Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

camshaft identification

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 02:28 PM
SHVLrules
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default camshaft identification

Hi guys,

Bought my FXS 1980 a year ago. The ride has lot's of modifications, but no specs. From the beginning the Shovel 'stutters' in the midrange. The rear cylinder doesn't beats a good rithm. The front cylinder beats well. At high speed no stuttering. Changing the mechanical ignition for a Crane HI-4 single fire ignition doensn't solved the stuttering. Both cylinders have good compression. The CV carb seems te work fine. Last weekend checked the camshaft. Seems no stock cam, but can't identify it. Made some pictures of it and hope that one of u guys can identify the make and grind.

grtz.

Attached Thumbnails camshaft identification-img_0039.jpg   camshaft identification-img_0040.jpg   camshaft identification-img_0043.jpg   camshaft identification-img_0041.jpg   camshaft identification-img_0042.jpg  

Old 04-04-2012, 03:26 PM
msgtarmor
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is a Crane cam and it's what is called an indexable cam. You can pull the cam gear off and move it to accomodate your particular engine configuration, (big inch stroker, high comp, low comp) etc. I havent seen one in quite a while.
Anyway as far as the exact specs I would get hold of Crane and they should be able to help with the rest...
jim

Old 04-05-2012, 01:11 PM
SHVLrules
2nd Gear

I suspected it was Crane. Thx for the info jim!

Old 05-05-2012, 05:39 AM
SHVLrules
2nd Gear

Hi all,

Crane could not identify the camshaft. The number 70001B at the timing gear is specific to the gear and not to the camshaft. I've removed the camshaft and the lobe near to the timing gear at the inner side is numbered 76. This must be the grind of the camshaft. Does anyone recognizes this grind?

gtrz. Martin

Old 05-05-2012, 08:13 AM
biginchhustler
Road Master
Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

im 99% sure that a crane 300H cam.. they didnt come with a gear and you bought the indexable gear seperate..
.455 lift on both -- 248 duration its really a hyd cam -- if its ticky and it has solids put the hyd back in stop trying to get that perfect lopy-lopy idle cams with other than stock timing,lift,duration,and overlap wont sound like that..
EXHAUST DURATION248ºEXHAUST LIFT.455"INTAKE DURATION248°INTAKE LIFT.455"

Old 05-05-2012, 08:47 AM
berndog
Tourer

I just put a 300h in my 82 with solid lifters,,the parts guy at the local indy swore it was applicable to my bike,better not cause any damage,,GRRRRR

Old 05-05-2012, 01:47 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,922 Likes on 17,475 Posts

Originally Posted by biginchhustler
im 99% sure that a crane 300H cam.. they didnt come with a gear and you bought the indexable gear seperate..
.455 lift on both -- 248 duration its really a hyd cam -- if its ticky and it has solids put the hyd back in stop trying to get that perfect lopy-lopy idle cams with other than stock timing,lift,duration,and overlap wont sound like that..
EXHAUST DURATION248ºEXHAUST LIFT.455"INTAKE DURATION248°INTAKE LIFT.455"
Your right it is and those always had a goofy idle and a bit of a slight mid range flubber I didn't care for . It works best with hyd. lifters but solids are ok but it won't feel like your getting any snap or strong pull with that one it's more of a steady torque pull for loads .

Old 05-05-2012, 04:39 PM
biginchhustler
Road Master

just like the stock FLH cam-- made for hyd BUT you can use solids-- we ALL did -- but they make noise... cams made strictly for solids have ramps that quiet the noise where ones made for hyd the lifter is oil filled and dampens the fall off of the lobe-- it would be different if the cam specs said "solid only" and ya ran hyd lifters... i agree thats not a peppy cam.. kinda like the andrews "J" dead.. an andrews "A" is a better choice but in a stock 74/80 i still like the 414 or as its known today #116 shotgun.. check the cam gear alignment if you buy one.. if its power ya want use the leinweber L3S.. it can be run with hyd... i have 3 of the #116 siftons... also all those fancy push rods on the market 99% are JUNK.. the stock steel push rod combined with the old hyd unit that you turn upside down and knock out the nipple and remove the guts... then drop in a 11/32 nut in the body and re-assemble... adjust them soild.. when an item such as a push rod is in motion it only reflects 1/5th of its actual weight... the steel wont bend nor will it strike the rocker box.. those aluminum push rods bend and since they are a larger diameter they hit the rocker box.. you will see a circular ring around the push rods where they move in/out of the rocker box cork hole... stick with the small diameter steel..

Old 05-05-2012, 06:02 PM
sqdealgeorge
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Default story from Biginchhustler

+ 2 on this analysis must be a man from the old school

Old 05-06-2012, 05:36 AM
biginchhustler
Road Master

1964 first bike 1951 panhead -- ahhhhh black frame -- black/gold seat -- flat black tanks 5 gal -- front fender on the rear -- no front fender -- no front brake -- wide glide --- chrome by 70wt oil -- kick only -- like a puppy dog it left little puddles -- loved to ride in pick up trucks -- always had fresh oil as it either leaked or burned it.. push/pull throttle ole linkert brass carb -- leaky intake/exhaust

"BUT IT WAS MINE!! LOL LOL 135lb whimp trying to kick that.. oh yeah girls loved to push --- lol lol

Quick Reply: camshaft identification