an add to and change type - not a feed return system as the oil pump that is incorrect for the year it should be an iron pump does not have the lines for oem set up

as we talked a OEM USA made wire harness in complete form is not available - but a partial is plus wire in the correct colors in running feet is available so it can happen - and the front board and the side board under the coil you can get kits for both all new hardware - lets hope you have an original dash plate need a picture

my guess from a 1000 miles away is both fenders are correct oem - the front with its holes on the right places and the rear has rear side rivets you don't get re pop - right side fuel valve you don't get as well unless its OEM

original handlebar switches are hens teeth and pricy worn out - china ones while they work for a while do not have correct wiring But look the part installed - we have put the correct colors and wires on them its what its become - BUT I see them at swap meets for sale new in OEM boxes / paper bags from Harley as well as handlebars - pocket dent for sure -

you do have the correct oil tank < real good thing

to be continued

Old 07-20-2018, 07:22 AM
hellonewman
Club Member

Thanks everyone, keep on picking.

Im very happy with the purchase. Im going to loosen the front mount bolts and see if it needs shimming, one of the first things I did was look at the crankcase mount for repairs.

Old 07-20-2018, 08:03 AM
FL54
Road Master
Received 423 Likes on 290 Posts

I'm far from an expert but I'm not sure the tombstone tail light is correct although they are better looking.

Old 07-20-2018, 08:23 AM
72fl
Road Master
Received 105 Likes on 55 Posts

I'm not a fan of that type of Apes, in my opinion it takes away from the bike appearance, NICE find. I have 2 piece bars with internal throttle from a 72 if you decide you want to go that way.

Quick Reply: My new 66 FLH