Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My SUPER Sporty Transformation...

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 08:58 PM
obz
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by cvaria
what's happening to the wheels?
Going to paint. I'm going to paint them just like what came on the older Iron's. I was going to powder coat them, but would rather not pay for the bearings and pulling/replacing them. Pretty sure I can get them painted with a poly paint for cheaper anyway and get 80% the durability... well maybe not 80...

Old 06-21-2017, 01:49 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,968 Likes on 2,310 Posts

Just saw this thread for the first time.

Looking GREAT!!!

Gonna be following, going forward.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 06-21-2017, 10:00 PM
obz
Road Captain

Update for today, got all of the parts to paint and to powder. Only ended up doing a handful in powder and most with paint. Wasn't looking forward to taking everything apart to get it powder coated, but I'm pretty sure paint will look good. Should have everything back in about a week or so. In the mean time I'm going to get everything ready for the parts. Getting excited now!

Old 06-24-2017, 10:47 PM
obz
Road Captain

Some work done today. Got the exhaust mounted, handle bars mounted, turn signals mounted, rerouted the ignition to clear the petcock, got the carburator and new longer throttle cables put together as well. My wife said, "it's finally starting to look like a bike again!" Can't agree more. Anyway, pics below:

Exhaust all mounted... I know, played out short shots, but I still like them:

Handlebars and carb mounted:

Ignition moved to behind rear cylinder:

Turn signals mounted:

Close up of ignition, also you can see the choke there... not too sure I like how it's currently mounted. I'm using some zip-ties, and I don't love how well it's holding it. May end up moving it.

The following users liked this post:
DK Custom (06-25-2017)
Old 06-24-2017, 11:10 PM
BlackBettyXLC
Cruiser
Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Good progress. Love that feeling when stuff starts to come back together.

I've always loved the HD Black Diamond grips/pegs, but being HD equipment, they're too expensive for me to justify. Maybe I can find some used...

Old 06-24-2017, 11:36 PM
obz
Road Captain

Originally Posted by BlackBettyXLC
Good progress. Love that feeling when stuff starts to come back together.

I've always loved the HD Black Diamond grips/pegs, but being HD equipment, they're too expensive for me to justify. Maybe I can find some used...
That's exactly what I did. Got the shifter, pegs, and grips for $65. Screaming deal if you ask me!

Old 06-25-2017, 12:58 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,968 Likes on 2,310 Posts

Originally Posted by obz
Some work done today. Got the exhaust mounted, handle bars mounted, turn signals mounted, rerouted the ignition to clear the petcock, got the carburator and new longer throttle cables put together as well. My wife said, "it's finally starting to look like a bike again!" Can't agree more. Anyway, pics below:

Exhaust all mounted... I know, played out short shots, but I still like them:

Handlebars and carb mounted:

Ignition moved to behind rear cylinder:

Turn signals mounted:

Close up of ignition, also you can see the choke there... not too sure I like how it's currently mounted. I'm using some zip-ties, and I don't love how well it's holding it. May end up moving it.

I like how you used the key tab to mount the choke. Maybe use the little stock choke bracket to secure it to the key tab?

Old 06-26-2017, 03:23 PM
obz
Road Captain

Originally Posted by DK Custom
I like how you used the key tab to mount the choke. Maybe use the little stock choke bracket to secure it to the key tab?
Good call! I was thinking the same thing after I posted this. Might make it look/work a little better.

Old 07-01-2017, 10:27 PM
obz
Road Captain

Got a few things done today. Sorry for the kinda crappy pictures, I'll get some better ones tomorrow. Got the intake all mounted up. Can I just say the Arlen Ness instructions kinda suck? Anyway, got that taken care of, and also picked up all my stuff from powder coat. Let me tell you, it looks AWESOME! Put on the new powder coated oil tank cover and battery cover, got the headlight mounted too. Had to drill a hole through the lower triple tree, but the gloss black looks AWESOME! Re-mounted the chock using the stock mount bracket. Looks much better, but I'm worried that it'll hit the petcock. Guess we'll see. Also bought a chrome cover for the front of the triple trees that comes on the custom's and powdered it gloss black to finish off the front end. Oh, and can't forget, got the new clutch cable mounted up and finished buttoning up the left-hand controls. That side is ready to roll. Right side is about 75% there, but need to get the throttle cables all done up there too. Anyway, tomorrow will be finishing up some of the wiring and testing it, then 15K service time. I promise I'll get some better pictures too.

The following users liked this post:
cvaria (07-01-2017)
Old 07-01-2017, 10:33 PM
obz
Road Captain

Oh and if anyone is interested in the old oil cover that is painted the texture black (to match the engine) let me know.

Quick Reply: My SUPER Sporty Transformation...