Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

Speed Bleeders, and Front Brake Drips

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2018, 06:05 PM
TOMMYBLAZIN
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts
Exclamation Speed Bleeders, and Front Brake Drips

Ok so in pics, the rear brake, has the First set/size of speed bleeders, and the rear, was a breeze, to bleed...

The front, well after I installed had a ever so slow drip? So I bought Longer ones, thinking maybe I didn't drive them deep enough into caliper?

Well , as you see in pics, there in there, same deal, lil Drips, and back bleed, and felt great!!!
Front Very Mushy....there both 2 piston caliper/brakes... I have a 2008 Rocker C Softail....

Im wondering if anyone had this issue, cables are new, well 200 miles on them, but I still flushed w/Fresh MOTUL Dot4 synthetic brake oil, the good stuff.... Bleed each brake, the rear never dripped took to bleeding great, the front never did, and I ran lots of new fresh oil thru those cables!!!!

I actually have another new bottle, as I dont use, anything left in a opened bottle, for moisture purposes, I thought I covered it all... I bought the second set of speed bleeders, as you can seee in front, as maybe I didnt drive them deep enough? SAME PROBLEM??? am I missing something,
as I read, to fix, the mushy front brake, I zip tie the lever to the handle bar grip, overnight, and in morning g, will have a solid feel to them!
I never got that far!!!!///
Suggestions... ?
Also, I should mention that the rear pucs that sit iim aluminum housings, that push pucs into brake pads,In the rear caliper, I have the flat side facing the pads,
Front I have the Open side facing pads, I was told thats right, and on Ronnies Microfish, seems to confirm that, altho, pics are not 100% accurate on there, black and white... but I never had a problem...looking for help/answers...

Lastly, I since removed rear pads, the aluminum holders pushed out, if I drain the oil from the Banjo, will they simply slide back into there homes!!!!

Thanks In Advance....
Tom

Old 05-24-2018, 06:07 PM
TOMMYBLAZIN
Road Master

btw,
the the front rotor is mirroring the carpet in garage..its not rusted up, and thats the cause . etc...
figured id make mention of that!

Old 05-25-2018, 07:49 PM
TOMMYBLAZIN
Road Master

no one? today I pulled it all apart, almost looked like since I had them powder coated, they didnt go in so easy, and I possibly overtightened, the bottom, has like a flare, that tip of bleeder rests in, I cleaned it all out real well, threads and, all, do they sell special bleeder, for problems like this, possibly a rubber tip, to , "adhere".. if that makes sense?

Old 05-25-2018, 08:47 PM
Rocking_it
Road Master
Received 1,209 Likes on 423 Posts

Why don’t you just put the OEM bleeder back on to see if it works? Only have to fush fluid every few years so I wouldn’t be stuck on using speed bleeders.

Old 05-25-2018, 08:50 PM
barneyboy
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,627 Likes on 1,532 Posts

Not sure what your problem is but I think all bleeders (speed or otherwise) have tapered pipe thread, and don't need to be bottomed out to seal. So longer may not be the solution as it bottoms out before the taper makes the seal. Try shorter with fresh thread sealant (I do not recommended teflon tape), and proper torque, and see how that works out.

Old 05-25-2018, 09:01 PM
Camarosx2
Cruiser
Received 187 Likes on 87 Posts

Never seen a rubber tipped bleeder and I personally hate speed bleeders, they always seem to leak. best thing I’ve found is a clear hose inserted fully into a bottle, make sure to put a pinhole in the bottle to relieve pressure and have enough fluid so the end of the hose is submerged . I’m an auto mechanic in New England and all the salt treatment kills calipers so I bleed lots and lots of brakes.

if I’m interpreting what your saying right you have the rear pistons installed backwards, The hollow part always faces the pad and the flat side goes into the caliper, but yes if you open the banjo or even easier the bleeder with a hose so u don’t make a mess, the pistons will go back in, as long as the reservoir isn’t over filled the piston should go back in without opening anything unless they are jammed (from being backwards??)

Old 05-25-2018, 11:25 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 792 Likes on 603 Posts

It is very very difficult to understand what you typed.
Probably using a smart phone and auto correct is making things rather difficult to understand.
I tried to read it multiple times but the wording, descriptions, grammar and sentence structure makes it rather confusing.
I will take a wild guess that speed bleeder is causing a leak and that maybe it is due to debris ( paint/powder coat crack or speck of garbage) at threaded hole for speedbleeder .

Old 05-26-2018, 08:28 AM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Received 2,237 Likes on 1,813 Posts

Originally Posted by Camarosx2
if I’m interpreting what your saying right you have the rear pistons installed backwards, The hollow part always faces the pad and the flat side goes into the caliper,
Just to offer some info...
I just saw these myself, but apparently some of those rear 2 piston sliding calipers have "Inserts" placed in the pistons...That might be what he's referring to

Check this Thread Out ... https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...ar-brakes.html

The following users liked this post:
Campy Roadie (05-26-2018)
Old 05-26-2018, 08:32 AM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Received 2,237 Likes on 1,813 Posts

Also in the spirit of nipping bad info in the bud ...

Mr Rubble, Bleeders do not use tapered pipe threads and don't seal with the threads. They seal with the "Tapers" on the end of the Bleeder and inside the caliper

Old 05-26-2018, 10:11 AM
barneyboy
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,627 Likes on 1,532 Posts

Originally Posted by multihdrdr
Also in the spirit of nipping bad info in the bud ...

Mr Rubble, Bleeders do not use tapered pipe threads and don't seal with the threads. They seal with the "Tapers" on the end of the Bleeder and inside the caliper
I stand corrected. Nip it, nip it in the bud.

Quick Reply: Speed Bleeders, and Front Brake Drips