General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No check engine light but codes

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2024, 07:14 PM
Burbur2
Stellar HDF Member
Received 840 Likes on 495 Posts
Default No check engine light but codes

Hi everyone
Can someone please help me out here.
I recently removed my air filter as I did external vent mode but drilling the hole and running wire through backplate. After that I took a bike for a ride and some codes came in after check engine lit up these were mainly due to low battery so I thought no big deal. Today I took a bike for short ride again and as of now bike runs OK no issue no check engine light is on but ai decided to check if any new codes appeared and sure they did. Below is few shots any help would be appreciated.

Old 05-01-2024, 07:45 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,592 Likes on 3,838 Posts

Doesn't sound like you cleared from previous run. I would clear all of them and see what reappears. If there is no light, their not new.

Old 05-01-2024, 09:31 PM
NorthWestern
Club Member
Received 5,610 Likes on 3,071 Posts

Originally Posted by Burbur2
Hi everyone
Can someone please help me out here.
I recently removed my air filter as I did external vent mode but drilling the hole and running wire through backplate.
What wire are you talking about? I thought you had that home-brewed trans cover vent thing for an external vent?

Clear the codes. If they come back, you shorted a wire or cut one, I am just not sure which wire you are describing in that post.

Old 05-01-2024, 10:20 PM
Burbur2
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by NorthWestern
What wire are you talking about? I thought you had that home-brewed trans cover vent thing for an external vent?

Clear the codes. If they come back, you shorted a wire or cut one, I am just not sure which wire you are describing in that post.
Yes I did external vent from trans. From the moment I did that I actually installed clear hose to see if anything is coming out of this trans vent and there is zero residue so seems like for some reason my bike still preferred to puke some oil through heads for some reason.

I was really careful while removing AC backplate and paid attention without any sharp objects so I don't think I messed up any wires as that would be serious and this would probably throw check engine all the time and seems like it is not the case.

I cleared the codes as recommended and took the bike for 30 min run so far so good no new codes so maybe in fact these were some old codes not properly cleared. I will report back if anything reappear.

My bike sat for a while so I am just hoping low battery voltage create this mess with codes in the first place as this was part of initial code that popped out last week (low battery power and no power connection - as I removed the fuse)

I charged battery before today but bike still sat for 4 days so maybe my 2 years old battery is just dying which would be strange but I heard this is sometimes happening to new bikes as who knows what was done to these bikes before we got them.

Below is picture from my trans vent hose clean like a whistle 🤷‍♂️

Old 05-02-2024, 07:05 AM
NorthWestern
Club Member
Received 5,610 Likes on 3,071 Posts

It is clean because it is not working like you had hoped. Either your "check valve" is not opening or is preventing any vapor from escaping, or you put the fitting in the wrong place, or...?

Old 05-02-2024, 08:55 AM
rideonva
Road Master
Received 902 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by Jackie Paper
Doesn't sound like you cleared from previous run. I would clear all of them and see what reappears. If there is no light, their not new.
All codes shown are current which indicated by "C" suffix, for "not new" codes they'd be historical with "h" suffix.

All the "P" codes are related to EFI - did you disconnect anything when you had your backplate off
P2100 - EFI TCA Motor Circuit Open
P1600 - EFI Module Processor internal error / watchdog error
P1511 - EFI power management mode

I'd remove that backplate again and check connectors.

Last edited by rideonva; 05-02-2024 at 09:03 AM.
Old 05-02-2024, 10:44 AM
Burbur2
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by rideonva
All codes shown are current which indicated by "C" suffix, for "not new" codes they'd be historical with "h" suffix.

All the "P" codes are related to EFI - did you disconnect anything when you had your backplate off
P2100 - EFI TCA Motor Circuit Open
P1600 - EFI Module Processor internal error / watchdog error
P1511 - EFI power management mode

I'd remove that backplate again and check connectors.
I didn't disconnect anything while removing the backplate. I found one post indicating same codes due to low battery voltage. Hope this is what happened here but want to ride it some more to see if any check engine light will pop out. Is it possible that code will pop out without engine light coming on?

Old 05-02-2024, 10:46 AM
Burbur2
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by NorthWestern
It is clean because it is not working like you had hoped. Either your "check valve" is not opening or is preventing any vapor from escaping, or you put the fitting in the wrong place, or...?
Hmm this is video where I captured what I did on this vent.I just check this valve and it is operating properly by allowing air to go up the hose when a bit of air pressure is applied so it is not the valve. Wonder if you see any potential issues with my set up based on my video.

Last edited by Burbur2; 05-02-2024 at 11:00 AM.
Old 05-02-2024, 12:12 PM
rideonva
Road Master

Sorry, I've thought you were doing "traditional" breathing and removed air filter back plate.

Old 05-02-2024, 12:15 PM
rideonva
Road Master

Originally Posted by Burbur2
I didn't disconnect anything while removing the backplate. I found one post indicating same codes due to low battery voltage. Hope this is what happened here but want to ride it some more to see if any check engine light will pop out. Is it possible that code will pop out without engine light coming on?
Why ride it some more if you already have codes ? Battery is an easy check, however you have 22, kind of too early for battery to fail. Check terminal connections, grounds.

Quick Reply: No check engine light but codes