Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New rotor, pads, tires

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2016, 04:51 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts
Default New rotor, pads, tires

Finally got out on the bike for a very short ride yesterday, still stinking hot and uncomfortable but so damn nice to be back riding even if for just a bit! Rear tire is deadsville with front not far behind. I've had new Pirelli Night Dragons sitting in the garage along with an Arlen Ness Big Brake and some Lyndall Gold + pads.

Also had to finish installing the new mirrors that Suede sent me!

This morning, bright and early I got up to start tearing down the bike when the garage was a mere 90 degrees. Got the wheels removed, brake rotor installed, and then loaded them in the car to drop off at a nearby Indy. Hoping he can install and balance the tires cheaply on Tuesday.

I've never changed brake pads before so been reading the shop manual, figure I'll swap them out once I get the wheels back prior to re-installing. Seems pretty straight forward but if anyone has any tips feel free to let me know!

New Rotor!

Mirrors from Suede, Joker Machine, love the adjustability and visibility

Now that we've moved to a new house with more garage space I'll be able to set up a small work area. The golf cart gets in the way a bit but can be easily moved!

In the trunk, ready to go to the shop

Last edited by robbyville; 08-07-2016 at 04:56 PM.
Old 08-07-2016, 05:25 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member

Just noticed that my shop manual states that I should be replacing the mounting bolts for the rotors when removing. I mounted the new rotor using the old bolts with a bit of blue locktite... mistake?

Old 08-07-2016, 05:39 PM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,750 Likes on 3,962 Posts

The front rotor bolts are 16 - 24 ft lbs; you should be fine with the blue 242 loctite. Now if it was the rear pulley bolts, that's a very different story Change them out; every time...

Edit: Wait... why do you have a golf cart? That's valuable motorcycle space...

Last edited by TinCupChalice; 08-07-2016 at 05:41 PM.
Old 08-07-2016, 05:40 PM
cvaria
Supporter
Received 2,195 Likes on 1,681 Posts

Originally Posted by robbyville
Just noticed that my shop manual states that I should be replacing the mounting bolts for the rotors when removing. I mounted the new rotor using the old bolts with a bit of blue locktite... mistake?
one use bolts but, people get away with it. i'd replace them.

Old 08-07-2016, 06:05 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by TinCupChalice
The front rotor bolts are 16 - 24 ft lbs; you should be fine with the blue 242 loctite. Now if it was the rear pulley bolts, that's a very different story Change them out; every time...

Edit: Wait... why do you have a golf cart? That's valuable motorcycle space...
LOL, when we moved here and put our son in school we quickly discovered the chaos of afternoon pickup. Absolutely bonkers, can take 25 minutes to pick him up in a car. Thankfully Palm Desert is very golf cart friendly with cart/bike lanes everywhere so we can drive right to his school and get him. Good fun for heading to local "nightlife" as well! My wife uses it but I look at it every day wanting to slap myself for getting it... Now though I've started to think about some modifications to the speed controller, hmmm...

Originally Posted by cvaria
one use bolts but, people get away with it. i'd replace them.
Guess I'll cruise by the dealer and see if they have any. Or could I get a replacement at any local hardware store?

Old 08-07-2016, 06:15 PM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,750 Likes on 3,962 Posts

If you're going to change the rotor bolts out at least get some nice chrome bolts; don't go to the hardware store, get them from the HD dealer. I always pull the rotors and pulley off when I do tire changes. I figure 2 changes on the rotors but I always replace the pulley bolts every time; the torque on those pulley bolts is heavy duty...

Old 08-07-2016, 06:33 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member

will do, thanks!

Old 08-07-2016, 08:35 PM
Suede Blue Man
HDF Community Team

Received 739 Likes on 507 Posts

Looks good Robby, I dig the Cragars too

Having the rear wheel off is a good opportunity to clean the swing arm and around it down there where it's a bother when mounted like normal.

I took off my wheel weights couple weeks ago and put in the "Ride-On" stuff, are you using it or weights?

Old 08-07-2016, 08:51 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Suede Blue Man
Looks good Robby, I dig the Cragars too

Having the rear wheel off is a good opportunity to clean the swing arm and around it down there where it's a bother when mounted like normal.

I took off my wheel weights couple weeks ago and put in the "Ride-On" stuff, are you using it or weights?
Thanks!

I'm not sure yet. If I put the ride on in don't I need a valve with removable core? I'll ask the Indy as well

Old 08-07-2016, 08:53 PM
Ghost_13
Grand HDF Member
Received 7,295 Likes on 3,027 Posts

Originally Posted by robbyville
I've never changed brake pads before so been reading the shop manual, figure I'll swap them out once I get the wheels back prior to re-installing. Seems pretty straight forward but if anyone has any tips feel free to let me know!
Separate the old pads, while still in the calipers, to open up the caliper pistons - makes getting the calipers w/ new pads over the rotor easier (be gentle)

This a good time to also replace the bake fluid - that stuff does wear out

You balancing the wheels & tires w/ weights / beads / ride on

Ghost

Quick Reply: New rotor, pads, tires