Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chasing this bagger wobble

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2019, 08:30 PM
night train tc95
Novice
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Chasing this bagger wobble

night train tc95 , Today 09:27 PM
I have a 2007 SG with this wobble issue. I've been chasing it for a few years now. I have a rear stabilizer, rear bushing stiffeners, a pair of $900 Ohlins in the rear and Legends monotube shocks up front, new glide-pro motor mount up front and just aligned the bike. The front tire was perfect and my back tire was leaned 1° and was turned about a 1/8 inch to the left. I was positive that was my issue, so I adjusted it to where everything is straight and the rear tire is 90° against a leveled frame. Even went as far as adjusting my neck bearing to the three swings as per the manual. Took it out for a ride, leaned it into a nice sweeping turn at about 80-85 and as soon as I hit a little imperfection, the bike started to wobble. And by wobble, I mean my bike wants to start standing up and laying back down pretty quickly and I can see my front end turning back and forth slightly. On the highway, it does this around 90-95 and it really depends on the curve. Any bump or wave in the road surface will get the bike wobbling and at 90, it gets very scary. I have thousands on top of thousands in suspension and stabilizers and it's still doing it. Am I expecting to much out of this bike? Or do I just not know how to take a turn at higher speeds? Or is there something I'm missing with the setup on the rear shocks? The bike tracks straight as an arrow in a straight line doing 100mph or taking tight turns at 50-60, it's just those high speed turns that get very scary. Especially when I'm always doing 85-90 on the highway. I'd really love to know someone's opinion that's fixed this issue or can give me some suggestions on how to take a high speed turn, because at this point, I'm thinking it's rider error. (I'm fully aware I ride fast and I'm not on a street bike, but this bike should handle it)

Old 06-17-2019, 08:43 PM
dave grider
Cruiser
Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

I also have a 07 streetglide. I had a problem with the spoke rims on mine. The spokes loosened up and took out the hub. Switched to mags and the problem went away. Also the type of tires you run can make a big difference. Good Luck

Old 06-17-2019, 09:04 PM
springers4ever
Road Master
Received 228 Likes on 134 Posts
Cool trike Stabilizer

you should try the steering stabilizer that is stock eq. on the Harley trikes(see picture) ...very pricey too...
but still may be hard to get all the wobble out from a 1000 lb bike leaned over in the corners ....

or one like this ...
http://www.ultraboy.us/Steering%20Da...H%20Harley.pdf
good luck ..

Old 06-17-2019, 10:35 PM
ULTRA ZOOM
Cruiser
Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

A motor home will never be a F1 race car no matter how much money you throw at it. Maybe you have the wrong bike. A 900 lb bike is not a super bike a
on a race course.Enjoy it for what it is.

The following 3 users liked this post by ULTRA ZOOM:
Circa58 (06-19-2019), Madcop (06-19-2019), NORTY FLATZ (06-20-2019)
Old 06-17-2019, 11:38 PM
svarnster
Road Warrior
Received 295 Likes on 240 Posts

1 thing u said is when you hit an imperfection. That will unsettle the best sport bike the difference is the sport bike usually can be brought back under control by powering out of it. These big suckers get out of wack and it is scary. I find the bat wing likes to lift the bike when getting into higher speeds 90 - 100 the sport bike is being pushed down with more speed. I have been thinking of trying a klock werks windshield to see if I can add some down force at higher speed. if u find a fix please share it.

Old 06-18-2019, 01:14 AM
Z
Road Warrior
Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

I don't think you're asking too much of your bike at all, and I doubt it's your riding skills.

I had this wobble when I first purchased my bike but it was eliminated when I installed a bagger brace, Progressives in the rear, and Progressive cartridges up front. Now when I hit a minor imperfection in a high speed sweeper my bike will dive a bit once, rise a bit, and then stabilize, which I think is how most properly handling bikes will behave.

You've done a ton to correct this, which makes me start to wonder about things like...

- Are you carrying an imbalanced load side-to side?
- is it possible that your frame is bent or that one of your wheels is out of round?

- has this problem followed you through a fresh set of properly balanced and inflated tires?

Just some thoughts. Tracking down a problem like this can be maddening. Hang in there!

Old 06-18-2019, 05:38 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,249 Likes on 812 Posts

Harley neck bearing specs are very oddly loose, imo. It will promote wiggle/wobble leaned over in a turn when hitting a bump. You can, to a degree, muscle it down. But the likes of a steering damper will greatly help.

There is also the play in the rear swing arm between the inner bearing bushings and the shaft. Addressing this greatly helped stabilize my 04 RK, which I think has the same swing arm as yours.

Old 06-18-2019, 06:19 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,931 Likes on 2,569 Posts

I was chasing a slight wobble for a couple of years on my 2005 Road Glide. Re-packing the neck bearings and adjusting per the manual helped but it was still there. At 75k miles I decided to stop chasing the front end and look at the swing arm bearings. The swing arm had obvious play side to side. Changed out those bearings (I just went with stock, they had lasted that long) and she is back to handling like a dream. You have done a ton of work, it is going to be very difficult to nail down which component is your issue. Good luck.

Old 06-18-2019, 08:05 AM
LJLKRL05
Tourer
Received 143 Likes on 92 Posts

Agree with the two above me. Neck bearings should be looked at. I had a Honda VTX 1300 and replaced the neck bearings with aftermarket ones, and there was no more wobble. I know it is a totally different bike, but sounds like the same issue.
Honda used ball bearings and I switched to All ***** needle bearings. World of difference.

Old 06-18-2019, 09:37 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,411 Likes on 4,016 Posts

The first post in this thread is a good read

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...e-exposed.html

Quick Reply: Chasing this bagger wobble