IFCU voice recognition

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2024, 08:47 PM
jwt873
Road Warrior
Received 4,469 Likes on 989 Posts
Default IFCU voice recognition

If you look up Voice Recognition the '24 SG/RG user manual, it says:

Activate Voice Recognition: Use the voice recognition switch.
- Simply say "Seek Up" or "Seek Down" for seeking stations, or "Tune to [frequency]" for tuning to a specific station.
- For selecting a band, just speak "AM" or "FM" into the microphone.

That's it.

There is no mention of any other voice commands. I searched a bit and there doesn't seem to be a definitive list of voice commands for the IFCU anywhere. I had trouble believing those were the only commands in the system, so I went out to the garage, and messed about a bit using the mic on my Cardo headset.

I had Carplay running. One thing I found is that a very quick press of the voice button activated the IFCU voice recognition. A longer press activated Siri in Carplay. (Kind of handy being able to separate the voice recognition features).

Just to add. I have the built in NAV function active so I started off with that. I tried different NAV voice commands and found a few that worked:

Saying "Navigate" gets the system to ask where you want to go. I replied "Harley Davidson" and it opened the built in NAV app and routed me to the local dealership 55 miles away.

I could also say, "Navigate to Harley Davidson" and it would also route me without any questions.

"Find gas stations" or "Locate gas stations" would bring up a list of nearby stations. This also worked for restaurants and I imagine other POI's.

"Zoom in" would zoom the map in. And logically, "Zoom out" would zoom out. It seems there are seven levels of zoom. 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 18, 22. But the zoom didn't always follow the progression. Zoom in from 8 would zoom to 10, another "zoom in" command would zoom to 12, one more "zoom in" would go back to 8..

I could select a zoom level: "Set map to level 10" But this was very flaky. It worked sometimes but not always.

I have a USB thumb drive plugged in to the bike's USB pigtail. It has music on it in the form of playlists. When in the USB mode, I could say "Show Playlists" and a list would appear. Each one was numbered and I was prompted to say the number of the playlist I wanted. That brought up the album with the first song playing. This also works with "Show Artists", "Show songs", etc.

I tried accessing the options in Settings. Audio Routing, Display, Ride Modes etc. But nothing works there. For instance, I tried to change the display, but got a message back saying "I can't do that".

As mentioned, in the user manual it says to say "FM" for the FM tuner and "AM" for the AM tuner. This did not work for me. The system couldn't understand these commands.

There may be more, but I got tired of playing If I do find any more, I'll add them.

The following users liked this post:
South Jersey Dave (05-23-2024)
Old 05-22-2024, 09:16 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,080 Likes on 1,772 Posts

Did you try “fix the bugs” so things actually work as they were designed to? Asking for a friend

The following 2 users liked this post by dawg:
BrandonSmith (05-23-2024), South Jersey Dave (05-23-2024)
Old 05-22-2024, 10:18 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,851 Likes on 4,573 Posts

all this new tech for riding motorcycles..sheesh

Old 05-23-2024, 08:12 AM
jwt873
Road Warrior
Received 4,469 Likes on 989 Posts

Originally Posted by dawg
Did you try “fix the bugs” so things actually work as they were designed to? Asking for a friend
Yea, I asked it to stop Carplay from cutting out occasionally.. But no go..

One more thing I forgot to mention. If you go into 'Audio settings' and route 'Music' to the speakers and 'Prompts' to the headset, the music plays normally and non-stop out the speakers while you're conversing with the IFCU. And with NAV prompts, the turns etc come out of the helmet speakers while the fairing speakers play normally.