Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

74" shovelhead rings and cylinder questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2024, 07:29 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,632 Likes on 2,920 Posts

You have std pistons - my guess its a low use machine lap them in and call it a day - but picture it up what you did the guys will let you know the real deal good or bad first

stainless valves are for the gas we now use and will continue to use

The following users liked this post:
Timberjkd (03-27-2024)
Old 03-28-2024, 06:36 PM
Timberjkd
Tourer
Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
You have std pistons - my guess its a low use machine lap them in and call it a day - but picture it up what you did the guys will let you know the real deal good or bad first

stainless valves are for the gas we now use and will continue to use
Thanks for the info. I finished checking the jugs for roundness...well within spec. Will just order a new set of hastings std rings. I dont think I need anything larger. Bore - 3.435 was largest measurement checked with snap gauge in three locations per manual. Seems ok. Im gonna just ball hone as you suggested because they are super shiny in there.

Old 04-01-2024, 11:33 AM
Timberjkd
Tourer

Just checked my cylinders for roundness and I am getting a consistent measurement of 3.435 for both. That doesn't seem right when book says 3.438. I used 3 spots at 90° with snap gauge and calipers. HOW can my jugs be smaller than stock. I. Guessing calipers are off but they are definitely within spec so no need to bore. Just stock size rings after hone? I'll recheck after I hone them too.

Old 04-01-2024, 03:36 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,632 Likes on 2,920 Posts

It’s very easy to with a snap gage to come up long of short - if they are as you say seem round then ball hone and re ring and put it back together with the heads re done

Old 04-01-2024, 03:57 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,383 Likes on 17,654 Posts

Isn't a daily rider, run a ball hone thought a few shots to break the glaze and see if any bad spots show, cast rings and call it good if the wrist pin bushes are good. New keepers (spiral locks ) on the wrist pins and Cometic gaskets,

Old 04-01-2024, 05:33 PM
Timberjkd
Tourer

Will do for All. Thanks guys for all the input. Gonna order some rings tonight and hone them tomorrow. Oh yeah, finally got the valves out (had to get a compressor) and the exhaust valve is shot on front cylinder. Looks like someone tried to lap a new valve in at some point - unsuccessful. So they go tomorrow to local shop for work.

Old 04-02-2024, 12:24 PM
InnishMoor
Tourer
Received 145 Likes on 73 Posts

How about some pictures? You know we all like pictures.

Old 04-03-2024, 08:21 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,503 Likes on 3,777 Posts

Originally Posted by Timberjkd
Just checked my cylinders for roundness and I am getting a consistent measurement of 3.435 for both. That doesn't seem right when book says 3.438. I used 3 spots at 90° with snap gauge and calipers. HOW can my jugs be smaller than stock. I. Guessing calipers are off but they are definitely within spec so no need to bore. Just stock size rings after hone? I'll recheck after I hone them too.

Calipers can be off a couple thou, easy.. What do the pistons come in at?

Old 04-03-2024, 09:12 AM
pgreer
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,383 Likes on 900 Posts

Check the piston to cylinder clearance provided by the manufacturer so you know how much clearance they require. Usually .0015-.002 for cast pistons. And if you don't have good measuring equipment, get blade type feeler gauges (the longer ones are better for this use) and slide the piston in the cylinder starting with .001 gauge, going up to .002 to see if the piston still moves freely in the cylinder and you can pull the feeler gauge out without too much resistance.

If you are measuring the cylinders with snap gauges, you readings for roundness and taper my be off a fair amount.

Paul

Last edited by pgreer; 04-03-2024 at 09:14 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by pgreer:
Max Headflow (04-03-2024), Timberjkd (04-03-2024)
Old 04-03-2024, 10:42 AM
Timberjkd
Tourer

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
Calipers can be off a couple thou, easy.. What do the pistons come in at?
Originally Posted by pgreer
Check the piston to cylinder clearance provided by the manufacturer so you know how much clearance they require. Usually .0015-.002 for cast pistons. And if you don't have good measuring equipment, get blade type feeler gauges (the longer ones are better for this use) and slide the piston in the cylinder starting with .001 gauge, going up to .002 to see if the piston still moves freely in the cylinder and you can pull the feeler gauge out without too much resistance.

If you are measuring the cylinders with snap gauges, you readings for roundness and taper my be off a fair amount.

Paul
will definitely post pics. The heads have been dropped off. Guy said valve guides with no seals were the culprit.

3.435 are my measurements. I figured they were off. Time for new calipers.

Quick Reply: 74" shovelhead rings and cylinder questions