EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Some Electrical Questions (92 FLSTC)

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 06:16 PM
Sand850
Cruiser
Received 75 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Some Electrical Questions (92 FLSTC)

Hey All....Been a while since I posted on forum. Back in April I started to replace the seals on the front end. Tore it down, replaced seals then haven't been able to get back to the project. (One wedding, 2 granddaughters, pacemaker, rehab.) Now I'm wrestling with 62 year old gray matter. Took pics as I tore down so for the most part I think I can manage. I do have a couple of questions and figured if one of you don't know, no-one does.

1. Broke a short ground wire attached to bottom of riser and a nut on the forks. Is this simply grounding the frame and the front end or does it serve some purpose in the overall electrical system ?

2. I was pretty rough on the wiring fittings trying to get them apart. Took off both tanks in hopes of being able to identify/match wires by color on the reverse block. No such luck. I do know that the yellow headlight wire goes in the #9 hole and the white wire goes in the #10 hole of the rear connector. Is there a source the tells the specific wire color to connector hole number that someone can lead me to ? Have a couple of loose wires (yeah I know) and would like to get them matched up correctly the first time.

What are the connectors on the wires called and what size are they ? Would like to replace them so I don't break down in BFE because I was too lazy/cheap to fix them the right way the first time.

Thanks.

Old 08-09-2017, 06:38 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,338 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Originally Posted by Sand850
Hey All....Been a while since I posted on forum. Back in April I started to replace the seals on the front end. Tore it down, replaced seals then haven't been able to get back to the project. (One wedding, 2 granddaughters, pacemaker, rehab.) Now I'm wrestling with 62 year old gray matter. Took pics as I tore down so for the most part I think I can manage. I do have a couple of questions and figured if one of you don't know, no-one does.

1. Broke a short ground wire attached to bottom of riser and a nut on the forks. Is this simply grounding the frame and the front end or does it serve some purpose in the overall electrical system ?

Yes it grounds the frame to the forks and at least your turn signals work off of it. Not sure what else.

2. I was pretty rough on the wiring fittings trying to get them apart. Took off both tanks in hopes of being able to identify/match wires by color on the reverse block. No such luck. I do know that the yellow headlight wire goes in the #9 hole and the white wire goes in the #10 hole of the rear connector. Is there a source the tells the specific wire color to connector hole number that someone can lead me to ? Have a couple of loose wires (yeah I know) and would like to get them matched up correctly the first time.

If you have the FSM you can trace the wiring diagrams to find what you are looking for. I'm not sure if it's true or not but I've heard that Clymer has colored diagrams that might make this a bit easier.

What are the connectors on the wires called and what size are they ? Would like to replace them so I don't break down in BFE because I was too lazy/cheap to fix them the right way the first time.

Those are AMP connectors. Most stock wires are 18 gauge if I remember right.

Thanks.

See above.

Old 08-10-2017, 05:04 AM
Yankee Dog
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,802 Likes on 957 Posts

I have the Mouser Electronics part numbers for those connectors so you can get them cheap. Also have the part numbers for the connector blocks.
sorry, but I am on the road enjoying the sights of Northern Michigan till the end of the week.
I can post the numbers then or you can try and find them at Mouser in the meantime. YD

Old 08-10-2017, 08:01 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Originally Posted by Yankee Dog
I have the Mouser Electronics part numbers for those connectors so you can get them cheap. Also have the part numbers for the connector blocks.
sorry, but I am on the road enjoying the sights of Northern Michigan till the end of the week.
I can post the numbers then or you can try and find them at Mouser in the meantime. YD
If they are direct OEM replacement parts I'd like the part numbers when you get the chance.

Old 08-10-2017, 10:43 AM
Sand850
Cruiser

Yankee Dog, thank you for your kind offer. Enjoy your trip and if you get the chance I would like to have the Mouser Electronics info.

texashillcountry, you are always one of the first to respond to our questions. Thank you. After you identified the name of what I was looking for I started looking around for AMP connectors. Thought you might like to have this for future reference.

Old 08-10-2017, 10:58 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Yankee Dog, thank you for your kind offer. Enjoy your trip and if you get the chance I would like to have the Mouser Electronics info.

texashillcountry, you are always one of the first to respond to our questions. Thank you. After you identified the name of what I was looking for I started looking around for AMP connectors. Thought you might like to have this for future reference.
Thanks but I have all that in my parts book.

I'm always looking for a cheaper price on parts though!!!!

Old 08-10-2017, 11:06 AM
Sand850
Cruiser

Yeah I agree about saving a few bucks. Know of an affordable source for the hand tool used to attach these pins ?

Old 08-10-2017, 11:10 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Yeah I agree about saving a few bucks. Know of an affordable source for the hand tool used to attach these pins ?
Believe it or not the best prices that I've found are on Amazon.

This one is listed at over $100 in Drag Specialties catalog.
Amazon Amazon

Your FSM has a phone number in it for the other tool that's direct from the factory that makes them and they are pretty cheap there too.

Here is the crimping tool
Amazon Amazon

FWIW I always use the crimpers and solder to attach the pins to the wires for a better connection.

Last edited by texashillcountry; 08-10-2017 at 11:13 AM. Reason: More info
Old 08-10-2017, 04:39 PM
Yankee Dog
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,802 Likes on 957 Posts

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
If they are direct OEM replacement parts I'd like the part numbers when you get the chance.
Yes they are exactly what harley used back in the day. Just so everybody understands, I have the Mouser part numbers for some of the items like #38, 39, 37, 36, 23.

I matched them up years ago when replacing all the faded control switches with new Oem in my sporty. I ordered extra connectors and blocks and they are still in the original Mouser bag with the part number/ labels from Mouser.
i will get back home on Sunday and post the info.
If I don't, feel free to send me a pm as a reminder👍

YD

Old 08-10-2017, 06:51 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Originally Posted by Yankee Dog
Yes they are exactly what harley used back in the day. Just so everybody understands, I have the Mouser part numbers for some of the items like #38, 39, 37, 36, 23.

I matched them up years ago when replacing all the faded control switches with new Oem in my sporty. I ordered extra connectors and blocks and they are still in the original Mouser bag with the part number/ labels from Mouser.
i will get back home on Sunday and post the info.
If I don't, feel free to send me a pm as a reminder
👍

YD
Hell by Sunday I'll probably need a reminder to send you a reminder!!!!
It's hell getting old!!!!

Quick Reply: Some Electrical Questions (92 FLSTC)