Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another FI to Carb Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 09:24 AM
huntin_cowboy
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Another FI to Carb Question

Hey everyone, new member to the site but been utilizing information off of here for a while now!

I'm doing the switch from MM injection to carb and everything is going smoothly except one thing. I've got the tank off and prepping it for installing my parts when they come in and noticed the fuel line send and return hoses did not simply terminate in the tank where I can screw in the Pingel kit and be done. I've seen a ton of threads where people have posted pictures of how they removed the bit inside the gas tank, they just didn't explain much.... well now that photobucket is asking $399 for members to host photos on forums there are no pictures and I'm not real comfortable sticking anything in there to cut in a high octane environment without knowing what I should be doing. I have an air drill and one thing I thought about doing was drilling a hole in the side of the bung so that it could let fuel in. I don't know if the bit would possibly spark though. I've read that people drilled them out from the bottom, but they provided most of the info in their pictures.

Does anyone have experience doing this conversion? Or better yet maybe a picture or two? I would really like to not lose the fuel that would be below the bung. My bike has a few mods that decrease the fuel mileage quite a bit already and I'd like to keep from losing any range. Also after I saw it, I realized there is no way there'll be room for the screen in the petcock to fit in without removing the bung.

Old 07-20-2017, 10:57 AM
flhchaz
Club Member
Received 1,285 Likes on 499 Posts

What year and model bike are you working on? I did the MMI to Carb conversion on a '98 Ultra. I drilled through the bottom of the tank inwards with a 9/16 (i think) drill bit being very careful not to booger up the threads, you needs the threads to put the pingel plug and adapted for the petcock.

Using the drill bit, it will leave about an inch or so of the hard lines inside the tank. that was good enough for me. I JUST NEVER RAN IT LOW ON GAS!

Old 07-20-2017, 11:03 AM
6 gun
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,743 Likes on 980 Posts

Be sure to take lots of pics so that you can help the next guy that wants to convert.

Old 07-20-2017, 11:45 AM
Jshopes
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,196 Likes on 658 Posts

Personally, im looking at the zippers ecm replacement with auto tune and add on o2 sensors. I love my efi.

Old 07-20-2017, 01:07 PM
huntin_cowboy
4th Gear

flhchaz, it's a 99 Road King with the Twin Cam. I was thinking the same thing about posting some pictures for others to be able to look at when I do all this.

Jshopes I hated to go away from EFI but with the support for parts basically zero, I knew it was either convert to Delphi or carb. I could do the zippers system and 5 years down the road need an obsolete part to get it to run (this bike is staying in the family). I had a hiccup where I thought my ECM was bad but after taking the power commander out I realized it was the power commander. Ebay had basically zero of the units for sale that work on the MM system and new the only offering was the PCV which would've required a new dyno mapping since the old one was fried and the map file long gone. Dyno tune+PCV totalling the cost of a carb swap or a zippers replacement, I decided to go with the carb. After the trivial incident (washing my bike with a waterhose) that sent the whole system into chaos, i'm not too keen on going with EFI again on something that's no longer supported as is. I'm just glad I wasn't 1000 miles from home when it happened or better yet, caught in a downpour haha!

I decided to go with the Thunderheart standalone ignition and an S&S Super G. From what I've read it'll be an increase in gas mileage and better response. At ~28 mpg right now I'd sure love the extra range.

Old 07-20-2017, 01:11 PM
QNman
Supporter
Received 3,711 Likes on 1,988 Posts

Just curious - what year did the touring bikes switch to Delphi?

Old 07-20-2017, 01:33 PM
huntin_cowboy
4th Gear

I think '01 had MM and Delphi bikes. If not then '02 for sure was all Delphi as far as EFI.

The following users liked this post:
QNman (07-20-2017)
Old 07-20-2017, 03:27 PM
rizzo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,620 Likes on 2,094 Posts

Search in the Evo section there are several who have done it in that group.

Old 07-20-2017, 04:31 PM
flhchaz
Club Member
Received 1,285 Likes on 499 Posts

On my 98 Ultra. I west with the E carb and ultima ignition. I was at 49mpg (that was with a fresh top end and rings)

Old 07-20-2017, 11:40 PM
huntin_cowboy
4th Gear

Well I did a little cutting and drilling today. I thought I had a set of bits that went to 5/8 but I couldn't find it. So I wound up drilling out the tubes and stopping because I was locking up with 3/8 bit as it fit in the hole that's already there. Here is a picture of the progress. I used a cutoff wheel submerged in water to remove the steel line from inside. Felt risky, but it didn't go boom. Once I get it drilled out I'm going to try to cut a window in the collar from the bottom with a carbide Burr.

Quick Reply: Another FI to Carb Question