Sponsored by:

Boom 1.21.0.4

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 10:00 PM
sammer4u
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Boom 1.21.0.4

First I must apologize for the long post I have created, but thought i would pass on something that seems to work for me on to others having the same issue.

I might have found something on my 4.3 Boom Infotainment system. I use a USB thumb drive for my music. The music is one reason I traded my 01 Heritage for a new 15 Ultra. My USB is formatted correctly, my music is download and configured correctly. I have spent numerous hours on over 2,600 songs (may not seem like a lot, or maybe it does) converting and updating all the text to show no symbols, punctuation in the song titles, artist, album, etc. And ever since I took my bike in for a warranty issue, they were kind enough to update my system to the new and great 1.21.0.4. Ever since the did that (without my knowledge or authorization) I have had the system give me all kinds of errors from no ability to forward to the next song to freezing up. I quizzed the dealership about it and they had no knowledge of this issue... no surprise. I then sent a lengthy letter to HD (just because they are not with the times and allow an email address to send in questions, concerns, etc.) to describe in full my issue with the new update for the boom system. They called back a week later and told me that .. wait for it.. this is the first they have hear about any issues with the new release of the update. Even though we all have read the issues, and have all experienced something (some of you have not which is awesome to hear) with this new version. Even some have mentioned calling HD to complain and getting the same story I got. After talking to two different people about this at HD, and both trained to give me the same answer I got a claim number to use and was asked to take it into my dealer. Have the tech use the claim number and call their tech to diagnosis the problem. I attempted to schedule this with my dealer, as it is 45 miles from where I work. They had an appointment available on a Friday and I took it without looking at weather (I really do not mind riding in the rain if I get caught in it, but I am not going to ride in the rain to the dealership to get something somewhat petty looked at to be diagnosed. And leaving it there was not an option, as I had no ride back and forth. So I unfortunately had to cancel the first appointment due to rain, made a second one for the following Friday and had to cancel last minute for rain once again. So between yesterday and today after my ride home from work taking the loooonnnnnggggg way home I played with it a bit. What would happen is at times it would play fine like it should not issues. It would start playing the song and continue with the "Reading..." scroll at the top and continue to play. It would do the same thing with the "Reading..." but then come up with no media found with the ok button, select that and continue to play with no ability to skip forward or back. It would start playing the song and the minute countdown/up did not work while the "reading.." scrolled and when the song was done it would lock up. Now this situation would happen after each start of the bike which was frustrating. Especially when the system was working fine and you have to stop for gas. It would go into any other mode. Well, as I played with it today. I found out when it started to do a non normal thing, I unplugged the USB at a stop, plugged it back in and it seemed to clear it up and work as it should. Not that that makes sense, but it worked. While doing this, the system automatically goes to the radio as it is unplugged and after plugging it in after a few seconds it goes to the USB music. Granted I have to re-select the shuffle option, but it functions fine. At this point I will continue to do this, and skip the appointment at the dealership. One I do not have the time or interest to take it there for who knows how long, and I am not so certain that they will do this for free. My bike is out of warranty so I have a feeling that I would see a bill while they are talking to the tech "diagnosing" the situation.

Sorry for the long ramble, but hoping that it might help some out? Maybe not.. but who knows.. I feel a bit better that after two days of trying this, it seems to work. A bit of a idiotic thing to have to do, but hell if it works.. I will go with it. I was trying to find an old update to go back to, but unable to find one. So till they come out with a newer update that "takes" care of this problem I will continue with my method.

Old 07-14-2017, 10:12 PM
Sunnyday91360
Road Captain
Received 91 Likes on 58 Posts

Turn it off with mute/off button, then back on works or go from USB to Tuner and back also stops the "reading.....", but don't know if it will fix your other problems. And yeah it's a bug in the software, nothing to do with your files.

Old 07-14-2017, 10:25 PM
sammer4u
Tourer

Originally Posted by Sunnyday91360
Turn it off with mute/off button, then back on works or go from USB to Tuner and back also stops the "reading.....", but don't know if it will fix your other problems. And yeah it's a bug in the software, nothing to do with your files.
Unfortunately I saw those suggestions in another post or two, and neither one works on my system. Might on others, but never did anything on mine.

Old 07-14-2017, 10:28 PM
motoXjoe
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Or just downgrade the software back to version 1.20.1 yourself. It's easy and will cure the glitches and sound better too. Some good stuff on the separate audio forum on this issue.

Old 07-14-2017, 10:39 PM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,950 Likes on 2,169 Posts

I know I'm not contributing to curing the issues you are having by asking this, but which flash drive are you using?

Last edited by GalvTexGuy; 07-21-2017 at 09:12 PM.
Old 07-15-2017, 07:13 AM
santajim
Grand HDF Member

Received 324 Likes on 222 Posts

I recently had this kind of an issue on a road trip when I changed from one flash drive to another. I carry 3 different music FL's Took that one out and went to a different one and everything was good again, so not sure if this will help but could it be your flash drive giving to the problem, maybe try downloading your music to a different one.

Old 07-15-2017, 11:26 AM
Bubbak
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the same problems on our last road trip, could not get to work only hit and miss with thumb drive. Got home and reloaded a new drive all works great again. Bob

Old 07-15-2017, 01:21 PM
SecondGear
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by motoXjoe
Or just downgrade the software back to version 1.20.1 yourself. It's easy and will cure the glitches and sound better too. Some good stuff on the separate audio forum on this issue.
This is exactly what I did. No regrets on my part. 1.20.1 does everything I want without the newly introduced bugs.

I way too long on a newer version flipping to FM and back before reverting back to the old version.

The following users liked this post:
sammer4u (07-16-2017)
Old 07-15-2017, 09:25 PM
sammer4u
Tourer

I am using a 32gig verbatim drive. Switch to my second drive and still have issued. Went for a 440 mile ride today. Each stop it did its thing of locking up or continuing with no controls. Each time I unplugged it and plugged it back in after 10 seconds and was flawless. Tried shutting power down and switching to radio and back neither worked. Any clue where I can get older download? Any one have one that can zip it and send to me?

Old 07-15-2017, 09:46 PM
jeff53404
Tourer
Received 90 Likes on 71 Posts

What version are you asking for? If it is 1.20.1, I have that in the Premium but not the standard. I reread your 1st post after I sent a PM.

Last edited by jeff53404; 07-15-2017 at 09:57 PM.
The following users liked this post:
sammer4u (07-16-2017)

Quick Reply: Boom 1.21.0.4