Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

meguiars tech 2.0 or ultama wax ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2016, 06:36 PM
Sierra977
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,988 Likes on 2,065 Posts

Originally Posted by groupw
...... is this the front ... or the rear fender ?
Driver's side rear fender

Old 12-25-2016, 07:31 PM
King-a-ling
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by T Man
I asked a dealer once what they use to shine up their bikes in the showroom, I was surprised when they told me they use Pledge furniture polish. I have used it ever since. If you get the orange scented one your bike will even smell nice.
I love me some pledge. I like the blue can and have experimented with it for years on government vehicles. It does great on plastic headlamps etc and to me is better than plestic on the windscreen. I usually use spray on wax except during pollen season, then its pledge. It's a product like wd40.

Old 12-26-2016, 02:19 AM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 463 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by Sierra977
Driver's side rear fender
....... i thought that looked like a t-bird !

The following users liked this post:
Sierra977 (12-26-2016)
Old 12-26-2016, 11:09 AM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,501 Likes on 1,554 Posts

i think i'm going to give the Ultimate wax a try next time around.

Old 12-26-2016, 06:30 PM
eaglefan1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,155 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by hattitude
"meguiars tech 2.0 or ultimate wax"- if you're talking about both Meguiar's products, they're both synthetic waxes and will be very similar in performance...

I learned a lot about paint care & detailing when I had a black Corvette that I used to show once in awhile....

Most good detailers will tell you the process is more important than the product.

If you compare apples to apples these days, similar products will do about the same. There really isn't a "magic bullet" product that is significantly better than the others.... Natural waxes, like carnuba, look great but need to be renewed frequently. Synthetic waxes, usually called sealants, will last longer. The different formulations will make one easier to apply than another. Just decide what kind of product you want, pick an application type (paste, liquid, or spray) and you're on your way...

If you just follow a couple basic rules, clean before polishing and/or waxing and use microfiber towels, you'll be treating your paint well.... You can keep your bike looking great without the need to constantly go through a complete detail process...

my 2 cents....
This is spot on. I detail cars for a side gig and there is no "Magic" product. Its all about doing the proper steps.
Wash
IronX
Clay/Clay alternative
Wash
Compound, if necessary
Polish
LSP

With that said, there have been some "Game Changer" products in the last 5 years. Menzerna FG400 and paint coatings to name a couple.

Use quality products that are designed for automotive/motorcycle use and you will be fine.

Old 12-26-2016, 06:40 PM
kel03
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,046 Likes on 4,356 Posts

Good info, will keep it on file for the spring clean up !

Old 12-26-2016, 08:24 PM
eaglefan1
Stellar HDF Member

Also, many many people get all wrapped up in this wax or that wax. What makes a "Perfect" finish is "Perfect" polishing.
A panel is polished out correctly, wiped down with a IPA mixture. Panel is split in half. 2.0 is put on one side and ultima on the other side. Very few people, if any, could tell the difference.

However, if one side is replaced with a beauty wax, more people would see the difference.
Same goes with a sealant, different look along with longer longevity.
Then you have coatings, which are in a whole different realm.
So, spend your time finishing out the paint to as close to perfect as you can and you will be happy with your results

Old 12-26-2016, 08:45 PM
vbx07
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by eaglefan1
Also, many many people get all wrapped up in this wax or that wax. What makes a "Perfect" finish is "Perfect" polishing.
A panel is polished out correctly, wiped down with a IPA mixture. Panel is split in half. 2.0 is put on one side and ultima on the other side. Very few people, if any, could tell the difference.

However, if one side is replaced with a beauty wax, more people would see the difference.
Same goes with a sealant, different look along with longer longevity.
Then you have coatings, which are in a whole different realm.
So, spend your time finishing out the paint to as close to perfect as you can and you will be happy with your results
A panel is polished out correctly, wiped down with a IPA mixture. I prefer a nice cream ale for polishing!

Old 12-26-2016, 09:01 PM
eaglefan1
Stellar HDF Member

Ill take the silver bullet!

Alcohol and DI water mixture is used to clean the panel of all oils and if fillers are present. Some polishes contain fillers

Old 12-27-2016, 01:57 AM
Ozbernie
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by eaglefan1
This is spot on. I detail cars for a side gig and there is no "Magic" product. Its all about doing the proper steps.
Wash
IronX
Clay/Clay alternative
Wash
Compound, if necessary
Polish
LSP

With that said, there have been some "Game Changer" products in the last 5 years. Menzerna FG400 and paint coatings to name a couple.

Use quality products that are designed for automotive/motorcycle use and you will be fine.
👍👌

Quick Reply: meguiars tech 2.0 or ultama wax ?