Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed! Zipper Performance 587 Cam - 110 motor Dyna Low Rider S - Some notes and ask for help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2024, 01:50 PM
TrudleR
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy Installed! Zipper Performance 587 Cam - 110 motor Dyna Low Rider S - Some notes and ask for help!

Hi all
I recently got my cams swapped. I think by default, the Dyna Low Rider S has the Screamin' Eagle SE-255.

To be honest, I am pretty underwhelmed by its performance... People told me that you cannot expect much, as the default cam in the LRS is already pretty good. The Dyno charts I find onlien suggest a big change in low end performance. This cam should work well with 110 motors though and it doesn't require change of other components (headers, etc).
I'll add some parapgraphs below, so it gets easier to answer questions or express opinions.

1. I didn't really test it fully, like doing full acceleration from 0-60 and checking how quick it is. But it requires more clutch involvement when starting off and in some gears, the max RPMs cap out at 4500 RPM now. Is that normal? I mean, default was like 5500-6000 RPMs if I remember correctly. I know, it's a low end torque cam, maybe this is expected.
2. People already suggested that even having a thundermax, a dyno tune (the rolling bench) is absolutely needed. Do you think I will unleash more power if I do that? I have it on the radar.
3. Is there maybe another thing I need to consider?
4. From a sound perspective, it sounds almost exactly as before. This is hard to judge though, as I had a Red Thunder exhaust before and now a MPRDS one (similar to Bassani).
5. Is it normal, that Thundermax is on constant autotune? I read, that if you do that with other tuners, the engine will run hotter. And mine was definitely hot as **** before the change. Summer hasn't arrived yet, so it's hard to say, but since my Oil pump also got upgraded and together with the heat shields, that might be a problem of the past.

I hope I can post videos soon.

Greetings

Last edited by TrudleR; 05-20-2024 at 02:27 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Gtjerry (05-22-2024)
Old 05-20-2024, 04:17 PM
cobra23
Tourer
Received 402 Likes on 221 Posts

This is from the Zippers web site:

The 587 cam was designed and optimized to be the best bolt-in cam for the Harley-Davidson® CVO® engines. The RS587 cam dramatically increases power and torque across the entire RPM range. Unlike other cams, the RS587 was designed to work with the larger valves and heavier springs that the CVO engines are equipped with

Old 05-21-2024, 04:27 AM
TrudleR
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cobra23
This is from the Zippers web site:

The 587 cam was designed and optimized to be the best bolt-in cam for the Harley-Davidson® CVO® engines. The RS587 cam dramatically increases power and torque across the entire RPM range. Unlike other cams, the RS587 was designed to work with the larger valves and heavier springs that the CVO engines are equipped with
Is your point, that the dyna low rider S 110 motor is different from the 110 CVO engine? Because as far as I am aware, those motors are the same. Apart from labels.
You would be the first person I know to have this opinion.

Old 05-21-2024, 07:01 AM
SwedishMeatball
HDF Community Team
Received 265 Likes on 143 Posts

The SE-255 cams closes intake valve at 25 degrees ABDC, and the RS587 at 35 degrees. This later closing will bleed of quite a bit of corrected compression, so it can be expected to lose some low end torque.
Are you sure the S110 has the same compression ratio as the CVO 110?

The SE-255 is a short duration, short overlap, early closing cam, clearly designed for low rpm power at the expense of max power at high rpms, and possibly also to keep emissions in check. The RS587 is a bit hotter, and I would expect it to give a nice power boost at higher rpms, but it really wants higher static compression to perform at its best.

The fact that your engine seems to run out of steam at 4500 rpm suggests that something is wrong. Did you re tune your efi to the new cams? More air in at high rpms will require more fuel.

Last edited by SwedishMeatball; 05-21-2024 at 07:04 AM.
Old 05-21-2024, 08:04 AM
TrudleR
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SwedishMeatball
The SE-255 cams closes intake valve at 25 degrees ABDC, and the RS587 at 35 degrees. This later closing will bleed of quite a bit of corrected compression, so it can be expected to lose some low end torque.
Are you sure the S110 has the same compression ratio as the CVO 110?

The SE-255 is a short duration, short overlap, early closing cam, clearly designed for low rpm power at the expense of max power at high rpms, and possibly also to keep emissions in check. The RS587 is a bit hotter, and I would expect it to give a nice power boost at higher rpms, but it really wants higher static compression to perform at its best.

The fact that your engine seems to run out of steam at 4500 rpm suggests that something is wrong. Did you re tune your efi to the new cams? More air in at high rpms will require more fuel.
I'm not sure about anything. I'm not a mechanical engineer, I can do oil changes and mount a sissy bar, but that's about it.

I asked around, looked at dyno charts (here on the forums too) and the RS587 was mentioned a lot and held in high regard, so I went for it. The guy doing the job (who does stuff like that often) didn't find it a bad idea to use that cam. I think the compression on my bike is 9.5 and going higher would mean changing headers, but I'm not sure.

Old 05-21-2024, 08:48 AM
SwedishMeatball
HDF Community Team
Received 265 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by TrudleR
I'm not sure about anything. I'm not a mechanical engineer, I can do oil changes and mount a sissy bar, but that's about it.

I asked around, looked at dyno charts (here on the forums too) and the RS587 was mentioned a lot and held in high regard, so I went for it. The guy doing the job (who does stuff like that often) didn't find it a bad idea to use that cam. I think the compression on my bike is 9.5 and going higher would mean changing headers, but I'm not sure.
I looked a bit more at Zippers info about the RS587, they claim:

"This setup will produce approximately 200psi cranking compression in an unmodified CVO engine."

For cams with intake closing of 35 deg in a 110" engine to reach 200 psi ccp, the static compression would need to be around 10.15:1 according to the Big Boyz calculator. The S 110" engine is not even close to that, and as far as I have been able to google, neither does the CVO 110". Something is wrong with the info from Zippers I think.

Old 05-21-2024, 09:57 AM
TrudleR
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SwedishMeatball
I looked a bit more at Zippers info about the RS587, they claim:

"This setup will produce approximately 200psi cranking compression in an unmodified CVO engine."

For cams with intake closing of 35 deg in a 110" engine to reach 200 psi ccp, the static compression would need to be around 10.15:1 according to the Big Boyz calculator. The S 110" engine is not even close to that, and as far as I have been able to google, neither does the CVO 110". Something is wrong with the info from Zippers I think.
I contacted their support and hope they have an answer to the issues. Will post updates! Thanks for the help!

Old 05-21-2024, 10:05 AM
Buelligan666
Stellar HDF Member
Received 788 Likes on 406 Posts

Talk to @Hillsidecycle.com
I have a 12 CVO 110. They suffer from low compression. Plus the valve springs are too heavy. I had hillside rework my heads and install beehive springs. Bumped the compression up to 10.5:1. S&S 570 cams. Hits max torque at about 3200rpm and carries it out to redline. Absolute blast to ride. Unfortunately I think your mechanic and Zippers misled you.

Old 05-21-2024, 02:27 PM
TrudleR
Intermediate

Support told me I should drain the oil and measure the amount. Wtf?

I mean, I can do that, but the oil is new and somehow I wonder if they are just expecting, that there is too much oil in the engine?

Old 05-21-2024, 04:44 PM
Tommy C
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 20,452 Likes on 6,876 Posts

Originally Posted by TrudleR
Support told me I should drain the oil and measure the amount. Wtf?

I mean, I can do that, but the oil is new and somehow I wonder if they are just expecting, that there is too much oil in the engine?
They want to eliminate the possibility of the engine is sumping. It is a completely reasonable request and a good place to start troubleshooting your issue.

Quick Reply: Installed! Zipper Performance 587 Cam - 110 motor Dyna Low Rider S - Some notes and ask for help!