General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Call me a wuss, but what's your guys views on a reinforced jacket or padded shirt as a beginner?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 07:36 AM
maKINGwaffles
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Call me a wuss, but what's your guys views on a reinforced jacket or padded shirt as a beginner?

I've purchased some reinforced jeans which are on the way. Hopefully I'll like them but they weren't much more than a pair of Levis, have great reviews and supposedly look like any other pair of jeans. Now I'm looking at jackets or reinforced shirts and most look like you can tell they are padded. First off, they are not cheap. Secondly, as a young solo rider who looks nothing like a biker, I expect it to be a bit tougher to gain respect from some the veteran bikers, and with good reason since respect is earned not given. On the other hand, I don't want to give them a reason to disrespect me before even knowing my name bc I look like a joke in my puffy padded jacket. Of course I value safety over what somebody thinks about me, but IMO if I fall off a bike I'm going to be pretty screwed anyhow. Thirdly, kevlar flannel shirts or padded jackets sound hot. I live in SC and don't plan on riding at night.

So how much do these reinforced shirts and jackets actually protect you and do you think it's worth investing in as a beginner? Also, what does the HD community actually think about them. Please be honest.

Last edited by maKINGwaffles; 04-27-2017 at 07:41 AM.
Old 04-27-2017, 07:43 AM
kwkride
Cruiser

Received 80 Likes on 40 Posts

Don't worry about it. Nobody cares what you're wearing. I always wear Hi-vis armored jackets and a full face helmet. Nobody has ever even mentioned it, not even when I did a couple hundred mile ride with an MC after a friend passed.

Old 04-27-2017, 07:49 AM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 433 Likes on 260 Posts

Some years ago I hit a deer, took a long slide on the pavement and when I regained consciousness I stood up without a broken bone (luck) or any open wounds (kevlar). I currently wear a Hellride kevlar shirt with CE inserts and just bought a Bikers Gear kevlar/CE armor hoodie for rides with the group I am joining (dress code). Touring, I'll wear an FXR fabric jacket from HD with CE inserts. I also have another pair of Draggin jeans.
The CE armor provides minimal impact protection, I know, but to have skin rubbed through on pavement is not pretty nor does it heal well...

I've been riding since 1968 so don't consider myself a beginner. Don't let the parking lot "bullies" bother you about a little concern for your skin. I also have worn a modular helmet (currently Schuberth) since just before the deer impact, BTW, and don't care what anyone else wants to wear (or not).

The following users liked this post:
Minister1955 (04-27-2017)
Old 04-27-2017, 07:51 AM
teal379
Tourer
Received 171 Likes on 92 Posts

I think they're a good idea if you have 0 miles on a motorcycle or over 10 million miles on a motorcycle.

As you ride - your skin doesn't get tougher and the asphalt doesn't care how many miles you have. Put a bike down and it shreds your skin with equal opportunity.

I don't ride for respect - I ride because I love it. If I made every decision based upon what I think others will think - I'd never be able to leave the house.

I've gone down with them on - saved my left arm skin/shoulder. My full face helmet kept me having a face. I always wear both.

This whole "respect" thing is so overblown and juvenile. Golden rule and move on.

Old 04-27-2017, 07:54 AM
SBRob
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,097 Likes on 1,635 Posts

First off...NEVER EVER worry what the "HD Community" thinks about what you wear. Wear what makes you feel good and enjoy your ride.

I have a couple armored jackets I wear when I'm riding my Harley or one of my Jap bikes. They do offer some extra protection if you decide to take a slide on the pavement.

It's not required to play dress up and look like a pirate when you ride your Harley...just sayin'.

Old 04-27-2017, 07:57 AM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,668 Likes on 1,660 Posts

No one worth bothering with gives a crap about what you wear. There's a term for groups that worry about what each other wears: Middle school girls' cliques.

Wear whatever makes you comfortable.

The following 3 users liked this post by 0maha:
Jay Guild (04-27-2017), kngpn (04-27-2017), mctraveler (04-27-2017)
Old 04-27-2017, 07:58 AM
PPearl
Tourer
Received 99 Likes on 72 Posts

I think it's a great idea. It's your skin, how much of it would you like to leave on the pavement? Dress for the slide.

An armored mesh jacket really isn't hot at all once you're moving. Pick one with CE approved armor in the shoulders, elbows, and spine.

The following 2 users liked this post by PPearl:
mctraveler (04-27-2017), SBRob (04-27-2017)
Old 04-27-2017, 08:01 AM
JediGoalie30
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Armor is a good thing. My wife and I were wearing armored jackets (elbow and shoulder pads) when I got clipped by someone who forgot to yield entering a traffic circle. It was a relatively low speed sideswipe impact, but our jacket armor (and helmets, boots, and gloves) surely saved us from coming out of it worse than we did (bruises, strains and sprains, but nothing broken). As it was, my elbow got bloodied through my FXRG leather jacket and the armor, but there is probably a good chance I would have broken something without it. Look at it this way...there are a lot of idiots out there driving around, and more than a few of them shouldn't be. Hopefully it won't happen, but in the unfortunate event that you end up having a REALLY close encounter with one of them, what do you want to be wearing that day?

Old 04-27-2017, 08:08 AM
CrBear
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,994 Likes on 1,659 Posts

I've been riding with the Harley mesh jacket with armor for 4 years. Cool in warmer months and a liner inside for cooler rides. It's perfect for me. You have to look after yourself first.

Old 04-27-2017, 08:09 AM
kryingame
Road Warrior
Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

You're a wuss, not for asking about wearing a jacket or levi's or whatever you said but because you're concerned about how you look and gaining respect, based on appearance.

No jacket or any article of clothing will gain you an ounce of respect. Clearly, this is a joke thread, right? Good one... ha ha ha.

You're watching to much t.v. Maybe riding isn't for you. I'm sorry, just being straight up with you.

The following users liked this post:
LoneWoolf (04-29-2017)

Quick Reply: Call me a wuss, but what's your guys views on a reinforced jacket or padded shirt as a beginner?