Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SE Stage II is perfect for me

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2017, 07:47 PM
DanBO18
Tourer
Received 127 Likes on 80 Posts
Default SE Stage II is perfect for me

Got my bike back today with SE Stage I & II (torque cam) installed. Love it!

I wanted louder but not crazy loud. Idle has a noticeably deeper, throaty sound now but shouldn’t be getting neighbor complaints. The cam adds a nice lope. Normal running is louder with a great tone and wide-open is much louder. For me, it’s at the limit of how loud I want it. It’s perfect. EPA is OK with this? Cool! This is no longer a tame, stock bike.

The bike feels quicker. Before this upgrade, I practiced a counting cadence of 1001, 1002, 1003, 1004 when in 4th gear going from 50 to 75. (I would have used a stopwatch, but I was born without a third hand.)

Trying my best to replicate that cadence, the bike is now into the 80’s when I reach 1004. And at that point it’s accelerating faster. It’s fantastic.

I tried making a video recording of the sound with my iPhone. It’s worthless. It didn’t come out sounding anything like what it sounds like. I guess the microphone doesn’t pick-up the lower frequencies. I guess I don’t own anything with a high quality microphone if that’s what’s required to make one of those videos.

I know this is the Warranty/EPA friendly upgrade and I wanted to see for myself if the results would be adequate. For me, YES! This is actually perfect for me.

This bike is now just the right amount of nasty. And even the new parts are under warranty. Cool. Done deal. Thank you MoCo!

The following users liked this post:
Thingfish (10-22-2017)
Old 10-21-2017, 07:56 PM
badcooky
Banned
Received 473 Likes on 370 Posts

Sounds like your happy man , that's the kicker right !

Old 10-21-2017, 07:59 PM
bbissell
Road Master
Received 129 Likes on 89 Posts

That is cool I wish that video was worth it. How about a parts list that you used?

Old 10-21-2017, 09:03 PM
DanBO18
Tourer

By the book SE parts list. The M8 114 already had a high-flow intake. The rest:

Screamin' Eagle Street Cannon Mufflers

Screamin' Eagle Stage II (Torque) Kit:
SE8-447 cam, adjustable pushrods, pushrod covers, o-rings, cam cover gasket

Screamin' Eagle Pro Street Tuner

The following users liked this post:
bbissell (10-21-2017)
Old 10-21-2017, 09:11 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

video seems to be broken

Old 10-21-2017, 09:21 PM
DanBO18
Tourer

Originally Posted by cvaria
video seems to be broken
I’m sorry. I didn’t share a video. I’d love to, but the iPhone 6 doesn’t seem to be up to the task when the point is the sound. It was ridiculous sounding. You’d all say it sounds shitty. If that’s all I heard, I’d agree. I’ll try again tomorrow to see if I can get a better result, but I think the low frequencies are just not going to be picked up by the phone mic.

Old 10-21-2017, 09:29 PM
Puttnutt24
Road Warrior
Received 209 Likes on 116 Posts

Torque kit laid out to install this Monday...
Now if my Bassani pipe would just come in..
Everything in the picture is what you need..

Screamin' Eagle Torque Cam kit...<br/>

Old 10-22-2017, 12:49 AM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 911 Likes on 662 Posts

Congrats!! I've been waiting to hear from you. Music to my ears. Thanks for taking the trouble to come up with a test parameter to gather some kind of measurement. Well done.

Did you notice any changes to the low end from 2000 rpm? Better? Worse?

regarding the video...make it anyway...most suffer the same problem. It's better than nothing and our ears will fill in some of the blanks. At the very least we might register the lope.

Last edited by Thingfish; 10-22-2017 at 01:02 AM.
Old 10-22-2017, 01:32 AM
DanBO18
Tourer

Originally Posted by Thingfish
Congrats!! I've been waiting to hear from you. Music to my ears. Thanks for taking the trouble to come up with a test parameter to gather some kind of measurement. Well done.

Did you notice any changes to the low end from 2000 rpm? Better? Worse?
I wish I had a longer ride but I had to go straight home due to a guest arriving. My test began at an rpm of ~2420. In general, my impression was that it felt more responsive as I accelerated from stops and went through the gears. I didn’t notice any degradation. But I didn’t spend a lot of time at 2K (other than quickly passing it in 1st gear) and didn’t focus my attention on that, and this is a naked Breakout 114, so relatively it isn’t the heaviest bike.

I’ve seen the post about the demo showing a slight drop in torque at 2K. I’ll try to pay more attention next ride but this isn’t the seat of the pants impression I got. Again, might just be that I zoomed past it and don’t typically ride that close to lugging the motor.

Oh, reminder that I went from stock to Stage II. I never had Stage I only, so my comparative experience is not just for adding the cam alone. Collectively, I may have gotten a net gain across the rpm range. Sure feels like it.

Old 10-22-2017, 01:44 AM
DanBO18
Tourer

And I know I indicated this already, but thrilled with the sound. It is louder than my broken-in stock pipes. Idle is very nice now. No one can tell me “Pretty quiet for a Harley” anymore. I heard that once from a smart *** at a gas station the first week I had it. And that dude was walking! It’s got a nice rumble when running normally and when it opens up, partially or fully, it can surely be heard in the far off distance. This bike sounds like a Harley now. These Street Cannons are nice and the M8 is finally breathing like it should be.

Quick Reply: SE Stage II is perfect for me