Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Pine Creek Gorge aka PA grand cannyon

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 08:12 PM
fullautomike
Road Master
Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Pine Creek Gorge aka PA grand cannyon

Starting to plan a small trip from CT to Pine Creek Gorge PA. I'm thinking of starting out on 84 to get out of CT and past NY, then venture off to RT6 to ? to Pine Creek Gorge. I've never been there yet, any suggestions? Looking to head out for maybe 4 days, but might stretch it for another day or two. Any places or areas to avoid? or be sure not to miss? We don't drink, but I love wings and BBQ.

Also, any tips on where to stay? Looking for clean as a priority, and reasonably priced is helpful too!
Mike

Last edited by fullautomike; 04-06-2017 at 08:28 PM. Reason: edit to add ? about places to stay
Old 04-06-2017, 08:21 PM
Perry um
Tourer
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

I rode that area a few years back and it was great. I am sure Geezer Glide will chime in but search "Grand Canyon of PA" or Wellsboro and there is plenty on here. Geezer put a ride together on here and I followed it, we had a good time. We stayed in Wellsboro at Sherwood motel and it was nice.

The following users liked this post:
fullautomike (04-06-2017)
Old 04-06-2017, 08:31 PM
fullautomike
Road Master

Originally Posted by Perry um
I rode that area a few years back and it was great. I am sure Geezer Glide will chime in but search "Grand Canyon of PA" or Wellsboro and there is plenty on here. Geezer put a ride together on here and I followed it, we had a good time. We stayed in Wellsboro at Sherwood motel and it was nice.

Thanks! After staying in a roach motel in Pigeon Forge, I'm done with chit motels.

Old 04-07-2017, 08:02 AM
jay72
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Look here for Geezr Glidr, he lives in Wellsboro and is a wealth of knowledge for the Pennsylvania area. He won't steer you wrong.

Old 04-07-2017, 09:00 AM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 126 Posts

Hi Mike. Geezr here! I live in Wellsboro. Born & raised here, and still live here. Less than 10 miles to the canyon from my house. I'm glad I've been able to help out a few people who've asked about this area. Lots of nice roads & day trips from here, and lots to see.

The best riding won't be til you get over here, so just do 84 to Scranton to 81 North for a few miles, and then 6 west til you get here. Try to get a room at The Sherwood Motel here in Wellsboro. I've never stayed there since I live about a mile away from it, and I don't know the room rates, but I've recommended it to a few people who seemed to be happy with it. Plus, you can park the bike at the end of your day, and walk to everything. It's Smalltown USA, but there are restaurants, ice cream, etc. You can have dinner somewhere different every night. Wellsboro's a pretty busy little town. Real nice New England-type town, and busy on weekends, so a reservation might not be a bad idea once you know how many nights you wanna be here.

Google these things to ride to see. All a nice day trip from The Sherwood, and some of them can be done together on the same day. They're not all separate day trips.
--- There are 2 sides to the canyon. Easy to do both the east rim & west rim in less than a couple hours. If you get here at 6:00 or 7:00, you can see them both, and easily be back to the motel before dark, when we have longer days in the summer.
--- Also, Kinzua Bridge State Park (a must-stop on a bike trip! Look it up & read about what it is), Kinzua Dam, Hyner View State Park (Might be able to watch some hang-gliding at Hyner. Pretty cool to watch), the village of Benezette PA (this area has the largest population of free roaming elk east of CO), Letchworth State Park in central NY (VERY cool!), Watkins Glen State Park, only a little more than an hour from Wellsboro. Lots of wineries & tours up there too, around the Finger Lakes. Great ride up the west side of Seneca Lake from Watkins Glen, and then back down the east side of the lake, and back into Watkins.

You'll have a great 3 or 4 days of riding over here Mike. Northwestern PA is great riding. I never get tired of it. Google these things I mentioned, and look at images too, and if you're interested, I can give you more details, i.e. route numbers that are good rides to get to these things, and good burgers along the way too!

I know a few BBQ places, but I don't think they'll be the absolute very best BBQ you ever had, but they're not bad. One of them is on route 6. A few miles west of Lacyville PA. You'll pass it on your way here.

Always glad to help out since I know the roads around here. Let me know.

The following 2 users liked this post by Geezr Glidr:
fullautomike (05-08-2017), TKDKurt (04-24-2017)
Old 04-07-2017, 10:49 AM
davedyna
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Geezr has been spot on for us for a number of rides. Rt 144/44 are great rides in that area

Old 04-07-2017, 12:04 PM
fullautomike
Road Master

Thanks! I'll look into the info you posted soon, and follow up with some questions, I'm sure.
Mike

Old 04-11-2017, 08:34 PM
HDavidA
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have stayed at the sherwood motel as well as the canyon motel. I recall the sherwood being a little nicer. That said I would stay at the canyon again. Like being in Wellsboro, the ability to walk for a beer and food after a days ride. The fries and burger at the Penn Wells Hotel bar were excellent.

Old 04-14-2017, 09:56 AM
HDMIKETN64
Road Master
Received 210 Likes on 148 Posts

The girlfriend and I are riding the BRP from NC through Maryland in August. We plan on visiting the Antietam and Gettysburg battlefields. I looks like the Pennsylvania Grand Canyon is only about three hours from Gettysburg. It may be worth the ride by what I'm reading here.

Old 04-19-2017, 12:45 AM
Cygnusx51
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,647 Likes on 1,076 Posts

Originally Posted by davedyna
Geezr has been spot on for us for a number of rides. Rt 144/44 are great rides in that area
Yep, everything he mentioned is worth seeing for sure if anyone is ever up in this area. Kinzua Bridge Park was cool to see before they built the new welcome center. Now, you must go. The State Parks Dept did an amazing job building the center and the exhibits inside are awesome.

Quick Reply: Pine Creek Gorge aka PA grand cannyon