General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting to know the FXR/EVO

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2019, 07:45 PM
Rustyg500
Road Captain
Received 199 Likes on 105 Posts
Default Getting to know the FXR/EVO

Have been looking at a basically stock 1999 FXR and am in a quandary. I have been involved with Twinkies TC88/95) for the last 15 years and know a little about them and their quirks. The FXR/EVO is a different animal however.
'

Just what should I look out for in the FXR/EVO? What issues do they have that I may have to address in the future? I kow the TC's had issues with cam chain tensioners and oil pump upgrades etc. I am looking for what kind of problems I might encounter with the EVO and the FXR in general.
'
The bike is 1000 miles away from me so I plan to ride it home if it is up to it. I will not have a owners manual for some time so I need to know some basics like how big is the gas tank and mileage I can expect?
'
How does one check the oil?
'
Tire pressure? And all that good kind of stuff.
Thanks all in advance.

Old 05-24-2019, 01:04 AM
Durham man
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,427 Likes on 909 Posts

On my 92, 30-36 tire pressure . Oil tank is under the seat. The biggest problem was the ones that came with the Ina cam bearing. Google Ina Evo cam bearing. The Torrington cam bearing is the one you want. Your year would have the Ina bearing.

Old 05-24-2019, 06:43 AM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,190 Likes on 5,617 Posts

I've never owned an Evo but I have heard of cracked casings due to the way the motor and tranny are bolted together.

Old 05-24-2019, 06:58 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Originally Posted by Bubba Zanetti
I've never owned an Evo but I have heard of cracked casings due to the way the motor and tranny are bolted together.
The EVO engine and transmission aren't bolted together, that started with the Twin Cam. Big inch/power EVOs needed this to keep from cracking the inner primary due to twisting forces:

http://carlinidesign.com/Harley-Part...orque-Arm.html

But, there were a few years to avoid with the EVO because of thin or porous engine castings, they also has some failures of the inner (INA) cam bearing.

Old 05-24-2019, 07:43 AM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,788 Likes on 6,213 Posts

If it's a '99, and the base gaskets and cam bearing haven't been already addressed long ago, it would be obvious by now.
Mine's a '93 with over 100,000 miles...wouldn't hesitate to take it anywhere in this country.
Best engine H-D ever made.

Old 05-24-2019, 07:57 AM
hellonewman
Club Member
Received 5,739 Likes on 2,472 Posts

I just bought an 84 FXR and sold the twinkie. As much as I loved my road king the FXR is more fun to ride because it handles well, the frame is very well made and it has the harley sound I prefer vs the twinkie. Mine's been upgraded in the trans, primary and starter department so the biggest shortcomings of the 84 have been addressed. Mine being an 84 it's prior to ***** G leaning the rear shocks forward to change the look to a more traditional harley. Some say that effected handling. If you look at the FXR frame you can see some influence from the Norton featherbed and or old 80's CB650 in it. A bit of a knockoff of those frames but for good reason. That frame was dropped due to cost.

Ive heard of EVO case problems where they were good then they weren't then harley corrected it. Not sure of the years effected.

Old 05-24-2019, 09:09 AM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,190 Likes on 5,617 Posts

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
The EVO engine and transmission aren't bolted together, that started with the Twin Cam. Big inch/power EVOs needed this to keep from cracking the inner primary due to twisting forces:

http://carlinidesign.com/Harley-Part...orque-Arm.html

But, there were a few years to avoid with the EVO because of thin or porous engine castings, they also has some failures of the inner (INA) cam bearing.
As I said, I'm no expert, however the tranny and motor were joined, it caused some problems with twisting or torqueing and in some instances the cases cracked.

Old 05-24-2019, 09:17 AM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,788 Likes on 6,213 Posts

As I said, I'm no expert, however the tranny and motor were joined, it caused some problems with twisting or torqueing and in some instances the cases cracked.
Some people used Carlini torque arms for that. My Evo is "built" (around 95-100 hp), and I've never had a problem without it.
Drive belts...now that's another story.

Old 05-24-2019, 10:07 AM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,388 Likes on 2,952 Posts

Yes, the "threshold" for the inner primary is/was about 85ft.lbs.
Below this and you were pretty much good.

Slightly above it and you should be ok.
Way above this and you'll need the torque arm.

Btw, the inner case fails in a "downward" motion.

Again, left in a stock (or near stock) configuration, fix the inner cam bearing, then ride that sucker!

Old 05-24-2019, 10:27 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

I wasn't hacking on you Bubba. Maybe I read more into the word "joined". Have a good weekend

Quick Reply: Getting to know the FXR/EVO