General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mesh motorcycle jackets??

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 07:40 AM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 704 Likes on 467 Posts

Who cares what people think. Although I much prefer the Schott jacket, I do wear the mesh once in a while and did once or twice this season.

Old 07-12-2016, 11:44 AM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,711 Likes on 1,993 Posts

I finally "bit the bullet" and bought a H-D mesh jacket this year. After I had my first "my fault" accident last year (slid off the road and high-sided on a decreasing radius turn), I decided I'm no longer comfortable riding in a t-shirt in hot weather.

I like the H-D jacket pretty well. Only issue is that the armor pads have to be bought separately, which increased the price.

Oh, yeah, the accident; well, I was wearing my leather jacket, 16" engineer boots, gloves, jeans and half helmet. I walked away without a scratch-landed in a pile of leaves.

Old 07-12-2016, 12:42 PM
V-Twin
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle G.
I finally "bit the bullet" and bought a H-D mesh.

I like the H-D jacket pretty well. Only issue is that the armor pads have to be bought separate.

Ya, after reading the posts, I "pulled the trigger" and purchased the gray HD mesh jacket. Like you said, the body armor has to be bought separately. The only thing I don't like is that there is no pocket for a back pad. Sure, I could have purchased any other brand, but stuck with HD. (Sucker for brand loyalty).

Old 07-12-2016, 01:45 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 882 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
Disagree. The mesh keeps the sun off your skin. The mesh allows outstanding air flow, but not as fast as if you were fully exposed. This allows perspiration to evaporate at a slightly slower rate, providing better cooling. And, the perspiration wicks into the mesh, providing further additional cooling effect.

If you try to find research regarding mesh vs vented textile vs perforated leather, you will find that there isn't any. Nobody has done a true, science-based, carefully picked group test. All that is out there is "opinion". And we know about opinions. However, I've done some digging, and this is one of the better articles I've found:

https://www.fix.com/blog/motorcycle-...n-hot-weather/
Not opinion....

http://www.ironbutt.com/ibmagazine/i..._62-66_Hot.pdf

The airflow wicks away your sweat which dehydrates you. Very dangerous wearing mesh when it's over 93 degrees.

Old 07-12-2016, 02:50 PM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,667 Likes on 939 Posts

Originally Posted by '05Train
Not opinion....

http://www.ironbutt.com/ibmagazine/i..._62-66_Hot.pdf

The airflow wicks away your sweat which dehydrates you. Very dangerous wearing mesh when it's over 93 degrees.
I read that article a couple weeks ago. I guess it depends what kind of mesh you're talking about. My jacket is considered "textile/mesh". There are some vents on the front that allow airflow through & out the back, but there's no direct airflow across my skin. As I mentioned in a previous post, I rode home one a hot/humid 95 degree day last week for an hour plus, all highway. I was warm, but comfortable.

The article you referenced recommends "minimize your body’s exposure to direct wind blast," and I think modern textile/mesh jackets do that pretty well.

Old 07-12-2016, 02:57 PM
Kayakguy
Road Captain
Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts

Wearing mesh in the 90s is not dangerous if you use your head. You have to drink a lot of fluid and it is as simple as that. Now obviously getting to extreme heat zones well north of a hundred require riding in the early morning and evening to avoid it.

I have posted in another thread how I think the "Harley style" makes this more of an issue. Many wont wear a jacket much less one specifically designed for travel and many wont carry water or even have bags to do so. My jacket has a pocket for a water bladder. As well on my adv bikes I use a tank bag that always have fluids in them and I drink them constantly even while riding down the road which is where the bladder comes into play.

Now on my Softail you wont see me with a tank bag but if I am doing a big trip I will be wearing that jacket and it will have a hundred ounces in it that gets refilled at every stop.

I think that when you talk about real touring in harsh conditions you have to expand the knowledge base much further out from just riding. Heat is serious business but it can be overcome safely if you keep your head in the game.

I had a Canadian chic riding with me for a week or so in Mexico. She was wearing some nice Klim Gear and I was wearing mesh. We would stop for a break and I would feel great and she would literally have pools of sweat and be staggering. I watched her like a hawk to keep fluids in her. She also had a bladder or she would have gone down for sure.

Old 07-12-2016, 03:15 PM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

I wear a Vanson Vent Max in grey with armor all summer long.

Really couldn't care less what the t-shirt crowd thinks. I usually ride better than they do anyway.

Not only does it offer protection, (not as good as leather, but some) it keeps the sun off, and is comfortable on the ride. I might be a little cooler in a t shirt at a stop light, but not much. And when the bike is moving, it's more comfortable than a T shirt.

Old 07-12-2016, 06:26 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 882 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by guitarfish
I read that article a couple weeks ago. I guess it depends what kind of mesh you're talking about. My jacket is considered "textile/mesh". There are some vents on the front that allow airflow through & out the back, but there's no direct airflow across my skin. As I mentioned in a previous post, I rode home one a hot/humid 95 degree day last week for an hour plus, all highway. I was warm, but comfortable.

The article you referenced recommends "minimize your body’s exposure to direct wind blast," and I think modern textile/mesh jackets do that pretty well.
You've hit on a key point: you don't want airflow on your skin when it's above 93 as it will heat you up and dehydrate you quicker. Most people don't think about dehydration, but when it's that hot you need to be consuming a helluva lot of fluids to stay ahead of it.

In serious heat (110+) I find I'm the most comfortable in a lightweight suit with all the vents closed. It creates a microclimate which is cooler than the outside air. I still suck down water through a hydration bladder, but I lose much less moisture due to evaporation and stay cooler with the sweat on my skin.

The following users liked this post:
__Splat__ (07-16-2021)
Old 07-13-2016, 08:19 AM
PPBART
Elite HDF Member
Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
...And the sun never hits your skin. There's a reason so many farm workers in the fields wear loose-fitting, long sleeved white shirts.
My dad was a farmer and his standard attire -- even in the summer heat/humidity of south Louisiana -- was khaki pants and long-sleeved shirt.

I've got a couple of mesh jackets. One is a "freebie" thrown into the deal when I bought a new 2008 FXD -- typical HD orange and black. I like it and wear it sometimes, but the armor is really heavy. As an alternative I later (maybe 2009?) bought a Tourmaster jacket. It's much lighter, light gray and black, reasonably comfortable for year-round wear (at least, in south Louisiana ), and I do wear it regularly. Very durable jacket, never had any problems with zippers, seams, etc, but the velcro on the wrist straps is getting a bit weak. I've never crashed in either jacket, so no experience on their crash protection.

Last edited by PPBART; 07-13-2016 at 08:21 AM.
Old 07-13-2016, 09:03 AM
TooTall2
Intermediate
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PPBART
My dad was a farmer and his standard attire -- even in the summer heat/humidity of south Louisiana -- was khaki pants and long-sleeved shirt.

I've got a couple of mesh jackets. One is a "freebie" thrown into the deal when I bought a new 2008 FXD -- typical HD orange and black. I like it and wear it sometimes, but the armor is really heavy. As an alternative I later (maybe 2009?) bought a Tourmaster jacket. It's much lighter, light gray and black, reasonably comfortable for year-round wear (at least, in south Louisiana ), and I do wear it regularly. Very durable jacket, never had any problems with zippers, seams, etc, but the velcro on the wrist straps is getting a bit weak. I've never crashed in either jacket, so no experience on their crash protection.
Yea, I'm in Lafayette so I can relate. I'm in your Father's camp, long sleeve cotton for me. I think it's unusually for a biker to do that but it's works for me Road all day across Kansas at 112 F that way. 117 F in Nevada once. I think the key no matter what you do is "Water". The tour master is the best IMO.