Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Might need a memory jog here...

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 07:22 AM
Steel Wheels
Road Master
Received 296 Likes on 167 Posts
Default Might need a memory jog here...

Wife and I have had a reversal of fortune, and to help get thru I’m thinking about unloading my ‘17 RK. I’ve got a buddy with a ‘81 FXS with 4K on it, 2 owner. He’s gone thru it - new fork seals/springs, powder coated frame, swing arm bearings, etc., and the engine/trans pulled with new seals. This can be had for $5500.

I’m seriously considering this because it’s a Shovel with provenance and low mileage, this was what I cut my teeth on in the mid 70’s, and it’s a ride away deal.

My questions are:
1. Could this realistically be a daily rider? I avg. 15k a year, and at 64 am uncertain about 400 mi. days. I recall my FX being a bone shaker. On the plus side I’m in excellent physical condition.
2. Can footboards be installed without welding on the frame? Ain’t no way I’m gonna fight the wind to keep my feet on pegs.

Part of me wants to do this out of nostalgia. I paid on a FX for 3 yrs just to have it stolen 2 weeks after making the final payment, after which a bike was a dream for the next 10yrs. Trying to avoid the rose colored glasses here because I recall cross country trips with the usual issues; carry extra oil, check spokes/nuts/bolts with regularity, etc...

Twizted, I believe your on a modern scoot along with your shovel, so I’d like your input on all this. All others welcome also!

Thanks gang.

Old 02-19-2018, 07:26 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,934 Likes on 2,569 Posts

Being that you are coming from a Road King, late 90's Evo Kings can be had for less money then a Shovel and a well maintained one can go cross country tomorrow. All they really want is scheduled maintenance, they are very much bullet proof. For me, if on a budget but needing to do serious mileage that is the bike I would go looking for or a similar vintage Electra Glide, Ultra etc. Good luck.

Old 02-19-2018, 07:31 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

You would be better off with this bike:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/motor...nice-bike.html

Old 02-19-2018, 08:03 AM
mrlexus
Road Captain
Received 160 Likes on 97 Posts

Sounds like at 15k miles a year, you enjoy riding and do it often. That will change if your only bike is a rigid mounted 4 speed bike. Especially if you ride at freeway speeds. I get the nostalgia thing, but if you’re buying a bike to be your primary rider and not to collect, that’s not what I would personally recommend. For 5500$, you can get some nice stuff these days. There are tons of rubber mounted evos, twin cams of any design, or even FLT rubber mounted shovelheads in that range. We just picked up a mint, low mile 2010 fxdwg for less than 8k this weekend. The used market is soft and saturated.

You can put floorboards on anything with peg mounts, just look someplace like JP Cycles, the have plenty of options. They work fine, have good adjustment ranges, but don’t look as good as the factory mounted ones to me.

With a garage full of bike options, if I know I’m going 400 miles, I’m not jumping on any of my FX’s. Unless Im heading to some show or event or special ride, I’ll pick something that keeps feeling in my fingers.

Last edited by mrlexus; 02-19-2018 at 08:07 AM.
Old 02-19-2018, 09:43 AM
AJSHOVEL
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,445 Likes on 4,133 Posts

Originally Posted by mrlexus

You can put floorboards on anything with peg mounts, just look someplace like JP Cycles, the have plenty of options. They work fine, have good adjustment ranges, but don’t look as good as the factory mounted ones to me.

If you can find the stock footboard setup from an '86-'99 Fatboy or Heritage, it's nearly plug and play. Looks just like stock FL setup from the 70's except brackets substitute for your frame tab on the brake side and primary tab on the shifter side.

Old 02-19-2018, 01:55 PM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,194 Likes on 1,269 Posts

I put in roughly 12k a year. My daily rider is an EVO Road King. I also have a 73 Electraglide. I take out the shovel for sunday afternoon rides in the country. It's stock geared and really likes 55-60 mph. I wouldn't want to be beating it up and down the interstate every day. With an EVO, you get 5th gear plus all mine ever wants is basic maintenance. EVO's are nearly the same money as shovels too.

carl

Old 02-19-2018, 03:44 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,817 Likes on 3,319 Posts

Originally Posted by carlgrover
I put in roughly 12k a year. My daily rider is an EVO Road King. I also have a 73 Electraglide. I take out the shovel for sunday afternoon rides in the country. It's stock geared and really likes 55-60 mph. I wouldn't want to be beating it up and down the interstate every day. With an EVO, you get 5th gear plus all mine ever wants is basic maintenance. EVO's are nearly the same money as shovels too.

carl
Same here.... Night and day difference. A well maintained Evo will easily do 100K without major work.....

Old 02-19-2018, 07:37 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

the 80 FX bike wont have the boards spud, using a tin primary on the left side but with alloy outer FL has the support for the board

Old 02-22-2018, 08:39 PM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,054 Likes on 1,510 Posts

Originally Posted by Architect
Being that you are coming from a Road King, late 90's Evo Kings can be had for less money then a Shovel and a well maintained one can go cross country tomorrow. All they really want is scheduled maintenance, they are very much bullet proof. For me, if on a budget but needing to do serious mileage that is the bike I would go looking for or a similar vintage Electra Glide, Ultra etc. Good luck.
^^^ Wholeheartedly agree...
The EVO brought HD to the head of the class... then... They dropped the ball!!!

Old 02-22-2018, 09:01 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

they were seeing throw away as a good alternative to rebuild able

I wonder how that is really working out for them and the dealer network who wont even work on evos per instruction from the top

Quick Reply: Might need a memory jog here...