EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Annoying transmission vent hose leak?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 10:03 PM
Dynamn
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Annoying transmission vent hose leak?

To start off I have a 98 dyna superglide with 30k on it. So here's the problem. Pulled my bike out of storage about a month ago(cold storage) and fired it up and milky oil came out of the tranny vent hose, shut it off let it sit awhile fired it back up and the leak stopped. Now seems like everytime it sits over night and i start it up the next day it does the same thing. It had all 3 oils changed last fall before storage. Tranny oil seems seems to be the right level, engine oil is fine. Temps where im at have bern in the sixties during the day but getting down to 30-40 at night. Could the oil be just getting to thick and sticking to the case and boil out while idling on the jiffy stand? To be clear when ive checked the tranny fluid ive done it while its cold and i sit on the bike and try to hold it level and i unscrew the dip stick and then just set it back in to check it? Any help would be great. Thanks. This is my first Harley so trying to learn all i can. Thanks.

Old 04-25-2019, 07:56 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by Dynamn
To start off I have a 98 dyna superglide with 30k on it. So here's the problem. Pulled my bike out of storage about a month ago(cold storage) and fired it up and milky oil came out of the tranny vent hose, shut it off let it sit awhile fired it back up and the leak stopped. Now seems like everytime it sits over night and i start it up the next day it does the same thing. It had all 3 oils changed last fall before storage. Tranny oil seems seems to be the right level, engine oil is fine. Temps where im at have bern in the sixties during the day but getting down to 30-40 at night. Could the oil be just getting to thick and sticking to the case and boil out while idling on the jiffy stand? To be clear when ive checked the tranny fluid ive done it while its cold and i sit on the bike and try to hold it level and i unscrew the dip stick and then just set it back in to check it? Any help would be great. Thanks. This is my first Harley so trying to learn all i can. Thanks.
Milky oil is usually a sign of water contamination.
What fluids are you using in your transmission and primary?

Old 04-25-2019, 08:12 AM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,924 Likes on 3,022 Posts

Drain and refill it with new fluid.

Old 04-25-2019, 08:20 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,541 Likes on 3,793 Posts

You sure the milky oil coming out of the tranny vent hose is really the transmission vent hose. Make sure that it is not the engine hose. Think you have a bottom breather. And it's normal after sitting for it to do that. The normal vent gas is fuel vapors and water blowby from combustion venting. It drags some oil that falls out on the inside of the hose and runs out after sitting a while.

Old 04-25-2019, 08:40 AM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

It's a 98, it's not a bottom breather.

Old 04-25-2019, 08:50 AM
Dynamn
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure on what brand and weight of oils were put in it when it was serviced last fall, when i check the tranny fluid it is nice and clear. Im pretty sure its the tranny vent, its on the left side of the tranny and comes out and makes a u shape and it dumps the oil on top of the primary. How is the tranny fluid supposed to be checked on this bike? Cold or hot, on the stand or sitting level? Only oil i havent checked was the primary. Also im assuming engine oul can be checked while on the stand and when cold since there is a hash mark for cold and hot.

Old 04-25-2019, 09:00 AM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

On my 94 Softail it's
Cool, standing straight up not on the jiffy stand.
Clean the area around the plug
Use an allen wrench to remove the plug on the top, front right corner of the transmission cover.
Check your manual or Google it.

Old 04-25-2019, 09:01 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,541 Likes on 3,793 Posts

I think if you follow that hose back, you will see it's coming from where someone made it an external breather. It heads up, to the right and behind carb T fitted to the head box covers. Check transmission cold, bike level and stick not screwed in. Read the stick. Sometimes they tell you. I have see some calibrated to be in.

Transmission vents top front of case, does a 180 down and is under bike

Transmission vents also vents primary. So one or other could be too full if you are really looking at the correct hose. It is real easy to get primary too full.

The transmission also has an attached hose to it from tank vent. I assume it's the oilbag for engine hung below the transmission. However, when you look at fuel tank, I think it may be coming from there. New one for me. Be sure you have the proper gas cap.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 04-25-2019 at 10:02 AM.
Old 04-25-2019, 09:11 AM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

From the center of the cover it's at 2 o'clock.

Old 04-25-2019, 09:17 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by Dynamn
Not sure on what brand and weight of oils were put in it when it was serviced last fall, when i check the tranny fluid it is nice and clear. Im pretty sure its the tranny vent, its on the left side of the tranny and comes out and makes a u shape and it dumps the oil on top of the primary. How is the tranny fluid supposed to be checked on this bike? Cold or hot, on the stand or sitting level? Only oil i havent checked was the primary. Also im assuming engine oul can be checked while on the stand and when cold since there is a hash mark for cold and hot.
If you have any mechanical ability at all you need to get a service manual and do your own fluid changes.
Nobody is gonna care about your bike as much as you.

You are correct about your tranny vent.

On the right side, top forward position on the tranny case you will see a large allen screw.
That is how you check your tranny fluid.

Quick Reply: Annoying transmission vent hose leak?