Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best battery?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 12:43 PM
rquest
Road Master
Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Best battery?

You know I did a search for 'best battery' and didn't find any results? lol It seems I need a lot of amperage to start my Train with the 10:1 pistons and money isn't a real issue. I don't want to throw money away but things like amperage, warranty, longevity, etc are more important than a good deal to me right now. Opinions?

Old 03-01-2017, 01:59 PM
lbottini
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Good question. I need one too.

Old 03-01-2017, 02:36 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,869 Likes on 4,114 Posts

There are no "best" batteries. There are several brands that members use for one reason or another and everyone likes what they like. Some batteries last longer than others no matter what brand. Warranties on the batteries will differ as well.

As you will see, this thread will end up as an "I use the (fill in the blank) battery" thread.

These prior threads may help: https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...ttery+hdforums

Last edited by Bone Doc; 03-01-2017 at 05:55 PM.
The following users liked this post:
rquest (03-01-2017)
Old 03-01-2017, 05:52 PM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,794 Likes on 789 Posts

I put a Yuasa GYZ20HL (320 CCA, 20Ah) in Reaper last year. No issues whatsoever, even starting in below freezing temps. Her motor has 10.5:1 compression with releases.

Cheers!

Last edited by Clammy; 03-01-2017 at 05:54 PM.
rquest (03-01-2017)
Old 03-01-2017, 08:24 PM
rquest
Road Master

Originally Posted by Bone Doc
There are no "best" batteries. There are several brands that members use for one reason or another and everyone likes what they like. Some batteries last longer than others no matter what brand. Warranties on the batteries will differ as well.
As you will see, this thread will end up as an "I use the (fill in the blank) battery" thread.
These prior threads may help: https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...ttery+hdforums
Well I know this and that would't be such a bad thing and I've already said the main thing I'm concerned with is amperage. I guess I was also interested in the smaller, lighter, new tech batteries.

Old 03-01-2017, 08:41 PM
dfwhockey17
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 250 Posts

I am currently using the new Twin Power Lithium batteries in both of my softails with gret results. My Twin Cam is a high compression 117" and my Evo is a stock 80". With 400cca's on tap both bikes start without hesitation every time. Since money isn't an issue for you and you want a strong battery this is what I would recommend. The weight savings is just icing on the cake...
http://twinpower-usa.com/battery/lit...n-battery.html

Old 03-01-2017, 09:16 PM
rquest
Road Master

Originally Posted by dfwhockey17
I am currently using the new Twin Power Lithium batteries in both of my softails with gret results. My Twin Cam is a high compression 117" and my Evo is a stock 80". With 400cca's on tap both bikes start without hesitation every time. Since money isn't an issue for you and you want a strong battery this is what I would recommend. The weight savings is just icing on the cake...
http://twinpower-usa.com/battery/lit...n-battery.html
wooh, I know I said price wasn't a problem but $300? it better last a couple years for that much...Haha
EDIT: Well that was my first impression, turns out $225 with a 2 year warranty might be a good deal? Thanks. Now, does anyone know what these "DLFP-20L-BS DLFP-20L-BS" mean? And don't they go by cold cranking power anymore?

Last edited by rquest; 03-01-2017 at 09:50 PM.
Old 03-01-2017, 11:18 PM
joebotics
Road Warrior
Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

I use the Anti Gravity 16 Cell battery which I imagine is pretty similar to the Twin Power, both being Lithium-Ion Phosphate technology.. the only reason I chose Lithium-Ion Phosphate batteries is the space constrains of my motorcycle... Otherwise I would stick with AGM type batteries.. Lithium-Ion Phosphate are great space savers.. but:

a) it takes a while to warm up the battery in cold conditions (and you should follow the correct procedure)
b) if the battery is discharged you need to use a Lithium battery charger specifically made for these type of batteries.
c) usually more expensive than AGM

just my two corroded cents.. :-)

Last edited by joebotics; 03-01-2017 at 11:23 PM.
rquest (03-02-2017)
Old 03-01-2017, 11:19 PM
JekyllnHyde
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 250 Likes on 146 Posts

Yuasa GYZ20HL all the way for me. Going on 6 years on my Low Rider and still cranking up like it's new.

Last edited by JekyllnHyde; 03-02-2017 at 01:39 AM.
Old 03-01-2017, 11:57 PM
rquest
Road Master

Originally Posted by joebotics
I use the Anti Gravity 16 Cell battery which I imagine is pretty similar to the Twin Power, both being Lithium-Ion Phosphate technology.. the only reason I chose Lithium-Ion Phosphate batteries is the space constrains of my motorcycle... Otherwise I would stick with AGM type batteries.. Lithium-Ion Phosphate are great space savers.. but:

a) it takes a while to warm up the battery in cold conditions (and you should follow the correct procedure)
b) if the battery is discharged you need to use a Lithium battery charger specifically made for these type of batteries.
c) usually more expensive than AGM

just my two corroded cents.. :-)
Hey Joe, good to hear from you again. so can you use a regular trickle charger when not in use, that could be a deal buster? (and now I see the terminals are on the top...no good...)
Also I finally put my new front end together thanks to your help. I used the smaller Gaters like you recommended, cut down some stainless pipes, had them powder-coated and used them for the upper tubes with the new 5 degree raked trees.

Last edited by rquest; 03-02-2017 at 12:23 AM.

Quick Reply: Best battery?