Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended Brake Pedal

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2018, 10:53 AM
WightDiamond
Advanced
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Extended Brake Pedal

This has been talked about before a few years back but thought I'd just post this mod for anyone who might need it or be seeing it for the first time.

The S&S air cleaner on my 2000 XL1200C pushes my leg out to the point where I’ve had to twist my foot inwards to search for the brake pedal. That’s never felt quite safe but no real options are offered by any company for the Sporty brake pedals, only the larger tourers. However, with a small modification in the form of drilling a single hole through the stock brake pedal, it’s perfectly possibly to fit the Kuryakyn 8044 Longhorn brake pedal extended pad. Job done and problem solved!

The following users liked this post:
WKNDS (09-14-2018)
Old 09-14-2018, 12:47 PM
whylee
Road Warrior
Received 343 Likes on 244 Posts

Thanks for the info, was going to try something to extend my pedal, now to see if it comes in black.

Old 09-14-2018, 03:07 PM
WightDiamond
Advanced

Originally Posted by whylee
Thanks for the info, was going to try something to extend my pedal, now to see if it comes in black.
Fairly sure they don't come in black but spraying on would be a simple job.

Old 09-14-2018, 03:44 PM
Mborras1
Cruiser
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Good info I will definitely be doing this mid.
Ive been searching for a extended pedal on the market with no luck.

Old 09-14-2018, 04:00 PM
WKNDS
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,263 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by WightDiamond
This has been talked about before a few years back but thought I'd just post this mod for anyone who might need it or be seeing it for the first time.

The S&S air cleaner on my 2000 XL1200C pushes my leg out to the point where I’ve had to twist my foot inwards to search for the brake pedal. That’s never felt quite safe but no real options are offered by any company for the Sporty brake pedals, only the larger tourers. However, with a small modification in the form of drilling a single hole through the stock brake pedal, it’s perfectly possibly to fit the Kuryakyn 8044 Longhorn brake pedal extended pad. Job done and problem solved!

Thanks for the info. Most of the time when I see "extended" it means further forward or the "arm" is longer
for TALL folks or those with long legs. I like your mod. I think I might see if I can apply this same principal
to my Softail which has the same issue with the Arlen Ness air cleaner sticking out further.
(the OL's Iron has mid controls, so no issue there)

Thanks!

T.

WightDiamond (09-15-2018)
Old 09-14-2018, 08:10 PM
shenger
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Great info. Did you take the brake pedal off when drilling the hole? And is that right no black option?

Old 09-15-2018, 01:55 AM
WightDiamond
Advanced

Originally Posted by shenger
Great info. Did you take the brake pedal off when drilling the hole? And is that right no black option?
No. The middle rubber pad reveals the hole in the 8044. The frame at the back of it is slightly larger than the Sportster brake pedal so it allows you a little movement to position it exactly where you want it. Position it to your liking and then mark the pedal through the hole with a marker pen. Then just drill the hole, first with a small size drill and gradually work up to the correct size for the supplied bolt. That way you'll get a clean hole. Bolt on the 8044 using a little thread-lock on the nut as it's not a locking nut. Peel off the 3M backing on the middle rubber pad and stick it down over the centre placing, thus covering the bolt head.

I did a search and could not find a black option.

Old 09-15-2018, 02:05 AM
WightDiamond
Advanced

There are some Chinese sellers on eBay that do similar pedals in black. Search on eBay.com for "sportster brake pedal cover" and quite a few come up like this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Edge-Cut-Gr...d/132521154643

Old 09-15-2018, 07:45 AM
Kenny94945
Stellar HDF Member
Received 332 Likes on 290 Posts

OP's pedal looks nice.

WightDiamond (09-15-2018)
Old 11-09-2018, 08:31 AM
riverwilds
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been looking for this also, after installing Vance/Hines exhaust. They came with Footpeg extension, but have to **** foot in to hit brake. I found this ***** G one on Amazon, the pics show it in a black/red skull option, but no where to change to that option. There is a black one on there (for $5 more than Chrome?), but it doesn't have the red skull...
Amazon Amazon

Quick Reply: Extended Brake Pedal