Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

73/74 Electra glide help? I知 a motorcycle noob

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2019, 08:20 AM
shovelsrule
Advanced
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Hi there, i love this thread so much, reminds me of the bikes i've rebuild/restored! Great to see the shiny stuff coming out under all that dirt.
Can't you just use a wirecutter and cut the choke cable just above the shaft/lever #35? And then pull the **** and cable out from the top of the dash?
I think my '78 used a similar choke system.

Oooops never mind, i see you already loosened the cable from the carb...

More wd40 and some firm pulling on the **** should do the trick.
Or cut the **** as it all has to get replaced anyway

Last edited by shovelsrule; 06-01-2019 at 08:28 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Frog Nuts (06-01-2019)
Old 06-01-2019, 08:38 AM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,422 Likes on 884 Posts

thumbs up to you too. sometimes you have to do something that gives instant gratification, to keep the momentum going.

Frog Nuts (06-01-2019)
Old 06-01-2019, 09:26 AM
hscic
Elite HDF Member
Received 544 Likes on 463 Posts

Found this piece of info which may help get that **** out so you can remove the dash rather than cutting the cable...

#38 in the diagram is the lock screw 27686-71....logically can you not just unscrew that to release the cable?

My cable was cut since I have a Super B with the choke on the top so I defer the question to those with OEM.

Last edited by hscic; 06-01-2019 at 09:27 AM.
Old 06-01-2019, 12:34 PM
Frog Nuts
Cruiser
Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

Hscic,
Your wanting Lizy to save the cable and the tube/housing that it slides up/down in eh?
Ok..by pulling up on her knobb, see just how far it will go. Say close to a inch and a half.
If its free inside..goes up/down easy,why not save it?
Lizy,
Get the dam spring already ok?(You know what I'm talking about)
Heres another YouTube video...I think Ya will enjoy.
See one of the parts missing on this bike? The one that You just took off of Blue Moon?
BTW...Blues in better condition..and has You giving Her all this much loved attention.

Last edited by Frog Nuts; 06-01-2019 at 01:28 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Frog Nuts:
75FLHScott (06-01-2019), Don Michigan (06-01-2019)
Old 06-01-2019, 02:29 PM
hscic
Elite HDF Member
Received 544 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by Frog Nuts
Hscic,
Your wanting Lizy to save the cable and the tube/housing that it slides up/down in eh?
Ok..by pulling up on her knobb, see just how far it will go. Say close to a inch and a half.
If its free inside..goes up/down easy,why not save it?
Depending on Lizy I guess......if she really wants that dash out, fastest and easiest way is to cut the cable as suggested. However, for me, I do not destroy anything that comes off my bike especially if OEM...just me, force of habit.

If you can replace just the cable and don't have to replace the entire choke assembly, then no matter... as no one can tell if the cable is OEM or not....then I would go the easiest and fastest route.

If the decision is to cut the cable, you may want to provide reference to a correct replacement.

Here is my cut cable

Last edited by hscic; 06-01-2019 at 04:58 PM.
Old 06-01-2019, 09:51 PM
Lizy Alexander
Cruiser
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

This is as far up as I can get it :/

Got the right ones now!

Ordered the spring btw!

Ok I put a little oil in the spark plug holes now but I might not have put enough lol. I知 just afraid to put too much.

Last edited by Lizy Alexander; 06-01-2019 at 10:18 PM.
Old 06-01-2019, 11:08 PM
Frog Nuts
Cruiser

Not the dash Lizy, We are talking about the choke knobb only.
Pull it up and down several times...to see just how easy the cable slides. (See Hscics pic, the rusty looking part about 2" long under the knobb? Thats what needs to slide easy)
The cable goes thru a tube almost all the way to Her carb..we are simply trying to free it up
to make it slide easy. If this works,You will only need to buy a new knobb...its 7 bucks shipped.

I'm glad You got the kickstand spring ordered up..whew Ill stop my bichin and worrying..after You install it.
So Ya got at least a spoonful of oil in Her holes also? All She needs in there is enough to soak completely
around Her pistons..to lube the rings.(Think about the rim of a drinking glass)
Also, The new plugs,just finger tight for now..don't put a socket on them.

Last edited by Frog Nuts; 06-01-2019 at 11:34 PM.
Old 06-01-2019, 11:32 PM
Lizy Alexander
Cruiser

Not the dash Lizy, We are talking about the choke knobb only.
Pull it up and down several times...to see just how easy it slides. (See Hscics pic, the rusty looking part about 2" long under the knobb? Thats what needs to slide easy)
The cable goes thru a tube almost all the way to Her carb..we are simply trying to free it up
to make it slide easy. If this works,You only need to buy a new knobb...its 7 bucks shipped.

I'm glad You got the kickstand spring ordered up..whew Ill stop my bichin and worrying..after You install it.
So Ya got close two a couple spoonfuls of oil in Her holes also? All She needs in there is enough to soak completely
around Her pistons..to lube the rings.
Also, The new plugs,just finger tight for now..

Well probably it was less than that but I did put a little.
I couldn稚 find one of those things so I got a fat straw and scooped some out with that so it wasn稚 a lot. I figured it would be easier to add more if necessary than to have to figure out how to get it out lol.

Yeah I know I just figured I壇 try and take a picture of under there for y誕ll to see if y誕ll saw anything interesting lol

Last time I tried pushing/pulling it it didn稚 move at all. It actually was stuck pushed down until my brother turned the not underneath it enough that it like forced it up. I値l try and get my friend mr mega hands to see if he can move it tomorrow

Also my dad has this thing he says is the battery cover but I知 not sure it痴 for this bike or if it was one of his ones he痴 had in the past and just has them switched around in his head. I値l take a picture of that tomorrow so y誕ll can see. It痴 more like an L shape than just a square like the other ones I致e seen. ッ\_(ツ)_/ッ

An small update on the story: My dad said it was sitting in NM until he went and got it he said around the time I was born. He said he brought it on a trailer but idk if it was running then or not.

Frog Nuts (06-01-2019)
Old 06-01-2019, 11:41 PM
Frog Nuts
Cruiser

Watch the video I put here for You...the 1974 FLH in it has both battery covers..and the strap
Hey..take a 1/2" open end wrench and snug that nut back down...the one under Her choke knobb..
not real tight,just very snug.

Last edited by Frog Nuts; 06-01-2019 at 11:46 PM.
Old 06-01-2019, 11:44 PM
Lizy Alexander
Cruiser

Watch the video I put here for You...the 1974 FLH in it has both battery covers..and the strap

Hmmmm yeah it didn稚 look like that at all lol
it was shaped more like the blue line (probably not quite the right shape but that kinda shape in general)

Frog Nuts (06-01-2019)

Quick Reply: 73/74 Electra glide help? I知 a motorcycle noob