Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clearing codes after changing oil pressure sensor swi5ch

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2024, 10:34 AM
Sp0873
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Clearing codes after changing oil pressure sensor swi5ch

Hello,

I just changed my oil pressure sending unit. I keep getting codes and they won't clear. Anyone know what may be causing this? Could a bent pin cause this?

Old 05-23-2024, 02:38 PM
predatornut
Tourer
Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

What codes?

Old 05-23-2024, 04:30 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,715 Likes on 4,156 Posts

Originally Posted by Sp0873

Hello,

I just changed my oil pressure sending unit. I keep getting codes and they won't clear. Anyone know what may be causing this? Could a bent pin cause this?
Originally Posted by predatornut

What codes?

The codes are somewhat important to hazard an opinion/recommendation... Also, what year/model Harley we are talking about....

Does the check oil light function as it should...?

Old 05-24-2024, 12:10 PM
Sp0873
2nd Gear

I believe its P0522 which is low oil pressure or a bad sending unit.

it's a 17 FLHX

The following users liked this post:
hattitude (05-24-2024)
Old 05-24-2024, 12:37 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member

I believe its P0522 which is low oil pressure or a bad sending unit.

it's a 17 FLHX

That helps a lot...

if you don't have an increase of valve train (lifter & rocker) noise, it is most likely not a catastrophic loss of oil pressure, and probably the oil pressure sending unit....

However, you just replaced one. Why did you just replace the original one...?

You now have two oil pressure senders telling you there is at least an intermittent low oil pressure situation.

I would first use an oil pressure gauge to confirm it's not a problem with the actual oil pressure.

After confirming oil pressure is good, I'd check the complete length of the sensor cable,including connectors for corrosion or bad pins, looking for a possible problem.

I don't know off the top of my head, but I would also check both sensors. While rare, it is possible to get a bad sensor out of the box....

Good luck and let us know what you find...

Last edited by hattitude; 05-24-2024 at 12:39 PM.
Old 05-25-2024, 08:45 AM
Sp0873
2nd Gear

The reason I replaced the original one was because I started getting that same code and I was told to replace the sending unit. I think what you said about bent connectors might be the problem

One other question, if the cable is corroded or bad, it doesn't look like an easy fix to replace it. Has anyone ever had to replace that cable? If so, how did you do it?

Last edited by Sp0873; 05-25-2024 at 08:49 AM.
Old 05-25-2024, 09:29 AM
memphisharley
Road Warrior

Received 437 Likes on 334 Posts

The reason I replaced the original one was because I started getting that same code and I was told to replace the sending unit. I think what you said about bent connectors might be the problem

One other question, if the cable is corroded or bad, it doesn't look like an easy fix to replace it. Has anyone ever had to replace that cable? If so, how did you do it?
so..you started getting the code but no valve train noise and you replaced the sensor and no changes.

Old 05-25-2024, 11:04 AM
predatornut
Tourer
Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

I started getting erratic pressure readings, it wound up being a broken wire for the sending unit. I spliced in a new slightly longer piece of wire.

Old 05-25-2024, 11:30 AM
Sp0873
2nd Gear

Yes. I honestly had some issues when I got the new sender. I didn't realize how it had to be lined up and I didn't plug it correctly at first. I think I either damaged the sender or the wire. Not really sure. I feel dumb for what happened.

The following users liked this post:
hattitude (05-25-2024)
Old 05-25-2024, 05:57 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member

Yes. I honestly had some issues when I got the new sender. I didn't realize how it had to be lined up and I didn't plug it correctly at first. I think I either damaged the sender or the wire. Not really sure. I feel dumb for what happened.

We all have done "dum" things, me more than most...

Based on your reply above, you know where to start, and what to look for.

As far as corroded cables or connectors, I will always try to clean them prior to replacing them, unless they are an easy replacement, and the corrosion is severe. A wire brush, emory cloth and/or sand paper, and an electrical contact spray are your friends here. And never forget how well an ink eraser is at cleaning metal contacts... That is if they still make them..

If actually damaged (other than a bent pin you could try moving back in place) there is no choice but replacement. That can be a pain in the butt, but needs to be done..

Quick Reply: Clearing codes after changing oil pressure sensor swi5ch