Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Building for comfort

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 02:52 PM
stal94gt
Road Master
Received 95 Likes on 88 Posts
Default Building for comfort

A few years ago I chopped the rear of my bike to do a swing arm mounted fender and spring seat. I love the look and really fought back and forth on if I should change my bike up. Problem I have is the spring seat was killing my rear and taking the fun out of riding. First I started with adding floor boards which help me a lot considering I am short and they allowed me more wiggle room. Floor boards just wasn't enough to get me back on the bike for long distances. I need to get rid of the spring seat which meant getting rid of my swing arm mounted fender.

Where I started

Since I chopped the frame horns off to go with the swing arm mounted fender I had to add bolt on inner struts. I don't recommend anyone chopping their horns off cause getting the bolt on frame struts to work is a pain

Unfortunately my rear tire is off center by about 1/2 inch so to center my new fender over my tire I will be making spacer plates out of 6061 aluminum.

I had to do a lot of cutting and grinding on the fender I picked to get it to look how I wanted. I have it mocked up now and think it will look good when I am done. All I have left is making the inner strut plates and some paint and powder coat

I will be using a chopped black line seat for this project

Old 04-11-2016, 05:36 PM
kansei
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bike looks good - both ways . I'm interested in the seat - have pics of the brackets ? I want to split my seat but haven't done it yet

Old 04-11-2016, 07:09 PM
stal94gt
Road Master

Just got done making the fender brackets. I think I like them but not sure I will sleep on it to decide if I want to change it up. I think they will look fine once my turn signals get mounted up. I don't have the best tools for going crazy so they may have to do

Old 04-11-2016, 07:10 PM
stal94gt
Road Master

I still have a few holes to drill and turn signals to mount but once I am done off to powder coat and paint and we will see how things turn out

Last edited by stal94gt; 04-11-2016 at 08:13 PM.
Old 04-12-2016, 08:24 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

Looks good. I want to see how it turns out.

Old 04-12-2016, 09:20 AM
Lunchboxx
Road Master

Received 185 Likes on 116 Posts

Looks good!

Old 04-12-2016, 10:33 AM
DynaJ
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Looking good man, what a pain in the *** to change these things back!! Quick thought, I see those struts you had on the other fender is there anyway to bring those up and use them to support the fender instead of using the aluminum? Maybe you can run those to the back and get a inner fender brace from krafttech? I could be wrong but I think you have enough support just with the inners to carry a passenger the outer struts don't do much. So much fun right?? LOL

Old 04-12-2016, 11:37 AM
stal94gt
Road Master

Unfortunately the swing arm moves so I can't use the old struts. Things are rough looking now cause I have not done the finishing work on the struts and since there is no color on the parts things look out of place. Once the tail lights get mounted up and the color gets added things will look good

Old 04-12-2016, 12:30 PM
matte
Stellar HDF Member
Received 797 Likes on 436 Posts

Dad always said...don't ever sell your stock parts. Never know when you or someone else may want to put it back to original.

Unfortunately for that, traded in the old low rider and now have a garage full of stock dyna parts

Though from how you had that originally, I would have tried to get top dollar for it and get something new that's more comfy

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 04-17-2016 at 12:10 AM.
Old 04-12-2016, 12:35 PM
stal94gt
Road Master

I will have 700 dollars total into this project. Way cheaper than buying a new bike. Considering my bike is payed off I don't want to go back into debit to have a bike I will change again. Hell it cost over 1000 dollars for exhaust and a tune.

Quick Reply: Building for comfort