Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

03' EG Standard cruise control

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2024, 06:21 PM
JDogEG
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03' EG Standard cruise control

I have an 03 EG standard for about a year now and I would really like to add factory cruise control to it. That was one of the main reasons I even wanted a touring bike to begin with when I transitioned from a street bike. But the deal I found that I could afford was a standard. I've tried looking up info on it and find lots of different answers and mostly for slightly newer years. Can anyone point me in the right direction or tell me if it's even possible on the standard carbureted EG? Thanks.

Old 05-01-2024, 06:36 PM
07UltraGuy
Stellar HDF Member

Received 5,421 Likes on 1,902 Posts

The early cruise control module is a discontinued item; as in you have to buy a used one.
They are getting pretty expensive too, last one I saw was over $300.
Not sure about it working on your carbureted motor though.

Have you thought about the thumb-screw version?

Old 05-01-2024, 06:42 PM
JDogEG
5th Gear

Originally Posted by 07UltraGuy
The early cruise control module is a discontinued item; as in you have to buy a used one.
They are getting pretty expensive too, last one I saw was over $300.
Not sure about it working on your carbureted motor though.

Have you thought about the thumb-screw version?
I'm honestly fine with paying more for it if I have too. I'm just not sure what all i need. I see the modules by themselves on ebay for around $200 or so but I imagine that's not all I need. Of course the switches and housing, but other than those and the module itself. I've looked at the throttle locks and I have the little thumb screw star shaped thing factory, but I just really like the idea of legitimate cruise where I just push a button on my handlebars and it engages.

Old 05-01-2024, 07:04 PM
07UltraGuy
Stellar HDF Member

Received 5,421 Likes on 1,902 Posts

I suspect that your best option will be to find the needed components from a reseller such as Fallen Cycle (or similar) to pull the switch housings, switches, etc from an Ultra of that vintage.

Old 05-01-2024, 07:08 PM
JDogEG
5th Gear

Originally Posted by 07UltraGuy
I suspect that your best option will be to find the needed components from a reseller such as Fallen Cycle (or similar) to pull the switch housings, switches, etc from an Ultra of that vintage.
I agree that I'll have to buy everything second hand. That's fine. My main problem is finding out what all parts I actually need so I'm not missing something.

Old 05-02-2024, 06:51 AM
Goose_NC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,288 Likes on 2,006 Posts

Originally Posted by JDogEG
I agree that I'll have to buy everything second hand. That's fine. My main problem is finding out what all parts I actually need so I'm not missing something.
These situations is where the OEM manuals for that bike are very useful. You can probably find a DVD on eBay with the manuals for that year bike if you cannot find the hard copy manuals.

Old 05-02-2024, 07:02 AM
JDogEG
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Goose_NC
These situations is where the OEM manuals for that bike are very useful. You can probably find a DVD on eBay with the manuals for that year bike if you cannot find the hard copy manuals.
That's a good idea. Didn't think of that. I have the Haynes manual for it actually or whatever brand name it is. Big hardcover book. I'll look in there. I'm wondering if I can simply transplant all the parts from an Ultra even tho they are fuel injected I believe instead of carbureted like mine.

Old 05-02-2024, 09:17 AM
Hoyt 1911A1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 427 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by JDogEG
That's a good idea. Didn't think of that. I have the Haynes manual for it actually or whatever brand name it is. Big hardcover book. I'll look in there. I'm wondering if I can simply transplant all the parts from an Ultra even tho they are fuel injected I believe instead of carbureted like mine.
If you like the bike I would buy both the parts manual which gives part numbers for everything on the bike
2003 Harley Davidson TOURING MODELS Parts Catalog Manual 99456-03

and the service manual which tells you what to do with said parts:
2003 HARLEY DAVIDSON Touring Model Motorcycle, Service Manual

If I remember correctly cruise control was available on the carbureted models, but I don't know what all parts are required to get it working. One thing I remember is a stock carburetor is a must apparently. The description on the Screamin Eagle carbs back then stated that they did not support cruise control.

The following 2 users liked this post by Hoyt 1911A1:
Goose_NC (05-02-2024), JDogEG (05-02-2024)
Old 05-02-2024, 09:23 AM
JDogEG
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Hoyt 1911A1
If you like the bike I would buy both the parts manual which gives part numbers for everything on the bike
2003 Harley Davidson TOURING MODELS Parts Catalog Manual 99456-03

and the service manual which tells you what to do with said parts:
2003 HARLEY DAVIDSON Touring Model Motorcycle, Service Manual

If I remember correctly cruise control was available on the carbureted models, but I don't know what all parts are required to get it working. One thing I remember is a stock carburetor is a must apparently. The description on the Screamin Eagle carbs back then stated that they did not support cruise control.
That's very helpful. Thank you! I will pick up both of those manuals. I do really like the bike and I've done a few things to it to where I'd like to keep it now. Again I really appreciate the insight.

Old 05-02-2024, 09:26 AM
Harley_ish
Road Master
Received 489 Likes on 323 Posts

Fwiw, The Parts Manual Break-down is available online for Free ... even directly from HD

Quick Reply: 03' EG Standard cruise control