General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coming to the dark side.... Honda to Harley

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 09:25 AM
royswift
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternative to a GL1800 Wing

Gents, I am considering the above and before you all jump in and tell me ANYTHING is a good alternative to a GL1800 Wing (laughing at the thought) - I have been a Wing rider for about 13 years and absolutely loved the bike (for my sins)

But now I am looking at alternatives in the same bike genre.

Could I have some reasonable suggestions please :-)

Thanks in advance.

Old 07-25-2017, 09:38 AM
Wisenheimer16
Cruiser
Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts

I have bounced back and forth a few times over the years from Harley to big Jap cruisers. The equivalent to a Goldwing would be an Ultra or Ultra Limited in my opinion. Make sure you take a good and long test ride. The Harley is a whole different animal. You will either fall in love or run. I am getting older so I am running an Ultra now till I'm done. It's a great bike. Good luck.

Old 07-25-2017, 09:42 AM
Juan L
Received 20,117 Likes on 10,260 Posts

Originally Posted by royswift
Gents, I am considering the above and before you all jump in and tell me ANYTHING is a good alternative to a GL1800 Wing (laughing at the thought) - I have been a Wing rider for about 13 years and absolutely loved the bike (for my sins)

But now I am looking at alternatives in the same bike genre.

Could I have some reasonable suggestions please :-)

Thanks in advance.
If you loved it why change? I have found the big metric cruisers to lack "soul". The closest you can come to that would be the top of the touring line in HD. As stated before, you'll either love it or hate it. Good luck.

Old 07-25-2017, 09:45 AM
Green Dart
Road Warrior
Received 175 Likes on 168 Posts

Well, you've come to a good place to research it all. My neighbor has 2 Valkyries in his garage, but we still talk in a civil manner about bikes! Good luck and enjoy the chase -

Old 07-25-2017, 09:47 AM
ronaldrwl
Road Warrior
Received 342 Likes on 229 Posts

It should read coming from the dark side. And yes, when you ride a Harley you are better.

The following users liked this post:
uncle kebo (07-25-2017)
Old 07-25-2017, 09:55 AM
nollid51
Advanced
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I wave when it's safe to. Sometimes people wave back, sometimes they don't. Not everyone will wave back or stop to see if your OK when you're on the side of the road. For me, those who don't reciprocate have been on all kinds of bikes. Doesn't hurt my feelings, it shouldn't hurt yours. Some people aren't comfortable taking their hands off the controls, some dont care, some may not have noticed. Not sure what point you are trying to make, other than trolling?

Points for effort though.

Old 07-25-2017, 09:58 AM
doug62
Road Captain
Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

Everyone is different but being one who rides both a Harley (Ultra Classic) and a Honda (VTX1800) I have never experienced any ill will from Harley riders when I am on my Honda. That includes getting the "motorcycle wave". I actually had a situation where my VTX was giving me problems and a Harley rider came to my assistance. Sorry your experience has been different.

imjdoggie (07-27-2017)
Old 07-25-2017, 10:05 AM
royswift
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@nollid51 - thank you for your considered reply which has brought up many valid points about safety etc..

I am NOT a troll, just trying to see what it is about this ridership that seems to make them less friendly to Japanese and maybe other bike riders. As I am considering buying one and joining the community I am interested what the attitudes are from the Harley riders that's all.

Thanks for your sarcasm - always welcomed in any situation..., as a Brit I know all about it, I was brought up on it and ate it three times a day so don't get me started MATE.. (said sarcastically and in a raised voice for the effect..)
However, I remember one thing, it's the lowest form of wit, said to mean that sarcasm is unkind and not very funny..

Take care and have a wonderful day !!

Old 07-25-2017, 10:05 AM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,239 Likes on 11,124 Posts

I hope you know the GL1800 is far superior to anything Harley Davidson makes. The only problem with the Gold Wing is it's a Honda.
It's also true that some Harley Davidson riders are snobs about the brand but I personally don't care what you ride.
If I was riding coast to coast on the interstate , I'd choose the Honda Road Sofa for the ultimate in comfort.

Last edited by upflying; 07-25-2017 at 10:15 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by upflying:
Campy Roadie (07-26-2017), ChrisHo (07-26-2017), katanaplanet (07-25-2017)
Old 07-25-2017, 10:06 AM
rudddie816
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear about your bad experiences. I have found the complete opposite. One example; I belong to a HOG group in the KC area that is very inclusive, all HOG sponsored rides and bike nights are open to anyone no matter what you ride. We have a few Goldwings and even a few Crotch Rockets that come out and ride with us. It's all about riding, not what you ride. Everyone around here almost alway waves at everyone. I have found Harley riders to be a great group of folks. Hope you find better times ahead.

stixvrad (07-25-2017)

Quick Reply: Coming to the dark side.... Honda to Harley