General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

REALLY short girl wanting a Harley

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2018, 11:53 PM
tinyrider
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 3 Posts
Default REALLY short girl wanting a Harley

So I’ve been researching the crap out of this and so far I’m the shortest person I can find who has her heart set on a Harley. I’m only 4’8. Is it even possible for me to ride one? I learned on a Kawasaki, I’ve sat on Yamaha’s, but there’s nothing like a Harley (as I’m sure everyone on here knows). What are my best options and what mods could make this possible? IS this possible? The shortest person I’ve read up on these forums was a whopping 5’2 - six inches taller than me. Help!

Top Answer

05-21-2018, 06:15 PM
tinyrider
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by zodder
Pretty close to the truth right there......

Yeah, well, if I always let my height get in the way of my life, I wouldn't have done half the stuff I've done. Besides, when I have nothing to lose, what's stopping me?

Old 05-21-2018, 12:01 AM
Narddog
Tourer
Received 401 Likes on 129 Posts

I test rode this Softail Slim S at my dealership. It was beautiful. It was also the shortest one I've ever sat on. I'd try sitting on one of these if you can find one.
Softail Slim S

Old 05-21-2018, 12:46 AM
ScottinAZ
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 14,274 Likes on 5,557 Posts

best I can do is say go and sit test as many bikes as you can. there are seats that can help adapt for shorter riders. Worst case, you can always go with a trike. no need to flat foot one of those. Good luck

The following 2 users liked this post by ScottinAZ:
pjdude (05-22-2018), SPRINGER (05-21-2018)
Old 05-21-2018, 12:49 AM
JohnMn
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by tinyrider
what mods could make this possible?
Aftermarket stuff; shorter rear shocks, forwards seats and pull back risers all combined will put you in a comfortable position for the controls and balance. Look at Low-rider dynas, Fat Boy softails and Road Kings as low center of gravity bikes
Is it possible? Yes.
Shortest one I know is a feller we call Little Man, he's 5 foot,, well maybe shorter now,, he's been riding for 40+yrs

The following users liked this post:
mctraveler (05-21-2018)
Old 05-21-2018, 01:02 AM
KenRice
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tinyrider
So I’ve been researching the crap out of this and so far I’m the shortest person I can find who has her heart set on a Harley. I’m only 4’8. Is it even possible for me to ride one? I learned on a Kawasaki, I’ve sat on Yamaha’s, but there’s nothing like a Harley (as I’m sure everyone on here knows). What are my best options and what mods could make this possible? IS this possible? The shortest person I’ve read up on these forums was a whopping 5’2 - six inches taller than me. Help!
Its not so much your height but the length of your inseam that matters. The length of my inseam is 28 inches and was fine on my '15 Slim. I used boots with thick soles and wanted Mean City Cycles to alter my seat but they said they were not able to make it any lower. If I needed the seat to be any lower I would have looked at the Lepera seat.

04ctd (05-21-2018)
Old 05-21-2018, 03:53 AM
klup
Tourer
Received 83 Likes on 46 Posts

I am probably that 5 ft 2 in member I really like my slim Harley has lowering kits different seats I almost bought a softtail deluxe the dealer was going to try a different seat but I bought the bike I like best the slim

Old 05-21-2018, 04:13 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

How much experience do you have on the Kawasaki? Anything can be done, but it requires hard work, practice and time. Not wishful thinking. I wouldn’t trust the opinions of people who haven’t experienced what it takes to be successful. Or tutored one, like a MSF instructor.

You should PM some of them. I think Neil is an instructor. https://www.hdforums.com/forum/members/13864-neil.html
Another instructor:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/membe...12-twistr.html
Good luck.

AJSHOVEL (05-21-2018)
Old 05-21-2018, 04:59 AM
Roadie13
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,005 Likes on 497 Posts

The better half is 5' 0" with her hair proofed up (28" inseam) and is now on a 16 RG. She started on a sportster, spent a few years on a couple of fat boy lo (including 7000+ mile round trip to Sturgis twice) but always wanted a big bike. Like others have said the inseam is more important than overall height. 4" might as well be a mile, but something can likely be done. The slim or an 883 lo may be the answer. We tried every combination possible of seats, boots, and air ride and she's finally at a point where she's comfortable, safe, and the bike rides without clearance/suspension issues. One important thing is our dealer was very willing to find a way to make it happen other than just slamming the bike and killing the ride quality. Feel free to shoot me a PM, glad to help you out any way we can.

Old 05-21-2018, 05:40 AM
Kingglide549
Banned
Received 969 Likes on 694 Posts

The 1977 onward Low Rider used to advertise a 26-inch ride height, so it is all relevant to what you want to spend.

http://dudeworld.com.au/ARTILOWRIDER.HTML

Last edited by Kingglide549; 05-21-2018 at 05:42 AM.
Old 05-21-2018, 06:02 AM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,192 Likes on 5,618 Posts

Look into a Ridley Motorcycle. They have very low seat heights, automatic transmissions and look very much like a Harley. My wife is 5'1 and she was looking at one several years ago. She sat on it and loved being able to flat foot it.

Quick Reply: REALLY short girl wanting a Harley