Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cool water vest for the dyna

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 05:45 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts
Default cool water vest for the dyna

Well, the other day I had the Dyna all packed up for my regular Vegas work visit, finally a few days with temps between 99 and 101. Jonesing so much for a good ride. Then while at work I find out they need me to bring a few items to our location there (kids booster seats believe it or not), can't strap them to the bike so back home I go to get the car, big bummer!

Ultimately the temps were around 108 and there was some nasty weather on the way out so perhaps it was an omen.

At any rate, right before I left to come back home yesterday I drove by a place in Vegas called Cycle Gear, super nice folks. I was planning to buy some gloves, but I've been so pissed about not being able to ride my Dyna due to heat that they showed me this vest that you immerse in water squish out and keeps your temp cool. Two of the guys there use them pretty regularly and spoke well of them. For $60 I got the vest, a necktie/headband kind of thing and a compression style shirt. Figured why not, make my Dyna and myself happy with a good long ride.

Hoping to this out this weekend!

Old 08-25-2016, 05:48 PM
Suede Blue Man
HDF Community Team

Received 739 Likes on 507 Posts

Cool.

Old 08-25-2016, 05:57 PM
DonN
Road Warrior
Received 207 Likes on 141 Posts

Soak in water and put in fridge for best effect.

Old 08-25-2016, 06:11 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by DonN
Soak in water and put in fridge for best effect.
Thanks!

Do you use one? How long does it last for?

Guy told me to do compression shirt against skin (no soaking), then the vest, and then my summer leather/mesh jacket. Sound right?

Old 08-25-2016, 06:18 PM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,524 Likes on 2,138 Posts

I remember years ago the sharper image (remember them?) had a gizmo you wore around your neck that was open at the front and had a small thermoelectric cooling plate that went against the back of your neck that supposedly kept you dramatically cooler. Not sure how well that would work in your surface of Mercury style heat, but it always interested me...

Old 08-25-2016, 07:18 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,065 Likes on 2,501 Posts

I use one, actually two when I ride LD. One under my jacket and the other inside a dry bag with water in it (in my saddlebag). At fuel stops I switch them out and let the one I had been wearing soak in the bag.

Old 08-25-2016, 10:14 PM
Ghost_13
Grand HDF Member
Received 7,295 Likes on 3,027 Posts

Got this back in 2011 when we had a series of 107 days

To test..., I put it on under the heaviest coat I had - then walked around outside during heat of the day

Gawkers went ape **** crazy

I was cool as a cucumber..., and LMAO

They work

Ghost

https://www.texascoolvest.com/

Old 08-25-2016, 10:50 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Mchad
I remember years ago the sharper image (remember them?) had a gizmo you wore around your neck that was open at the front and had a small thermoelectric cooling plate that went against the back of your neck that supposedly kept you dramatically cooler. Not sure how well that would work in your surface of Mercury style heat, but it always interested me...
Lol yeah not sure what might help but anything is worth a try. Especially since part of the move from VA to here was the ability to ride year round... Not!

At this point I'd say I was able too ride more there, it was pretty rare when I couldn't ride at least once per week, vs right now where the bike has been idle most of the summer.

Originally Posted by Ghost_13
Got this back in 2011 when we had a series of 107 days

To test..., I put it on under the heaviest coat I had - then walked around outside during heat of the day

Gawkers went ape **** crazy

I was cool as a cucumber..., and LMAO

They work

Ghost

https://www.texascoolvest.com/
Thanks guys, I'm looking forward to giving it a shot this weekend

Old 08-26-2016, 12:01 AM
Fireguy88
Road Master
Received 56 Likes on 42 Posts

I rode through Vegas yesterday. It was miserable. Could have used that vest today as well. This southwest heat is an *** kicker. Dig the scenery though.

Old 08-26-2016, 12:12 AM
veritas.archangel
Road Warrior
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm more surprised that you've never been into, or seen online, Cycle Gear before.

Quick Reply: cool water vest for the dyna