Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

What's going on ? the spark plugs come out with oil on the electrodes

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2019, 05:47 PM
john lee
Road Warrior
Received 343 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
2 things I am not a computer guy I still have a rotary telephone in the shop

and the lap top I use is a Edsel
me too old school

Old 05-21-2019, 02:57 PM
JohnMB
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

In one of your pics I see you are running copper head gaskets. I would suggest maybe cometic gaskets.with copper head gaskets you stand a chance of sucking return oil into your combustion chamber. Also if the fire ring of cylinder contacts head before compressing head gasket you will have same problem. Also if second ring is installed upside down it will pump oil into combustion chamber

Last edited by JohnMB; 05-21-2019 at 03:01 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Mark "Getrow" E. (07-25-2019)
Old 05-26-2019, 07:27 AM
Pichilingo
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[font][font]están bien [/font][font]ĄGracias por la info! [/font][/font]

[font][font]Parece que tengo que hacer muchas cosas para mantenerme ocupada por un rato. Te haré saber cómo progresan las cosas ...: :[/font][/font]

Old 07-24-2019, 10:48 AM
Pichilingo
Intermediate

Hi again, I removed the cylinder head covers and this is what I see.
Can you confirm my opinion?
I do not wish that the oil seen in the piston heads was caused by the rings because of the bad machining they did.
But if the compression test is good, it will be because of the oil in the piston head, right?
Regarding the seals of the valve guides, what seals do I need? .

Greetings friends, I return to the road to work, when I return I will do what I am advised, thanks again.
oil in intake manifold

Old 07-24-2019, 05:13 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

what it looks like to me is someone took it apart and reassembled it with out changing anything and it has not run very long since - maybe 10 minuets

the cylinder wall shows scratches and the seats in the heads look - said look they are not in my hands - as if the two seats have been ground over size and are cut into one another

Old 07-25-2019, 04:10 PM
Bumpandrun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 414 Likes on 297 Posts

Originally Posted by Pichilingo
Hi again, I removed the cylinder head covers and this is what I see.
Can you confirm my opinion?
I do not wish that the oil seen in the piston heads was caused by the rings because of the bad machining they did.
But if the compression test is good, it will be because of the oil in the piston head, right?
Regarding the seals of the valve guides, what seals do I need? .

Greetings friends, I return to the road to work, when I return I will do what I am advised, thanks again.
oil in intake manifold

compression means nothing...if they broke or installed oil ring overlaped.... but how much oil was in rocker cover? Push rod tubes full of oil? Maybe returns are clogged or not even drilled( seen that twice in last 2 months). May as well pull jugs and start over. Only 2 cylinders and your there...way way to much oil...... pull the heads apart also. Who ever had it apart last time screwed up..... i really dont think valve seals would let that much oil in.....i have run them with none. Well you know its .010 over so its been bored...

Last edited by Bumpandrun; 07-25-2019 at 04:12 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Pichilingo (07-28-2019)
Old 07-27-2019, 08:42 AM
Pichilingo
Intermediate

I am trying to communicate with you, my written expression is not good, I try.
Ah! Someone from the state of Florida, I go to the end of August in Miami and Orlando, 10 days, in case there is a shop or workshop to buy some parts.

I bought the stock caps S&S super stock because the originals cracked them when putting new guides, to be able to use unleaded gasoline, but the machining work was disastrous, and the only solution was S&S,
I want to point out that before putting on the new cylinder head covers, the porcelain of the spark plugs, they were of a brown color with milk, I did not throw fumes, but I had a lot of carbon in the heads of the pistons and the wall of the chamber, which caused me to rattle or ping
thinking that everything would be solved, then the spark plugs came out with oil and what I have said about puffs of smoke in the front cylinder when decelerating. I realized that I had some loose screws and oil had passed through the gasket, which was copper and change for James, thinking that it was the solution, but no, that oil continues and more quantity in the heads of the pistons and the annoying, in sight, of the fumes
At the moment, as I removed the cylinder head covers, I want to clean everything and put the new gaskets in the valve guides, but I don't know which, I only see in the German W&W catalog, the KPN gaskets for S&S cylinder heads.
Thank you

Old 07-29-2019, 04:20 PM
Pichilingo
Intermediate

Hi guys, I need put the new seals on the valve guides, but I don't know which reference,

Old 07-29-2019, 05:10 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

measure the top of the guide the seal installs on - something like .531 or even .635 shovel guide sizing

a picture could help

Old 07-30-2019, 04:42 PM
Pichilingo
Intermediate

it's for an S&S super stock Cylinder heads, the image is useful

Quick Reply: What's going on ? the spark plugs come out with oil on the electrodes