Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Shovel rear cyl blowin oil smoke.

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 11:34 AM
shrktooth
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Shovel rear cyl blowin oil smoke.

that translate to OEM part#18196-51
that is a seal for the panhead engine from what i know......
i always freeze the guides and then press them in the head(never put a gasket or seal under the guide)...but.... i am open to learn something new here.

Old 03-05-2008, 11:37 AM
Rodney
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I wouldn't be buying a new head yet, go back in there which you should do anyway, inspect the guides and replace the knurled ones with new use the guide gaskets see that the oil return in the jug is clear and give it another go.
those guide gaskets are important every time the piston goes down its sucking on the bottom of the guides.

Old 03-05-2008, 01:47 PM
bc40ton
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes folks, I am gonna tear her apart tomorrow. Will post what I find.[:@]

Old 03-05-2008, 04:26 PM
Rodney
Road Master

good deal!
if need be heating the head makes the guides come out easier too.
it's no big deal to have to take your motor cycle apart a time or to to get it right.
Thats just the way it is working on this old Iron.
take your time and pay attention to detail.
while you have it apart if you haven't already take a close look at the rocker arms and shafts for wear.
I had to replace all the rocker arms on my shovel on my last rebuild.

Old 03-05-2008, 07:42 PM
bc40ton
Intermediate

Alright, heads off, oil all over the intake valve. No "guide" gasket. Found them in the box. Never had one leak before. The gasket is a cheesy 1 cent piece of paper. Wish I could think of something else to put on, maybe locktite. Heres a pic, thanks again everyone. Note the oil in the valve notch of the piston. Pic is as found.

[IMG]local://upfiles/54797/F015D7130C8A43779B4629E417104561.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-05-2008, 07:53 PM
Rodney
Road Master

good job
I would still re check the valve guides and install the gasket for the guide and use the correct over size guide if needed.
you haven't installed a hi volume oil pump or increased the oil to the top end have you?
you may also want to check the timing of the breather to make sure you aren't creating to much crank case pressure.
those are nice looking pistons Iv'e always like KB products. used them in lots of 440 mopars.

Old 03-05-2008, 07:57 PM
Rodney
Road Master

if you have the correct size guide it sould be a good tight fit. If you use lock tight it will be bad news for removal or in may just burn out from the heat. if the guide is loose in the head install and oversized one.
my 68 has over sized in all guides. no valve seals new guides and valves and no oil leaking

Old 03-05-2008, 08:04 PM
Rodney
Road Master

ORIGINAL: shrktooth

(never put a gasket or seal under the guide)...but.... i am open to learn something new here.
Harley has been using them since for ever. I trust they know they are needed. I'm sure ideal conditions they may not be necessary, Ideal conditions are slim and far between for this guy so I buy insurance any time possible and if that means putting a 2 cent gasket under my guides I going to be doing it.

Old 03-06-2008, 07:37 AM
bc40ton
Intermediate

I do have a new oil pump, pushes 15lb hot. I wish I could limit oil flow somewhat upstairs. Breather timing is on, I just put another cam in when I had it apart. I am going to knock the one guide out today and hope I can reuse it. Gasket set wont be here till monday for top end. I might even have the oversize giudes from the last time I only used 2 out of 4. I will look in my large junk iron bin. But if it slides out easy I will order new guides. Exh isnt leaking, not gonna touch it. New guide seals coming also. Thanks Rodney!

Old 03-06-2008, 08:14 AM
shrktooth
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Rodney

ORIGINAL: shrktooth

(never put a gasket or seal under the guide)...but.... i am open to learn something new here.
Harley has been using them since for ever. I trust they know they are needed. I'm sure ideal conditions they may not be necessary, Ideal conditions are slim and far between for this guy so I buy insurance any time possible and if that means putting a 2 cent gasket under my guides I going to be doing it.
welll....... on this valve guide gasket issue. rodney im sure you know the ***** but...... haven't used one of them gaskets in a shovel top ever. and ive done about 500 top ends on shovels. this was used in the generator shovels and really never since. FWIW

Quick Reply: Shovel rear cyl blowin oil smoke.