General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Call me a wuss, but what's your guys views on a reinforced jacket or padded shirt as a beginner?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 10:41 AM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by maKINGwaffles
Thanks for making me feel better about this and you are all completely right. To be honest, even after driving 1500 miles across Asia on a tiny Asian bike, I still get a bit scared when hopping on a 1200 sportster, so whatever makes me comfortable is what matters.

Can anybody recommend some good brands of shirts and jackets that provide good protection and ventilation for hot summer days?
I have worn Draggin' Jeans for years. They look like regular jeans (not baggy like many Kevlar lined jeans). I highly recommend them.

I have been riding since 1969 and just passed 50,000 miles on my current bike. My normal summer riding outfit was a t-shirt and a denim vest (for the pockets) or just a "mechanic shirt" as shown in my profile picture. But last summer as I headed west on a tour in t-shirt and denim, my brand new rear tire picked up a screw and blew out at 75 mph. I wasn't badly hurt all things considered--broken scapula (shoulder blade) and 3 broken ribs--and, because I got the bike to the shoulder before it threw me I had zero road rash.

Nevertheless, I decided to "upgrade" my summer riding outfit and bought this jacket, which is exceptionally cheap for an H-D branded product) and the CE armor for shoulders and elbows.

I wore it for the first time when I was riding in Texas earlier this month. The temps were in the low 90's and I was comfortable. I think it may actually be cooler than riding with exposed skin. The air blows straight through it.

At 62 years old, I stopped caring about what other people think decades ago. But if any internet tough guy wants to make fun of me, here you go (nobody does it to my face at 6'2", 230 and a dozen years as a martial arts tournament fighter )--This is me, in the outfit I described, on River Road, along the Guadalupe River north of San Antonio. Again, temps were in the low 90s that day. (And yes, my wife and I wore helmets in that non-helmet state.)

By the way, none of the dealerships near me stocked this jacket (too inexpensive I guess) so I ordered it from H-D online. They have a no cost return policy if you don't like it or it doesn't fit. The dealer told me that if I ordered it through them, it was a "special order" and no return or exchange would be allowed. So it was better done through the H-D website anyway. It was a fast and efficient process.

Last edited by TKDKurt; 04-27-2017 at 11:15 AM.
The following users liked this post:
toppy (04-27-2017)
Old 04-27-2017, 10:44 AM
deadman77
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 89 Posts

Good idea for anyone.

Old 04-27-2017, 10:48 AM
uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,608 Likes on 2,293 Posts

Wear what makes you happy. Me, Full face, armored leather jacket, etc... As stated, who cares what your friends think. Frankly, too much SOA.... Respect, who cares. Just dont ride like a dick and thats all the respect you need.

Last edited by uncle kebo; 04-27-2017 at 10:50 AM.
toppy (04-27-2017)
Old 04-27-2017, 10:56 AM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,669 Likes on 1,661 Posts

The funny part about all this is that, really, the only guys who don't "get respect" are the guys who are obviously trying too hard to get it.

Just be yourself. Wear what makes you comfortable...both in terms of heat management and crash protection.

If that means you end up looking like a character from a bad, 70's "biker" movie, so be it. If that means you end up looking like one of the Power Rangers, so be it.

Wherever you end up, own it.

Old 04-27-2017, 10:58 AM
Kayakguy
Road Captain
Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts

I wear real riding boots...as in buckles and armor, an armored jacket and a full face helmet at a minimum.

When traveling I often wear a full Kevlar mesh suit. I can wear skivvies and a t-shirt and it is super cool and comfortable in hot weather. I wear this jacket in the warmer weather here as well but admittedly not the bottoms when I am riding around town or to my office.

Old 04-27-2017, 11:06 AM
Roorat60
Tourer
Received 102 Likes on 64 Posts

According to my MSF Instructor, the rule is don't cover/protect anything you're willing to lose. In other words, it is up to you, the rider, to determine how much you want to keep and keep protected. I wear a full face modular helmet, hi vis vented/armor jacket, heavy duty non slip boots, blue jeans and gloves all the time. I have yet to find a good pair of riding pants/jeans that fit properly, otherwise I'd wear the lined/protected ones, too. I live in Alabama and understand the heat is a factor, but a little heat is acceptable vs losing my skin. If the weather is cooler, I wear my heavy leather jacket and chaps. I haven't had anyone give me any grief over it, but I'm a lady, so maybe they forgive me for it.

toppy (04-27-2017)
Old 04-27-2017, 12:38 PM
maKINGwaffles
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kryingame
Hey Wuss,
Here's a good tip for you. Go down to Cyclegear in North Charleston. Speak to the service manager, I forget his name. Tell him what you're looking at and he'll set you up good.
The address is:
4400 Dorchester Rd Ste 115, North Charleston, SC 29405

Over the Winter, I bought some really good insulated winter gear there--called, "Freeze out." That stuff really worked well. Kept me warm without feeling bulky.

This way, you don't have to deal with online ordering and guessing. You can try stuff on.

Let us know if you have additional questions. And again, don't worry about what people think...
Exactly what I did. Went down to cycle gear and bought a Sedici mesh jacket and threw a back pad in there and walked out the door for about $150.

On Amazon I bought a Bell Qualifier helmet, a set of gloves, and jeans. May consider boots but for now, I'm maxed out on the budget so my Timberlands will have to do.

Old 04-27-2017, 12:48 PM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 25,639 Likes on 12,014 Posts

The HD community? It's as varied and diverse as any community can be. Sure, the generalization is that we're all a bunch of doo rag wearing pirates. And of course some folks go that route.

Personally, I won't wear a jacket without armor. I have a bunch of them for different conditions. Mesh, leather, waxed cotton, ballistic nylon, gortex.....they all serve a purpose and they all have armor in the shoulders, back, and elbows.

Gloves - always. I have as many different gloves as different jackets, for as many different uses. A good do it all glove is a short gauntlet deerskin glove like Fox Creek sells.

Pants - Same deal - I have mesh, cold weather, and Bohn under armor for when I wear jeans. Jeans are pretty much worthless in a fall, so I plan on upping my game to some kevlar jeans over the Bohn armor.

Helmets - you guessed it - a bunch of different ones.

In the end, you show up in a nice leather jacket with armor, Kevlar jeans with knee pads, gloves, and whatever helmet you like, you won't raise any eyebrows at all, not that it should matter. But no one likes to stick out - especially when you're new to something.

Old 04-27-2017, 12:49 PM
heritageblue2013
Grand HDF Member
Received 564 Likes on 314 Posts

Here in Florida we wear tank tops, gym shorts, and flip flops.

Except at the bike rallies, then we wear pirate outfits so we do not look out of place.

Old 04-27-2017, 12:52 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 17,311 Likes on 7,066 Posts

Safety first always!

I am much safer in the winter months than the summer. I wear less when it gets hot which is not a good thing.

Quick Reply: Call me a wuss, but what's your guys views on a reinforced jacket or padded shirt as a beginner?