Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Doggone Ride Planner

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2019, 11:20 AM
Michael Haz
Cruiser
Received 97 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Doggone Ride Planner

HD Ride Planner is easy to use on my laptop, But when I transfer a .GPX file to a thumb drive and import it to the BOOM nav system, things go haywire.

The entire route seems to load, but then only parts of it appear on the nav screen. And if I attempt to change trips, the screen reverts back the original trip. It's frustrating. So I have a few questions:

1. Anyone else having this or similar issues? How were they resolved?

2. Will the .GPX files from a different planner, say Garmin Basecamp, work with the HD nav system?

Thanks!

Old 04-09-2019, 12:06 PM
TexasMotorcycleRider
Grand HDF Member
Received 666 Likes on 443 Posts

Sounds like you are using multiple destinations in one route. The Boom Nav breaks those down into separate routes and not in a clean way. You need to change your destinations to Waypoints and it will load it all as one route. I am doing a brewery run in a few weeks and can't select each brewery as a destination, instead they are waypoints but if you set them as a destination and edit and name them before converting to waypoints some of them will at least keep the name of that you put on them when you convert to waypoint.

For example,

GoodBrew Brewery: Click to edit on the destination on the left side of Ride Planner. There are two lines, the top can be edited. Add, "GoodBrew" or whatever you want to call it. After your route is complete convert destinations to waypoints and your waypoint for that spot should be called "GoodBrew" when you load it in your Nav. Of course, it doesn't always take but some is better than none.

The following 2 users liked this post by TexasMotorcycleRider:
Michael Haz (04-09-2019), tbrtt1 (04-10-2019)
Old 04-09-2019, 06:23 PM
Michael Haz
Cruiser
Received 97 Likes on 34 Posts

Thanks. What a pain in the butt. I'm planning a 30-day ride, and it sounds like I'll need a separate route for each day. When I had a Garmin on my BMW, I could load an entire route, including all stops, and no further action was needed.

Last edited by Michael Haz; 04-09-2019 at 08:16 PM.
Old 04-09-2019, 07:00 PM
steve04
Cruiser
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

HD keeps changing how Ride Planner works. I’ve stopped using it and have been using “MyRouteApp”. Simple, clean interface that’s easy to save to thumb drive and load into bike. Try it, you’ll like it.

The following 2 users liked this post by steve04:
bpav16 (10-12-2019), CosmicTwister (04-14-2019)
Old 04-10-2019, 10:52 AM
scooterGdawg
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

currently, i use the honda ride planner..... as it doesn't break up the route.

doesn't show HD icons for stores, but works as it should.

hint: just type in what your looking for, ie, Thunder Road Harley instead of trying to find it on the map ... works like a champ

you can't seem to drag the route to a particular road you may want to take, but you can add it as a stop....

i could probably tell you why each planning software sux.... Honda's sux less than all the others

Old 04-10-2019, 03:43 PM
TexasMotorcycleRider
Grand HDF Member
Received 666 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by scooterGdawg
currently, i use the honda ride planner..... as it doesn't break up the route.

doesn't show HD icons for stores, but works as it should.

hint: just type in what your looking for, ie, Thunder Road Harley instead of trying to find it on the map ... works like a champ

you can't seem to drag the route to a particular road you may want to take, but you can add it as a stop....

i could probably tell you why each planning software sux.... Honda's sux less than all the others
It's not the ride planner that breaks up the route, its the Harley Boom GTS Navigation system. Also, HD locations are stored in the Boom Nav, not in the route itself. When you do updates to your Nav system HD locations are part of the update.

Did you ever get a Harley?

Last edited by TexasMotorcycleRider; 04-10-2019 at 03:46 PM.
Old 04-10-2019, 04:41 PM
Woodsy
Supporter
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Lol, I'm in the same boat, had been using Garmin on my BMW's for years, I doubt you'll every be happy with the garbage unit in the Harley after what you've been used to. I'm heading out on 10k ride in a few days, I've decided to mount my phone & use a route that I created on Google Mymaps, guess we'll see how that works?. Pretty sad when you spend all this money & have to use your phone to navigate lol. The MyRouteApp that Steve04 mentioned is something I haven't tried. If it loads into the HD unit it might be worth a look.

Old 04-10-2019, 05:54 PM
steve04
Cruiser
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Woodsy,
Try “MyRouteApp” I think you’ll like it. It lets you save a planned route in a HD boom gpx file format that the Infotainment center likes.

The following 2 users liked this post by steve04:
Godinaz (05-04-2019), sportglide (04-14-2019)
Old 04-10-2019, 06:10 PM
tbrtt1
Novice
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Haz
HD Ride Planner is easy to use on my laptop, But when I transfer a .GPX file to a thumb drive and import it to the BOOM nav system, things go haywire.

The entire route seems to load, but then only parts of it appear on the nav screen. And if I attempt to change trips, the screen reverts back the original trip. It's frustrating. So I have a few questions:

1. Anyone else having this or similar issues? How were they resolved?

2. Will the .GPX files from a different planner, say Garmin Basecamp, work with the HD nav system?

Thanks!
Yes, I have struggled with this. I will try Waypoints as Rocket suggests.

Originally Posted by Rocket67
Sounds like you are using multiple destinations in one route. The Boom Nav breaks those down into separate routes and not in a clean way. You need to change your destinations to Waypoints and it will load it all as one route. I am doing a brewery run in a few weeks and can't select each brewery as a destination, instead they are waypoints but if you set them as a destination and edit and name them before converting to waypoints some of them will at least keep the name of that you put on them when you convert to waypoint.

For example,

GoodBrew Brewery: Click to edit on the destination on the left side of Ride Planner. There are two lines, the top can be edited. Add, "GoodBrew" or whatever you want to call it. After your route is complete convert destinations to waypoints and your waypoint for that spot should be called "GoodBrew" when you load it in your Nav. Of course, it doesn't always take but some is better than none.
I will have to see how about converting to Waypoints. I have a 2019 Boom Box GTS. The attempted concept is actually great: I create the ride on my laptop, it shows up automatically on my HD App on my iPhone and when I fire up the bike I can transfer the ride from the app to the Boom Box. No need for thumb drives. But I get the rides and multiple rides, I get error message saying transfer failed, (even though it transferred) and it is just a mess.

I tried thumbdrive .GPX transfers and get the same thing. Do you put in a desitnation and then drag the route to alter it?

I will also try using Basecamp using waypoints and see how that works.

Old 04-10-2019, 08:33 PM
tbrtt1
Novice
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Eureka! Thanks Rocket67! I was able to change all stops to waypoints and bingo, the rout went from my iPhone HD App via Bluetooth into the Boom Box GTS correctly as one ride with multiple waypoints. Strangely, I still get a message "transfer error" or something of the sort, but the ride was there under the rides icon on the BBGTS.

The following 3 users liked this post by tbrtt1:
jimmiedwad (05-14-2019), Michael Haz (04-11-2019), TexasMotorcycleRider (04-11-2019)

Quick Reply: Doggone Ride Planner