Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

at what temp is it too cold to ride, for you?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2015, 10:43 AM
Davidson Harley
Tourer
Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

Well I'm sittin here in North Central Ohio--and I think I have found my too cold to ride. Its sunny and 4 degrees with a feel like wind chill of -11. I do not believe I'll take either bike out today---damn it! Last ride was day after Christmas wife and I put 211 miles on the Dresser in 38 degree weather--and it was not bad at all-until on the way home when the sun started going down---not sure what the temp was---but it was pretty damn chilly

Old 01-10-2015, 12:06 PM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Here's the chart.

45 is about my limit but the roads need to be clear of salt / sand too. Last year, 2013 / 2014, there was 5 straight months of cold and snow with no let up.

During the winter this year I watch some great video of some of my summertime rides. I crank up my favorite tunes, kick back and relive the memories.

Old 01-10-2015, 12:30 PM
HDmikie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 112 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyC

45 is about my limit but the roads need to be clear of salt / sand too. Last year, 2013 / 2014, there was 5 straight months of cold and snow with no let up.

During the winter this year I watch some great video of some of my summertime rides. I crank up my favorite tunes, kick back and relive the memories.
That's interesting how the chart shows hot temps get even hotter at higher speeds.

Old 01-10-2015, 05:45 PM
KYfishtail
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I experimented today and rode about 25 miles at 27 degrees. Long underwear, full face, balaclava, MC jacket and pants. I was fine except for a little ice cream headache right at the end. Joe Rocket Sub Zero gloves are not meant for sub zero Celsius.

Old 01-10-2015, 05:53 PM
TucAzRider
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As long as it is not snowing and there is no ice, I am OK with cold riding.. However I would rather have 80 degrees.. :-)

Old 01-10-2015, 06:30 PM
68 XLCH
Road Warrior
Received 149 Likes on 129 Posts

There is actually a new formula for computing wind chill. NOAA using scientific findings, modeling, computers, blah, blah, blah.

http://ggweather.com/windchill.htm

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/winter/windchill.shtml

Use the top link to look at both charts to see the comparison, then it is up to you. Because there is a new formula doesn't change how cold you will feel, but might help your planning.

The second link is NOAA, additional information if you are really that interested.

Old calculation striking difference, for example, old 40 degrees, 40 mph, = 10 degrees.

New calculation 40 degrees, 40 mph = 27 degrees.

40 degrees is my limit, no heated equipment and i am warm in the 30's, except for my hands so, 40 degrees, riding the back country roads, 40 mph i can stay out a couple of hours and enjoy it, the sun always helps.

Last edited by 68 XLCH; 01-10-2015 at 11:58 PM.
Old 01-12-2015, 08:38 AM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Received 689 Likes on 412 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldtop Dude
50s for me .............)
That's only about 6 months out of the year - depending on where you live.

Maybe if I only spend $500 for a bike that might justify the cost, but not $35K for only half a year. Same for a boat or snowmobile - to for me.

Only snow or ice on the road will keep me from riding. Of course riding a TG takes a lot of nervousness out of the equation.

Also using S100 gives me piece of mind about the salt.

Whatever you do is all that matters.......who cares what others think.

Old 01-12-2015, 01:22 PM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The new charts are at lot more realistic by not considering windchill ranges at high temps.

Of course if your driving on a windy day, be it with the wind or against the wind, who really knows what the impact is?

Old 01-12-2015, 10:03 PM
Goldtop Dude
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GARY DYER
That's only about 6 months out of the year - depending on where you live. Maybe if I only spend $500 for a bike that might justify the cost, but not $35K for only half a year. Same for a boat or snowmobile - to for me. Only snow or ice on the road will keep me from riding. Of course riding a TG takes a lot of nervousness out of the equation. Also using S100 gives me piece of mind about the salt. Whatever you do is all that matters.......who cares what others think.

I'm truly diggin my Slim and play music on the off months ....... No regrets !

Old 01-13-2015, 08:46 AM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Received 689 Likes on 412 Posts

As long as you're happy, that's all that counts.

I wouldn't be happy thinking I have a $35K vehicle sitting in the garage that I can't ride.

I guess that could be said about a Corvette, boat or snowmobile too. Even though I did drive my Vette all year round, I wouldn't own a boat or snowmobile because you can only use it a few months out of the year.

Quick Reply: at what temp is it too cold to ride, for you?