Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changed Out the Fuel Injectors, Now It Won't Even Crank!

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2024, 04:42 PM
Dr. Frankenstein
Intermediate
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Changed Out the Fuel Injectors, Now It Won't Even Crank!

I have a 2002 FLHRI Road King, which wouldn't start; it would Crank, but no start. I consulted the Harley dealer in Richmond for a problem with the fob and security alarm, which I/we figured out, but when I mentioned the No Start problem they (and I) thought it might be the fuel injectors. The bike has sat for about five years, and it cranked like a Champ but wouldn't fire, so I decided to change the injectors out on general principles. I got 'em out and they were indeed filthy from what I could see, so I just went ahead and changed them. I got everything put back where it should be - all the connectors under the tank, etc - but when I went to start it (in Neutral) nothing happened. Now, be advised I have also taken off the clutch perch and lever, which were broken - a new one is on the way - and the battery was at 12.3 volts - so (1) did I screw something up; (2) was the battery too low to crank the starter, and (3) even in Neutral does the clutch need to be pulled in? I didn't mess with anything else...I of course had to take off the horn mount so unscrewed that from its mounts, and Did replace the ground wire I found under the right-side horn mount bolt - but everything else I put back where I found it, and I did not mess with the Induction Module Assembly. Any ideas...?

Old 05-23-2024, 11:25 PM
MRFREEZE57
Grand HDF Member
Received 4,344 Likes on 1,999 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Frankenstein
I have a 2002 FLHRI Road King, which wouldn't start; it would Crank, but no start. I consulted the Harley dealer in Richmond for a problem with the fob and security alarm, which I/we figured out, but when I mentioned the No Start problem they (and I) thought it might be the fuel injectors. The bike has sat for about five years, and it cranked like a Champ but wouldn't fire, so I decided to change the injectors out on general principles. I got 'em out and they were indeed filthy from what I could see, so I just went ahead and changed them. I got everything put back where it should be - all the connectors under the tank, etc - but when I went to start it (in Neutral) nothing happened. Now, be advised I have also taken off the clutch perch and lever, which were broken - a new one is on the way - and the battery was at 12.3 volts - so (1) did I screw something up; (2) was the battery too low to crank the starter, and (3) even in Neutral does the clutch need to be pulled in? I didn't mess with anything else...I of course had to take off the horn mount so unscrewed that from its mounts, and Did replace the ground wire I found under the right-side horn mount bolt - but everything else I put back where I found it, and I did not mess with the Induction Module Assembly. Any ideas...?
One way to determine if it is due to no fuel, if the bike does crank then remove the air cleaner and while cranking the bike get a spray bottle with some fresh gas and spray in the intake. If it wants to fire then you know your problem is due to no fuel to the cylinders.

The following 2 users liked this post by MRFREEZE57:
07UltraGuy (05-31-2024), armacc (05-24-2024)
Old 05-24-2024, 06:08 AM
HD_noobie
Road Captain
Received 485 Likes on 259 Posts

I have a 2002 FLHRI Road King, which wouldn't start; it would Crank, but no start. I consulted the Harley dealer in Richmond for a problem with the fob and security alarm, which I/we figured out,
This is where I would look first.

Old 05-24-2024, 10:25 AM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,515 Likes on 1,613 Posts

If Nothing happens at all, then I would remove the spark plugs and raise the rear tire off the ground. Once the rear tire is up then put the bike in 5th gear and turn the tire, this should turn the engine over to see if its free. If the engine turns freely, then try the starter again. If still nothing then you have undone something electrical. You can remove the small wire from the starter and jump the terminal to the main post on the starter and that will by pass the electrical system and spin the engine over to check that too.

Old 05-24-2024, 10:57 AM
Dr. Frankenstein
Intermediate

So, even with the clutch lever not on the bike, it should start, yes...? It's currently in Neutral, I can roll it, and I just put a freshly charged battery in it today - lights come on, the horn works, etc - but I hit the starter button and Nothing. I'll try that '5th gear' thing and see what happens.

Old 05-24-2024, 12:16 PM
KK0G
Cruiser
Received 178 Likes on 91 Posts

Stop and take a deep breath, let's deal with one problem at a time. Don't worry about the no start condition yet, the immediate problem is a no crank condition. First of all 12.3 volts is very low, charge the battery. Second, is the kill switch in the run position? It cranked before you worked on it and now after you worked on it, it doesn't crank correct? If so it's an extremely high likelihood that it's because of something you did so back over all your work to see what you damaged, installed incorrectly, forgot to hook up, etc.

The following users liked this post:
07UltraGuy (05-31-2024)
Old 05-24-2024, 09:36 PM
Dr. Frankenstein
Intermediate

Yes, I will go back over what I did - haven't had a chance yet, but I could have missed something. "It cranked before you worked on it and now after you worked on it, it doesn't crank correct?" Correct. And yes, when I tried to start it after I replaced the injectors I had the kill switch in the Run position with the tank switch 'On" and got nothing. It lights up, but won't crank. Turn signals work, lights work, horn works, just no fire.

Does the 2002 Road King have a safety in the clutch lever that prevents the bike from starting if the clutch is not pulled in? My '78 KZ650B is like that, and on my XV700 there's three of 'em! This is my first Harley, so I'm unsure of what's what. I have another clutch lever on the way to fix the broken one that was on there when I got the bike, that's why I'm wondering. The bike is currently in Neutral, although the Neutral light doesn't light up. This whole 'fob business' is annoying too, and yes I have a fresh 2032 battery in that as well...I was wondering if part of the problem may be because I don't have the PIN for it, although the bike has not yet asked for it, and I have no way of getting it because the previous owner is dead. I've tried to change it using directions both on YouTube and in the manual but haven't been able to. I do have both the 2002 HD shop manual for touring bikes and the electrical book too, with an owner's manual on the way. My forte' is classic Japanese bikes from the 60's through the 80's, so this Harley is a whole new kettle of fish for me. It's got to be something I missed - but if it's not, I will have NO idea.

Last edited by Dr. Frankenstein; 05-24-2024 at 09:40 PM.
Old 05-24-2024, 10:23 PM
ChromeJunkie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,023 Likes on 1,748 Posts

Do you have the fob? On the pre 2007s you have to manually set the security. Press the button twice in succession to disable the security and if the blinkers flash once, the security is disabled. Then try to start it.

Old 05-25-2024, 02:41 AM
HD_noobie
Road Captain
Received 485 Likes on 259 Posts

I consulted the Harley dealer in Richmond for a problem with the fob and security alarm, which I/we figured out,
What was the problem? and what did you figure out?
I also believe if the neutral light inst lit its not going to turn over.

Old 05-25-2024, 05:17 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,371 Likes on 899 Posts

Start with basics.

Is the kill switch in the run position?

Does it crank when jump started?

Quick Reply: Changed Out the Fuel Injectors, Now It Won't Even Crank!