Sponsored by:

Oil seeping after 10K

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 06:36 PM
Redrodyankneck
Stellar HDF Member
Received 829 Likes on 496 Posts
Default Oil seeping after 10K

Changed filter at 10K miles. Installed it 1/2 turn hand tight after making contact with gasket.

1st pic is after oil change, nice and clean
2nd pic after 100 miles
3rd pic after 375 miles

The base of the filter and engine oil boss are dry. Can't get a good pic of that.
The base of the front jug is dry.
The seam between the cases is wet.
This seams to be a recent development as I am always visually inspecting the bike.

I'm wondering why after 10,000 miles this seam would begin to weep. I'm calling it a seam because it looks like they use RTV as it stands proud, not sure if it is a gasket also.
The dealer is waiting for me to drop the bike off this week.
I just wanted to run it by you guys and hear what you think about cause and fix.

Last edited by Redrodyankneck; 11-15-2018 at 07:08 PM.
Old 04-23-2018, 09:44 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,543 Likes on 4,431 Posts

Originally Posted by Redrodyankneck
Changed filter at 10K miles. Installed it 1/2 turn hand tight after making contact with gasket.

1st pic is after oil change, nice and clean
2nd pic after 100 miles
3rd pic after 375 miles

The base of the filter and engine oil boss are dry. Can't get a good pic of that.
The base of the front jug is dry.
The seam between the cases is wet.
This seams to be a recent development as I am always visually inspecting the bike.

I'm wondering why after 10,000 miles this seam would begin to weep. I'm calling it a seam because it looks like they use RTV as it stands proud, not sure if it is a gasket also.
The dealer is waiting for me to drop the bike off this week.
I just wanted to run it by you guys and hear what you think about cause and fix.
what changed? fine for 10K, changed OF and noticed seepage at 100 miles..guessing the rubber OF gasket was compromised..don't believe another issue popped up as a coincidence..hope I'm right and it's easy peasy

Old 04-24-2018, 12:05 AM
SoCalHDMC
Road Captain
Received 160 Likes on 107 Posts

I agree that is awfully coincidental. The case sealer looks (and feels) like a Three Bond product, used by metric manufacturers for decades. Anything is possible obviously.

Redrod did you by chance see if the oil filter could be turned a little more? If it takes a little more by hand that may be it. Another 1/8-1/4 turn certainly isn't going to overtighten it if you truly only have a 1/2 turn on it after the gasket touched the filter boss.

Old 04-24-2018, 04:48 AM
billbrummett
Tourer
Received 170 Likes on 99 Posts
Default crank sensor o-ring?

I had oil drips from bottom of engine. dealer replaced two o-rings on crank sensor, then discovered threads were defective in cases. had to replace engine cases. ugh!

Old 04-24-2018, 06:35 AM
Redrodyankneck
Stellar HDF Member

It is not the oil filter gasket, there is no question about that. It may seem coincidental but I have not kept an eye on that area because until now because I changed the filter this time.

The weep starts about an inch down from the base of the jug along that seam and appears to be 2" long, then as the oil heats up and migrates along the surface of the case it looks much bigger.

I've cleaned the area 3 times and it comes back in the exact same spot along the seam each time.
I wonder if the crankcase could be pressurized to confirm my suspicions.

I know my original post was long but I did mention that the area around the base of the filter was completely dry including the boss.

The dealer said that they wanted to put die in the oil but it has to be crankcase related
because of the location.

Old 04-24-2018, 06:37 AM
Redrodyankneck
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by billbrummett
I had oil drips from bottom of engine. dealer replaced two o-rings on crank sensor, then discovered threads were defective in cases. had to replace engine cases. ugh!

How long was your bike down? Seem like a massive job.

Old 04-24-2018, 05:12 PM
Redrodyankneck
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by SoCalHDMC
I agree that is awfully coincidental. The case sealer looks (and feels) like a Three Bond product, used by metric manufacturers for decades. Anything is possible obviously.

Redrod did you by chance see if the oil filter could be turned a little more? If it takes a little more by hand that may be it. Another 1/8-1/4 turn certainly isn't going to overtighten it if you truly only have a 1/2 turn on it after the gasket touched the filter boss.
As you suggest, I did try to tighten the filter when this first happened, I did get a little more than the 1/2 turn the manual says.
I cleaned everything up rode the bike for 100 miles and you can see the result in pic 2. That's when I was able to see that the OF boss was dry. The bike is going in the shop Thurs.

Old 04-25-2018, 06:07 PM
Redrodyankneck
Stellar HDF Member

Here is a better shot showing the dry oil filter boss boss.
Looks like splitting the cases is the fix, Yikes!!

The bike is going in tomorrow and if splitting the cases is the answer then I'll probably use the bike as is for the rest of this season. Have them split the case during the winter under warranty.
This would be a good time to do a stage kit as the labor would be free and maybe as a concession for the defect I could get them to cover the stage kit with an ESP??

Attached Thumbnails Oil seeping after 10K-016-800x600-.jpg  

Last edited by Redrodyankneck; 11-15-2018 at 07:08 PM.
Old 04-25-2018, 06:26 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,430 Likes on 1,577 Posts

The bike is going in tomorrow and if splitting the cases is the answer then I'll probably use the bike as is for the rest of this season. Have them split the case during the winter under warranty.
This would be a good time to do a stage kit as the labor would be free and maybe as a concession for the defect I could get them to cover the stage kit with an ESP??
MoCo uses silicone sealer when the case halves are assembled, there is no gasket.

Old 04-25-2018, 11:06 PM
SoCalHDMC
Road Captain
Received 160 Likes on 107 Posts

Keep us in the loop. This is definitely a weird one. I haven't researched to see if the case sealer is a Three Bond product, I would be curious to know. I am sure it is laid on the case half by hand during assembly, so as I stated previously, anything is certainly possible.

Quick Reply: Oil seeping after 10K