Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 Heritage Classic--The Chrome Be Gone!

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 09:10 AM
TURQ
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Scudda
Well I just got back from a demo ride of the Heritage and I can honestly say wow! Did it sound like my fatboy...no But it did a lot of things better. I will say one thing I don't like is that the primary on all the Softails is way too wide....I had trouble keeping my left leg off of it.

It rode like a dream...now I understand while touring guys meant when they said they ride a couch...Power was great. I would need to see the need to do a stage 1 unless you wanted to.

Just my take on it
You're right the primary is hard to keep your leg off of. However I rode it for 30 minutes and I could touch it with my bare hand and hold it there. I watched a youtube video of a guy touch the rocker boxes with a gloved hand. This 114 on this bike seems to run much cooler. All anecdotal at this point. Awesome bike! I will own one shortly.

Old 08-28-2017, 09:20 AM
scottt
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 164 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by TURQ
You're right the primary is hard to keep your leg off of. However I rode it for 30 minutes and I could touch it with my bare hand and hold it there. I watched a youtube video of a guy touch the rocker boxes with a gloved hand. This 114 on this bike seems to run much cooler. All anecdotal at this point. Awesome bike! I will own one shortly.
I'm with you, what color do you want? Hope Harley planned for 90 percent 114's. That's my biggest concern.

Old 08-28-2017, 10:27 AM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 911 Likes on 662 Posts

Originally Posted by scottt
As we all know, Los Angeles is a big time city, a lot happens, money is made along with ocean front property. Some of it is actually 1st class.

Bakersfield on the other hand is a relatively small town in a agriculture based town. Its hot and dusty. Not a bad place but does not compare...... coming from North of Los Angeles you pass Bakersfield before going over the grapevine into L.A.

So....if your going to L.A. don't get off in Bakersfield means, if your going all out, don't settle for less along the way.
Don't forget all the cows too....lots of cows...and they don't smell good.

Old 08-28-2017, 12:17 PM
TURQ
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm with you, what color do you want? Hope Harley planned for 90 percent 114's. That's my biggest concern.
I'm leaning to the Green/Black 2 tone. However I am a denim fan and that ugly rust color is really growing on me! The Twisted Cherry on the Breakout is killer but I haven't seen it on the Heritage. After riding this bike for two days in a row I am a serious fan!

Old 08-28-2017, 02:46 PM
xmen9c
Road Master
Received 241 Likes on 133 Posts

I'm leaning to the Green/Black 2 tone. However I am a denim fan and that ugly rust color is really growing on me! The Twisted Cherry on the Breakout is killer but I haven't seen it on the Heritage. After riding this bike for two days in a row I am a serious fan!
The grey/black denim looks awesome online. Can't wait to see it in person! Add some WWW's, 21" FAT spoke or 21" diamond spoke (traditional but keep the black rims) and that's a sick looking ride.

Last edited by xmen9c; 08-28-2017 at 02:49 PM.
Old 08-28-2017, 07:24 PM
Dooley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8,972 Likes on 1,475 Posts

Originally Posted by tbplayer
To make an analogy, both Iron Maiden and Van Halen changed lead vocalists at one point in their history. One decidedly better, the other decidedly worse.

For me, so far at least, the 2018 Softails are like Bruce Dickinson. Decidedly better.

The ones that were Softails to begin with aren't as bad as the transfered over Dyna models.....Fat Bob is fuglier than ever.

The higher fenders make them look like jap bikes.

Old 08-28-2017, 07:39 PM
scottt
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 164 Likes on 104 Posts

Hopefully you know that the 114 is only available in three paint schemes. Black, the flat rust iron and the anniversary blue/black combo. The other paint options are only available with the 107. I actually think Harley did this to limit 114 production. I am torn between vivid black and the flat rust paint. Going to be a long 4 or 5 months waiting to buy.

Old 08-28-2017, 08:04 PM
vizcarmb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 529 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by scott7d
Road a 114" heritage today. Extremely underwhelmed with the motor. If this is the same powerplant moving the 2017 CVO touring bikes around, I hope they're getting a downhill start. Maybe my opinion is scewed because my bike has a lot of motor work. But yeah, wasn't impressed compared to a 103 or 110.
I don't believeyou. Please tell me you have roadracing experience or a former racer. I have a stock 2015 roadking that i ride the **** out of and it's way more than enough motor to ride fast. It's not all about power its how you apply it. I'm sure you hop your bike up for more bragging rights than it's actual use. People that think a 114 needs more power really needs to actually ride it's pure potential before modding it

Last edited by vizcarmb; 08-28-2017 at 08:08 PM.
Old 08-28-2017, 08:22 PM
Sleeko
Stellar HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 53 Posts
Cool

I'm curious how the 114 compares to the 107. Anybody test these two together?

Old 08-28-2017, 08:25 PM
xmen9c
Road Master
Received 241 Likes on 133 Posts

Hopefully you know that the 114 is only available in three paint schemes. Black, the flat rust iron and the anniversary blue/black combo. The other paint options are only available with the 107. I actually think Harley did this to limit 114 production. I am torn between vivid black and the flat rust paint. Going to be a long 4 or 5 months waiting to buy.
I watched the dealer reveal and heard the marketing guy say the Heirtage was available in either 107 or 114. The pricing on the site does not limit it to 3 color types, but 4. That to me says you can get any color offered in 114" by ordering it that way or finding it that way at a dealer.

here's the green/black w/114.

On a side note, I like how HD finally relocated the spark plug wires and coil to where the horn was. DK Custom has offered this for Softails for years (have it on each of mine now) and HD has finally come around to the looks of this as well. I'm sure it was also due to an easier location with 4 Plugs for the M8 but IMO it looks way better here.

Last edited by xmen9c; 08-28-2017 at 08:43 PM.

Quick Reply: 2018 Heritage Classic--The Chrome Be Gone!