Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

New Shovel Owner Loads of Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2022, 04:21 PM
Fireguy88
Road Master
Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
Default New Shovel Owner Loads of Questions

Just received delivery of my '73 FX, my first shovel. To get it road worthy I need to repair the brakes, neither the front or rear are working and I need to fix the tail light. It only illuminates when the front brake lever is pulled. Any thoughts on what might be causing that? I've seen conflicting answers on what type of brake fluid. I'm waiting on a service manual but thought I'd ask here. Also, curious as to what all these mounting points were originally used for in the frame? An electric starter was added at some point but all I get is a click when I push the starter. Hoping it's just a relay or solenoid but it's not as important as getting the tail light and brakes working just yet. Really appreciate everyone's help as I'm sure I'm going to have plenty more questions in the days to come.

Were these mounts for the original FX tank?

Old 06-06-2022, 05:55 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

The picture of the oil tank original battery box mount combo with the oil tank being its left side - you will see a relay right by the mount - pull the plug and check for power - then jump the green wire as its the driver for the starter solenoid - see what happens

you do have a kicker to start it with - the cam cover right side engine center - remove the cove 2 screws and see what in it for ignition and post a picture the guys will confirm what you have

under the ignition coil left side in front of the oil tank at the rear head is a junction box for the rear wiring BUT remove the tail light lens and see if the bulb is still good

The following users liked this post:
Fireguy88 (06-07-2022)
Old 06-06-2022, 06:07 PM
john lee
Road Warrior
Received 343 Likes on 288 Posts

brake light switch no good.dot 5 fluid caliper pistons could be seized and check master cyclinders

Fireguy88 (06-07-2022)
Old 06-06-2022, 08:48 PM
Ytcoinshooter
Club Member
Received 286 Likes on 132 Posts

Your lower legs and dual discs are from 1978 or later. There’s a bunch of items you’ll discover. It may have started life as a ‘73 FX…but your gonna want to know what you have. Count the fins on the jugs - 9 would mean you have an 80” inch - a later shovelhead engine. The good folks here can help you sort out just what you have.

Fireguy88 (06-07-2022)
Old 06-06-2022, 09:25 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,922 Likes on 17,475 Posts

We call that a swap meet special, not a bad thing per say but little stock 73 anymore so sorting out what and how is going to be a voyage of discovery for you.

Far the brake light goes , probably the pressure switch for the rear or a bad wire to it. Usually down around the kicker cover somewhere.

The following 3 users liked this post by TwiZted Biker:
Fireguy88 (06-07-2022), Racepres (06-07-2022), Ytcoinshooter (06-07-2022)
Old 06-07-2022, 09:36 AM
Fireguy88
Road Master
Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts

Thank you everyone for the replies and help! A lot of helpful information. Here are a few more pictures, the vin on the engine does match the frame, but as you can see the heads are S&S. I do have pictures from the previous owners build sheet, but its very hard to read. Can anyone identify what rear brake setup this might be? I'm going to be out of town for the next few days so this will be put on hold for a little while. Again, thank you everyone for all your help I really appreciate it. I have a lot of plans for this bike but right now would like to just get it on the road before I really start messing with other things.

Tried my best to highlight all the fins since its hard to see in the picture.

Behind the cam cover.

Rear brake.

Old 06-07-2022, 10:20 AM
magnum45pete
Road Captain
Received 349 Likes on 208 Posts

fin count on the cylinders does NOT show cubic inch, my stock 1978 1200 shovelhead has only 9 fins & my 10 fin Glide was also 1200,... its NT an exact science, it was in a change over year

Fireguy88 (06-07-2022)
Old 06-07-2022, 12:19 PM
Ytcoinshooter
Club Member
Received 286 Likes on 132 Posts

*Fins: 9 on mine is a ‘78 1/2 eighty inch from an FLH - first of the 80”ers. Yours looks like 9 fins…my bad eyes.

*S&S heads - so your okay for unleaded gas.

*Dyna ignition - nice & my preference.

*Rear caliper appears to be a “banana” but the mount is later than the woeful mounts early “banana” calipers came with. So this is good.

* Aftermarket petcock
* Derby cover has the 80” appearance - pardon my pic is fuzzy…my eyes too 😉.

My 2¢ from observation is that
obviously a little love was shined on it. Congrats,

It should turn out to be a nice putt. Matching numbers gives you the option to go parts hunting - swap meets - if you get the itch to add original / period correct parts. Not to Jack yer thread but I am enthusiastic about seeing these oldies put on the road. Here’s a pic of my ‘76 / with ‘78 1/2 FLH engine & trans. Mostly correct for the period. Just getting to the first 500 miles on this new build.

Last edited by Ytcoinshooter; 06-07-2022 at 12:22 PM.
gonemad (06-21-2022)
Old 06-07-2022, 03:49 PM
john lee
Road Warrior
Received 343 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by Ytcoinshooter
*Fins: 9 on mine is a ‘78 1/2 eighty inch from an FLH - first of the 80”ers. Yours looks like 9 fins…my bad eyes.

*S&S heads - so your okay for unleaded gas.

*Dyna ignition - nice & my preference.

*Rear caliper appears to be a “banana” but the mount is later than the woeful mounts early “banana” calipers came with. So this is good.

* Aftermarket petcock
* Derby cover has the 80” appearance - pardon my pic is fuzzy…my eyes too 😉.

My 2¢ from observation is that
obviously a little love was shined on it. Congrats,

It should turn out to be a nice putt. Matching numbers gives you the option to go parts hunting - swap meets - if you get the itch to add original / period correct parts. Not to Jack yer thread but I am enthusiastic about seeing these oldies put on the road. Here’s a pic of my ‘76 / with ‘78 1/2 FLH engine & trans. Mostly correct for the period. Just getting to the first 500 miles on this new build.
front caliper stock ?

Old 06-07-2022, 03:56 PM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,054 Likes on 1,510 Posts

Originally Posted by john lee
front caliper stock ?
yup.. sometime late '78 they went Dual, Sportsters?? All of 1978

Quick Reply: New Shovel Owner Loads of Questions