Sponsored by:

boom map update or cheap garmin?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 05:27 PM
From_Behind
Club Member

Received 897 Likes on 517 Posts

Originally Posted by QNman
Not entirely true... your phone needs to ping SOMETHING. If it sees a wifi signal, it can use that. But it doesn't just inherently "know" where you are.
Unless you have a $49 Phone, smartphones (Android and most iPhone) have GPS receivers IN them. They don't inherently know where you are - the GPS satellites TELL them. If you go into your phone settings, you can select how you want your phone to locate itself.

Old 09-11-2017, 05:38 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,523 Likes on 11,223 Posts

On the contrary, IMHO, it seems kludgy to use a phone when you have built in navigation. But, if cost is your primary driver, then have at it,

BTW...my POS Gsrmin Zumo was bought in 2012, and still will not take a map update. So, I'm still running the '12 maps. Unless I'm looking for a specific new business it hasn't been an issue.

Last edited by TriGeezer; 09-11-2017 at 06:00 PM.
Old 09-11-2017, 05:46 PM
SecondGear
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Not entirely true... your phone needs to ping SOMETHING. If it sees a wifi signal, it can use that. But it doesn't just inherently "know" where you are.
GPS (Global Positioning System) relies on a set of satellites that broadcast a very exact time. They are managed by the Air Force. Some cell phones will use wifi or cell towers as a second way to locate the phone.

Cell phones can easily tell longitude/latitude and record that data but to show where you are on a map, the cell phone needs to have maps encoded with location data. In general, Google maps sends you data on as-needed basis. A dedicated GPS program will come with all the maps.

I'm still on the fence. It would be nice to have the boom updated with maps. But they are still selling MY17 maps. My luck, I'll buy the MY17 and a week later they'll start selling the MY18 maps.

Does anyone know what maps come on the '18s? Do they have MY17 maps?!?

Old 09-11-2017, 07:43 PM
Greg Di
Road Captain
Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by SecondGear
In general, Google maps sends you data on as-needed basis. A dedicated GPS program will come with all the maps.
Please do not confuse CoPilot with Google Maps. Google Maps is not for motorcycle touring.

The best way I can explain CoPilot to a new user is that it is the GPS software that a Garmin or TomTom runs only it is running it using your phone as the processor.

Your cell phone is infinitely faster than the most expensive Garmin you can buy now. With CoPilot there is no lag, no "thinking". I have spent about 2.5 years dicking around with motorcycle-specific GPS software and CoPilot is the clear winner.

If you couple it with Tyre on the desktop, it is outstanding although you can plan the most complicated route you could ever imagine right on your phone WITH WAYPOINTS on map that pinch zooms in and out as fast as you can move your fingers. It has live traffic and the maps are downloaded directly to your device so you never need signal to use it or create a route.

You can set vehicle routing profiles very specifically along with the speeds YOU typically ride at so your route calculation times are more accurate. The app is laid out very smartly and works with gloves no problem so you can whip through the screens while you are riding if need be. Nothing is buried behind 10 clicks like the Boom system.

https://copilotgps.com/en-us/car-navigation/

And no...I am not a stockholder...I am just blown away by how good this app is. It's changed my motorcycle riding world for the good.

Last edited by Greg Di; 09-11-2017 at 07:50 PM.
Old 09-11-2017, 08:01 PM
Greg Di
Road Captain

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
On the contrary, IMHO, it seems kludgy to use a phone when you have built in navigation. But, if cost is your primary driver, then have at it,
I genuinely wish the Boom system was better because I would use it. In fact, on my new bike, I have not even turned it on because I know what lurks behind that black screen. When I bought my 15 SGS, I was so psyched to have the built in GPS only to spend tons of time with it and realize it was clunky as hell.

Now...There some people I know that still use the GPS built into their cars and sit there typing in addresses one letter at a time for 2 minutes when they could just talk into their phone and run Google Maps. Maybe these are the same people that love Boom. I don't know. Maybe it is a generational thing.

It seems like anyone who is dead set on using the Boom has not ventured out to see what else is out there because they are so self-convinced that because HD built it into the bike, it just has to be great. Again...I don't know.

All I do know is that I am tech-savvy person that you would all take computer advice from (LOL) that wanted to love BOOM but gave up on it and found something I believe to be a (much) better solution.

I am just trying to help out other people in the same situation because I know they are out there. It may not be you, but I know there are thousands of people absolutely disillusioned by the Boom GPS system. Maybe they find this thread and I helped them.

Old 09-11-2017, 08:16 PM
SecondGear
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Di
Please do not confuse CoPilot with Google Maps. Google Maps is not for motorcycle touring.
I don't think anyone has confused it. Somes apps (like google maps) get data on demand. Others come preloaded with all the data they'll use. I'll definitely checkout CoPilot.

Any app can use GPS data. Geo Tracker is one I use to record my long rides.

Google maps certainly doesn't have waypoints and stuff like that but the traffic notifications and re-routing is awesome. If I knew I could get data all the time, I'd use google maps. I don't need the waypoints etc.

My next bike will have Andriod Auto (or, even better, Android Motorcycle!)

Old 09-11-2017, 08:58 PM
Greg Di
Road Captain

I don't think anyone has confused it.
If you read some of the comments here, I would not be too sure of that!

My next bike will have Andriod Auto (or, even better, Android Motorcycle!)
I will second that! I wish I could tear out the Boom system and drop a new head unit in. I would have done it years ago.

If you have any questions about CoPilot, PM me and I will do my best to help you. There are some very slick features in it that are not overt.

Old 09-11-2017, 09:14 PM
merdahl
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes, but then you'd have to read the manual or something, so....

It amazes me when folks who decry the Boom GPS as complete garbage support their position with declarations of things it won't do (miles to destination, estimated arrival time, etc.) that it WILL, in fact, do. Seems to me reading the manual would solve an awful lot of complaints.

But I could be wrong, who knows....
You're not wrong. I read the manual, I am good. That is all that matters.

Old 09-11-2017, 09:39 PM
Greg Di
Road Captain

Originally Posted by merdahl
You're not wrong. I read the manual, I am good. That is all that matters.
If you want to go from point A to point B and are not particular with how you are routed, the Boom system absolutely works. I never said it didn't. It works just like a built-in car GPS because that's what it is.

What it cannot do (which is critically important to me and other people) is route you EXACTLY where you want to go and select EVERY ROAD. And no, you cannot do this from the handlebars and no, you can't even do it without a desktop computer and even then, it is a crap shoot as to what roads the Boom system will route you on to get you from the ride you uploaded to it via USB.

Making matters worse, the Boom system will not allow the user to zoom in on the calculated route once you load it so you are looking at a non-sensical line drawn on a completely undetailed map zoomed out to show the entire route.

Every GPS system has an internal route rendering engine that is different from the desktop ride planner so when you upload a route to any GPS, the actual GPS is going to render that route based on its routing tables. If you cannot verify the route after it's uploaded and modify on the device, you are not guaranteed to ride the same route you carefully planned on the desktop.

It's not a question of not reading the manual. The software is fatally flawed and HD should have done a lot better for what they are charging.

Oh yeah....shut off your bike and start it again "Navigation not ready". That's spectacular. Very cutting edge technology right there!!!

There are way better GPS options out there for touring motorcyclists. Just because it's HD doesn't mean it's the best or the worst, but it is one hellishly clunky piece of software to use that could be a gazillion times better.

Old 09-11-2017, 10:15 PM
merdahl
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Here, let me help you. Start reading about here:

Oh, another helpful hint. Instead of shutting your ignition off at every stop, turn it to ACC. Keeps the GPS up and eliminates wait time.

Last edited by merdahl; 09-11-2017 at 10:19 PM.

Quick Reply: boom map update or cheap garmin?