Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vegas and wheel alignment

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 07:17 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Vegas and wheel alignment

The heat at home finally broke enough (relatively speaking) to the point where I decided to take the bike on my bi-mthly work trip to Las Vegas. I wore the Water cooled vest that I spoke about on another thread. Huge difference riding 260 miles on back roads in 100 degree temps. Great ride though.

I was however freaking out that I was on low travel roads riding the bike that I just put new brake pads, tires, and a rotor on. Coupled with the fact that when I put my wheels back on, I truly didn't check alignment of anything other than torque values and such.

So I dropped into an indy two blocks away from our shop here. Super nice guy named Trik at Las Vegas Cycleworks. He took the bike in this morning, drove me to the office and within a couple hours had gone through and checked alignment. I had definitely not done my best work, it was out enough to notice and the belt was a little loose as well.

He also didn't want to charge me which was very nice of him, but settled on an amount that I pushed on him.

So now I'm confident in my ride home. Attached is a pic of the bike by my office so that I can get some brand recognition in

Looking forward to the ride home tomorrow. The new brake pads and rotor are great although I've now skidded with over application of brakes twice. Gotta practice my threshold braking again.

Old 09-07-2016, 08:15 PM
cvaria
Supporter
Received 2,195 Likes on 1,681 Posts

Originally Posted by robbyville

respect the ness, or it will bite you.

anyword from dna... turns out that the wheel i used on the dead bike was a dna. (clocking)

Last edited by cvaria; 09-07-2016 at 08:19 PM.
Old 09-07-2016, 08:28 PM
Suede Blue Man
HDF Community Team

Received 738 Likes on 506 Posts

That clunky axle adjuster, looks and works like something Stalin would have approved for the boys on the eastern front
That's something they could have easily fixed with better adjusters.

Old 09-07-2016, 09:54 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by cvaria
respect the ness, or it will bite you.

anyword from dna... turns out that the wheel i used on the dead bike was a dna. (clocking)
Nope sorry. I kind of gave up on that project due to spousal concerns... If you get my drift!

Originally Posted by Suede Blue Man
That clunky axle adjuster, looks and works like something Stalin would have approved for the boys on the eastern front
That's something they could have easily fixed with better adjusters.
Yeah agreed, still probably pretty simplistic of me to think that if I used the right spacers and simply counted the turns on each (ancient design or not) that I would be good to go.

Better safe than sorry I guess!

Heading home tomorrow aft, going to take some shots of the scenery this time around.

Old 09-09-2016, 04:48 AM
petefwa
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Be nice to hear how your trip home went and whether there was a noticeable improvement in how your bike felt to ride.

Old 09-09-2016, 03:05 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by petefwa
Be nice to hear how your trip home went and whether there was a noticeable improvement in how your bike felt to ride.
The ride back was awesome though still warm (102). Strangely the bike did feel different but not really in a good way. I know this is a horrible explanation but the bike felt a little "loose". Ihave no idea why, but it's definitely tracking straight and balanced. Kind of freaked me out a little.

There are a lot of areas on the backroads with drifting sand and gravel. Every time I drive that way (even in the car), I make a mental note of where and clear lines so that I can be hyper vigilant when on the motorcycle going 75mph. So perhaps I was so intent on that, that I made myself a little squeemish, holding on too tight or something. Dunno.

Either way though the ride was awesome, so good to be back on the bike.

Just cause I trust everyone here so much to laugh at me just a little and not break *****, here's a pic of the bruise that's spreading throughout my arm. Stupid yet funny story:

When I got to LV, before going to the hotel I decided to stop in to the Large LV HD Dealer and check out the new bikes. I swooped in looking all cool and pulled into a parking space. As I was parking I must have touched the front brake (can't freaking believe it) doing maybe 1 mph and the bike went down. In my embarasment, I reached down to grab the bike and try to hold it up and wrenched my arm pulling the bicep. Thought I had torn something the muscle was so knotted up.

Went into the dealership where thankfully nobody saw to work on flexing my arm since it was in so much pain, thinking I'd have to do the call of shame or something. At any rate just a pulled muscle which started to feel better the next day but then then bruising started. Two days later it's all up my arm. All feels fine, must have just broken some blood vessels!

Old 09-09-2016, 03:29 PM
F86
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 898 Likes on 599 Posts

Ouch!!!

I remember, many moons ago (late '80s?), cruising down Main Street in Daytona during Bike Week, trying to look all cool. I was in first gear going like 5mph when my old ironhead Sporty decided to stall, instantly stopping the wheel from rotating. It caught me so unexpectedly that I just kind of keeled over. But in my case, EVERYONE saw!

The following users liked this post:
robbyville (09-09-2016)
Old 09-09-2016, 04:14 PM
Kraken
Cruiser
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I don't even mess with the adjusters unless I'm doing the belt tension, I just verify the alignment afterwards. Pretty easy to do with a small metal rod and a o-ring. If you're feeling fancy get the V-Twin mfg hollow axle plugs "tool" for $20 vs the Jims one that sells for $130 or use tape/cork with your fancy welding rod/coat hanger tool. Belt tension gauges aren't much either.

Old 09-09-2016, 04:31 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by F86
Ouch!!!

I remember, many moons ago (late '80s?), cruising down Main Street in Daytona during Bike Week, trying to look all cool. I was in first gear going like 5mph when my old ironhead Sporty decided to stall, instantly stopping the wheel from rotating. It caught me so unexpectedly that I just kind of keeled over. But in my case, EVERYONE saw!
Ha!

I felt so freaking goofy and stupid. The worst was when I thought I had actually damaged something. Kept thinking that I'd have to leave the bike and fly back home after work, would never live it down with the spouse who worries incessantly about my taking the back way where phone service is sporadic and very little traffic for 240 miles. But I hate Interstate driving and that actually takes longer in the end.

Old 09-09-2016, 04:33 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Kraken
I don't even mess with the adjusters unless I'm doing the belt tension, I just verify the alignment afterwards. Pretty easy to do with a small metal rod and a o-ring. If you're feeling fancy get the V-Twin mfg hollow axle plugs "tool" for $20 vs the Jims one that sells for $130 or use tape/cork with your fancy welding rod/coat hanger tool. Belt tension gauges aren't much either.
I have the belt tension guage but should have gotten the alignment one as well. I had planned on doing it prior to leaving and then when I didn't I just sort of felt that I shouldn't be driving long distances on untraveled roads being worried about it.

Quick Reply: Vegas and wheel alignment