Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can you run an SPL 8" woofer off the sub out RCA's

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 09:47 PM
Moto Mike
Road Warrior
Received 122 Likes on 116 Posts
Default Can you run an SPL 8" woofer off the sub out RCA's

I was told by Jonathon at Garage bagger stereo that I couldn't run an SPL woofer like the Ground Zero CZCK 200L off of my sub out pre amp RCA's of my KW 998 because the frequency range of the sub outs will not give you enough high frequencies for it to work! Anybody know if that is true and if it is, can I only run subs off the sub pre outs, or are there some 8" inch SPL woofers that would work. Anybody know the frequency range of the sub out on a 998 or can you measure it? The 998 has a through setting in the sub control section in the through mode do you get all frequencies 20Hz to 20kHz! Any help will be appreciated! PS... I called the cheap (cheeeaaap) phone tech at KW and he didn't have a clue!

Last edited by Moto Mike; 08-13-2018 at 09:52 PM.
Old 08-13-2018, 09:55 PM
BlackPearl#1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 124 Likes on 111 Posts

Hey Mike. Don't have your exact answer, but a set of Y adapters and you have another rear channel just like that.....
Kris

Old 08-13-2018, 10:14 PM
Moto Mike
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by BlackPearl#1
Hey Mike. Don't have your exact answer, but a set of Y adapters and you have another rear channel just like that.....
Kris
I have the rear out RCA split now for the 2 sets of channels on the TN 900 now one for the 6x9's, one for the 7.1's. I want to run another RCA off the sub out RCA's to control channel 3&4 of the TN and use the sub section (x-over,volume, ect) of the 998 DSP to control the woofers or if need be the subs! I will run the VO 6x9's and 7.1's in parallel off channels 1&2. from the rear out RCA's...if that makes sense!

Old 08-14-2018, 09:27 AM
matt76cmich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts

I think the problem is with that GZ speaker you will want to bandpass with the crossovers. Now in the highest LP at 250hz will be too low, but you can do it if you want. Ideally you would HP around 50-55hz and then LP around 1500-2500hz to get the most out of that speaker in the bag facing the wheel. Using the through setting you will likely get distorted sound from the speaker in the higher ranges since the speaker was not designed for those frequencies.

make sense?

The following users liked this post:
Moto Mike (08-14-2018)
Old 08-14-2018, 09:53 AM
Moto Mike
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by matt76cmich
I think the problem is with that GZ speaker you will want to bandpass with the crossovers. Now in the highest LP at 250hz will be too low, but you can do it if you want. Ideally you would HP around 50-55hz and then LP around 1500-2500hz to get the most out of that speaker in the bag facing the wheel. Using the through setting you will likely get distorted sound from the speaker in the higher ranges since the speaker was not designed for those frequencies.

make sense?
Yeah Matt, makes sense..if I run it in though mode I could use the high and low pass filters on my TN 900...but the filter adjustments on the TN are not as accurate and as easy to use as the DSP Sub adjustments on the 998...but the 998 DSP only has HP filter...but also has volume, x-over adj., slope, size of sub, ect. Trying to figure out what is the frequency range coming out of the sub out RCA's. Trying to figure out how to use the 998 for finger tip adjustments rather then the cheap x-over section of the TN amp???

Last edited by Moto Mike; 08-14-2018 at 09:54 AM.
Old 08-14-2018, 03:24 PM
marcodarq
Stellar HDF Member
Received 716 Likes on 566 Posts

i just read through the manual on your head unit and it appears to me that you can set the filter on the thru setting which should allow full frequency range to pass. quick and dirty test is to set the filter on thru and hook up a speaker and see if you get full range sound. if it works as i think it will you should be good, but the test will confirm it an not cost you anything but your time.
marco

Moto Mike (08-14-2018)
Old 08-14-2018, 03:34 PM
Babyboy
Stellar HDF Member
Received 461 Likes on 387 Posts

Originally Posted by Moto Mike
Yeah Matt, makes sense..if I run it in though mode I could use the high and low pass filters on my TN 900...but the filter adjustments on the TN are not as accurate and as easy to use as the DSP Sub adjustments on the 998...but the 998 DSP only has HP filter...but also has volume, x-over adj., slope, size of sub, ect. Trying to figure out what is the frequency range coming out of the sub out RCA's. Trying to figure out how to use the 998 for finger tip adjustments rather then the cheap x-over section of the TN amp???
Mike
When you get ready for setting you amp up I do have a SMD CC1 crossover calibrator that you are more than welcome to use

Moto Mike (08-14-2018)
Old 08-14-2018, 05:52 PM
matt76cmich
Outstanding HDF Member

Mike, the sub output has LP crossover (the picture is a screenshot from the online manual for your head unit). Are you able to run a HP and LP on that amp at the same time? For what you want that speaker to do you want it only playing 55-1500hz ideally, the more vocals you want it play you could LP around 2500hz

Moto Mike (08-14-2018)
Old 08-14-2018, 06:03 PM
matt76cmich
Outstanding HDF Member

This pic is off of the data sheet for that Ground Zero speaker. You can see where the db starts falling off after 1500hz (at a 45° angle)

Last edited by matt76cmich; 08-14-2018 at 06:05 PM.
Moto Mike (08-14-2018)
Old 08-14-2018, 08:13 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 410 Likes on 377 Posts

I was told by Jonathon at Garage bagger stereo that I couldn't run an SPL woofer like the Ground Zero CZCK 200L off of my sub out pre amp RCA's of my KW 998 because the frequency range of the sub outs will not give you enough high frequencies for it to work! Anybody know if that is true and if it is, can I only run subs off the sub pre outs, or are there some 8" inch SPL woofers that would work. Anybody know the frequency range of the sub out on a 998 or can you measure it? The 998 has a through setting in the sub control section in the through mode do you get all frequencies 20Hz to 20kHz! Any help will be appreciated! PS... I called the cheap (cheeeaaap) phone tech at KW and he didn't have a clue!
No Sir!

Quick Reply: Can you run an SPL 8" woofer off the sub out RCA's