Aussie_87_FLHTC
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 87 FLHTC Gremlins

Hi All
I have recently got my first HD here in Australia 1987 FLHTC
When i first picked up the bike it ran well for 2 x 45minute rides
next day was backfiring and stalling
Replaced battery and ran better however backfire and stall again after 30minutes
Plugs check and plugs were very rich and pulled carby and is totally black inside
found external tank vent hose to be clamped and have now renewed
so now
Cleaned carb and all jets reset mixture
New plugs installed and look to be burning well
bike idles very nice on choke and also without
have sprayed all inlet with carb cleaner and no leaks (that i know of)
Bike rode great for 2 klm then stalled and backfire - removed gas cap waited 5 minutes
bike rode well no issues with cap off on wey back home
I can blow air into the tank through the newly cleared vent hose and when i stop blowing it returns out very quickly
i will be checking Earths and coil tonight however can not seem to find the gremlin
cam sensor widget is in good condition and no sign of melting

if anyone can shed some light would be great

thanks heaps Wayne

Old 05-22-2024, 06:08 AM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,631 Likes on 2,919 Posts

The bike has a circuit breaker under the left side panel for the ignition and can pop off then back on again in a minuet or so and it will click when doing that -nits weak - to me this sounds more ignition related

because the cone trigger widget you called it - it not leaking does not mean it’s healthy - leave the cover off air getting in-can have an affect - but it will still fail but possibly run longer because it’s being cooled

some gremlins are a thing to find but stay at it and dont go throwing money at it in a shotgun blast - stay focused you will hit on it -cool looking ride by the way

The following 2 users liked this post by johnjzjz:
Aussie_87_FLHTC (05-22-2024), Spanners39 (05-22-2024)
Old 05-22-2024, 11:37 AM
t150vej
HDF Community Team
Received 1,743 Likes on 1,137 Posts

That year tank has no vent. The cap is the vent. If the hose you speak of is on the left under the plastic panel, it's simply a drain for the cap/sender compartment. There is a hose nipple on the right side that is blocked from the factory, though someone may have put a hose on it.

Check the cap - On the bottom side, the center, use a hose or carefully by mouth, you should easily be able to draw air to the tank side but not back to the top side.

The fuel cap is not available from HD. If you have auto parts stores there, the Stant brand 10646 or Gates 31646 are direct replacements.They were very common on American cars in the '60s and 70's.

Avoid buying off amazon and be careful on ebay.
================================================== ==================================
Genuine high quality

CHEAP FAKE, LOW QUALITY DO NOT BUY

The following users liked this post:
tar_snake (05-24-2024)
Old 05-22-2024, 07:06 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,804 Likes on 1,384 Posts

The 86 with that same tank is not vented at the cap. There is an air hose that runs down under the vinyl center piece.

However, I think he needs to check out his electrical system with the sticky.

Old 05-22-2024, 07:53 PM
t150vej
HDF Community Team
Received 1,743 Likes on 1,137 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Hess
The 86 with that same tank is not vented at the cap. There is an air hose that runs down under the vinyl center piece.

This is why I was going the tank route."Bike rode great for 2 klm then stalled and backfire - removed gas cap waited 5 minutes
bike rode well no issues with cap off on wey back home"

They used the same cap '80 thru '88 (61083-79) and my '87 is vented thru the cap. The hose on the left goes to an opening in the corner of the closet to drain water or spilled fuel.

There's an 1/8 steel tube connected to the fuel neck. I assume that's the same pipe that runs to the right rear corner under the plastic panel. Mine is hard soldered closed, otherwise any slosh would leak out there, regardless of the cap.

I'll not pull my seat but will try to get a real photo of the rest of it tomorrow. Look at yours again Hess, when you get time.

Yellow = drain
Red = 1/8" steel tube blocked off

Old 05-22-2024, 10:32 PM
Aussie_87_FLHTC
6th Gear

Thanks John

I will check that, i did find my fuel cap vent issue potentially

appreciate your response

cheers
Wayne

Old 05-22-2024, 10:45 PM
Aussie_87_FLHTC
6th Gear

Originally Posted by t150vej
That year tank has no vent. The cap is the vent. If the hose you speak of is on the left under the plastic panel, it's simply a drain for the cap/sender compartment. There is a hose nipple on the right side that is blocked from the factory, though someone may have put a hose on it.

Check the cap - On the bottom side, the center, use a hose or carefully by mouth, you should easily be able to draw air to the tank side but not back to the top side.

The fuel cap is not available from HD. If you have auto parts stores there, the Stant brand 10646 or Gates 31646 are direct replacements.They were very common on American cars in the '60s and 70's.

Avoid buying off amazon and be careful on ebay.
================================================== ==================================
Genuine high quality

CHEAP FAKE, LOW QUALITY DO NOT BUY
Thanks for responding
Very interesting as what you say is as per my bike
Left tube i was aware is overflow
Right nipple has a hose connected and was blocked and i unblocked it !!!!
Last night i checked my gas cap and it was "Sealed" i pressed in the plunger which was tight and i can freely blow air through it
When i get home tonight i will take it for a run and keep an eye on the plunger in the gas cap

Thanks for the part numbers , quick search only comes up with from USA however i will check with an auto shop as Gates is popular here

Cheers

Wayne

Old 05-22-2024, 10:47 PM
Aussie_87_FLHTC
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Dr.Hess

Thanks for responding

i will be checking electrical also

Old 05-22-2024, 10:51 PM
Aussie_87_FLHTC
6th Gear

Originally Posted by t150vej
This is why I was going the tank route."Bike rode great for 2 klm then stalled and backfire - removed gas cap waited 5 minutes
bike rode well no issues with cap off on wey back home"

They used the same cap '80 thru '88 (61083-79) and my '87 is vented thru the cap. The hose on the left goes to an opening in the corner of the closet to drain water or spilled fuel.

There's an 1/8 steel tube connected to the fuel neck. I assume that's the same pipe that runs to the right rear corner under the plastic panel. Mine is hard soldered closed, otherwise any slosh would leak out there, regardless of the cap.

I'll not pull my seat but will try to get a real photo of the rest of it tomorrow. Look at yours again Hess, when you get time.

Yellow = drain
Red = 1/8" steel tube blocked off

That is as per mine
and my cap

Old 05-23-2024, 05:22 AM
Aussiemadness
Cruiser
Received 63 Likes on 22 Posts

Hi mate.
I would look at replacing your fuel cap, even though the one you have is a vented cap it sounds like it is faulty....runs for 45 mins ok but then stops after a 5 min ride.
Would also go through the electrical system, I picked up a 89 FLHTCU a couple of years ago and after I was broken down on the side of road one evening (got home ok) I decided to take her off the road for a few weeks and went through the whole electrical system, replaced relay's...fixed bad earths etc etc.

Dave.

Quick Reply: 87 FLHTC Gremlins