Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clip on bars on the Rock!

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 07:09 PM
Alain
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Lololol. I love this place!

Old 11-12-2014, 07:59 PM
*Flea*
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With as long as this project is taking, it should be asked to be made a Sticky. Otherwise, it's going to fall to Page 1,325,569 by the time it's completed.

Old 11-14-2014, 09:04 AM
Alain
Elite HDF Member

Just took another step towards completion.

Ordered moto style grips and bar end mirror from speed dealer customs. Which I have to say were awesome in communicating with me. I had a bunch of questions before I ordered and they were answered by a dude over there named Caleb. Let's see how good their product looks when it gets here next week.

Here is a pic of the grips

Attached Thumbnails Clip on bars on the Rock!-image.jpg  
Old 11-14-2014, 09:06 AM
Alain
Elite HDF Member

And the mirror. Got these with the machined insert to match the wheels and the RSD regulator levers.

Attached Thumbnails Clip on bars on the Rock!-image.jpg  
Old 11-14-2014, 12:15 PM
24v
Elite HDF Member
Received 700 Likes on 381 Posts

Blah Blah Blah. More pictures, less words.

Old 11-14-2014, 03:53 PM
Alain
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by 24v
Blah Blah Blah. More pictures, less words.
Lolol.

Just took the apes off the bike completely, now only the clip ons are on the bike. Let me tell you how weird the bike looked to me at first cause I've had apes on the bike for 4+ years.

Maybe the fact that the gas tank is off the bike contributed to that. After a little while though the look sunk in and I'm digging it big time.

I had to finagle the wiring for the controls.... I didn't have the hand controls mounted as far in on the bars as I was supposed to so I had about a quarter of an inch of extra length on the wiring harness. After 30 minutes of finagling I managed to work some magic with a zip tie so I'm good to go. Checked all the buttons on the controls and everything works the way it's supposed to ..... The horn seems to be louder for some reason lol.

Right now I am leaning towards keeping the jockey shift with the clip ons. Originally I was going with a hand clutch all the way. But I sat on the bike and working the jockey didn't seem bad at all. Gonna ride a couple of times with the jockey before I make up my mind completely.

Old 11-14-2014, 05:01 PM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Alain
Just took another step towards completion.

Ordered moto style grips and bar end mirror from speed dealer customs. Which I have to say were awesome in communicating with me. I had a bunch of questions before I ordered and they were answered by a dude over there named Caleb. Let's see how good their product looks when it gets here next week.
Next week? Again? I hope you get your clipons installed before most of us have passed on.

Old 11-14-2014, 09:24 PM
Hawaii-Five-Jo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Don't your bars have to hollow for you to use bar ends? Didn't you say the clip on bars were a solid piece?

Old 11-15-2014, 06:11 AM
Alain
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Hawaii-Five-Jo
Don't your bars have to hollow for you to use bar ends? Didn't you say the clip on bars were a solid piece?
I also thought the bars needed to be hollow in order for me to use bar end mirrors. Mine are machined out of a solid piece of metal stock but they have a threaded hole on the end.

I reached out to Speed Dealer Customs and made mention of the bars being solid with threaded holes on the ends. I even sent them a couple of pictures.

According to the dude I was dealing with over there I will be able to install the mirrors with just the set screw they provide with the kit. Which by coincidence is exactly the same size as the threaded hole in my bars).

We will wait and see. I only bought one mirror cause I wanna see first how it looks and how well it mounts. If it fits good then ill get the other one, they have free shipping anyways.

Old 11-15-2014, 07:56 AM
Branner
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Alain, Speed Dealer is great, I have their grips and foot pegs on my bike. Good stuff.

Quick Reply: Clip on bars on the Rock!