Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

at what temp is it too cold to ride, for you?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2014, 08:25 AM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

When I said 40F, that was with my coat and gloves, T-shirts, jeans ,boots. Nothing I have is heated or warmed. At 57 I am finally starting to consider the possibility of a pair of chaps. Any input, advice?

Old 11-01-2014, 09:00 AM
HDmikie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 112 Likes on 88 Posts

Here in Minnesota I hear about all these guys that ride year round, but I seldom ever see any bikes on the road in January or February and I drive many miles for work so I'm out there on the roads a lot. I did see one Goldwing last January but that's it.

Myself, at 61 I don't need to prove anything. If a 50 degree day comes along and the roads are dry I'll go for a ride. Otherwise the Harley is covered in the garage from mid November until early April. Hence, all of the above is why we are moving to Florida next Spring when I retire.

Old 11-01-2014, 09:22 AM
GibT
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Living in SoCal it doesn't get that cold in the winter. It may start out in the low 40s but usually warms up into the 70s by mid day. I would say 40s would be my limit.

Old 11-01-2014, 09:23 AM
ahle926
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I rode to work today and the temp was 33 with "real feel" 23. It's only about a 15 minute ride to work though. Definitely buying some chaps though! I've been here about 30 minutes and my legs are still cold! lol

Old 11-01-2014, 09:28 AM
pat.h
Cruiser

In ct, ice and salted roads are the end of the season. Ice because of the obvious. Here in ct it can bounce every Day from below 32 to above, causing snow to melt then refreez. You cant trust any roads that are not main routes. Now that brings the salt into play. One year regardless of the temp, i rode. Bike got salt on it. Then wether went down hill, couldnt wash it. When spring came she got the best wash ever and i was horrified to experience first hand what salt can do as far as pitting metal, rusting under the edges of painted parts, tarnishing. Ugh the list.

In the end. Its a balance of safety, quality of gear, and how hard you worked for your wheels.

Old 11-01-2014, 12:00 PM
FurryOne
Road Master
Received 127 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by ahle926
I rode to work today and the temp was 33 with "real feel" 23. It's only about a 15 minute ride to work though. Definitely buying some chaps though! I've been here about 30 minutes and my legs are still cold! lol
I know the feeling. I just bought some chaps, but my ride to work is only 5 miles, so I probably won't wear them for such a short hop. They don't seem to make Levis as thick as they used to, which doesn't help. We were below 30 one day this week. Of course, I really feel good about finally wiring up the fan to my oil cooler just in time for Winter.

Old 11-01-2014, 03:05 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,954 Likes on 2,306 Posts

I used to ride down to the low 30's with layers...but was still cold. The wife would not ride below the high 50's.

A couple of years ago we got some heated jacket liners. Now, even in the 20's both of us are comfortable.

Yesterday it was in the low 40's when I rode home from the shop on the Heritage...was toasty warm.

Gear Up & Ride in! DK Custom 4th Annual Open House, June 8th. 🏍️ Click HERE For The Lowdown.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 11-01-2014, 03:09 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,954 Likes on 2,306 Posts

Originally Posted by tbonetony06
When I said 40F, that was with my coat and gloves, T-shirts, jeans ,boots. Nothing I have is heated or warmed. At 57 I am finally starting to consider the possibility of a pair of chaps. Any input, advice?
Tony, I used to wear chaps to cut the wind when it was cold(with thermals and blue jeans below them).

Since getting the heated jacket liner I have not worn my chaps one time. Keeping my core warm, I can feel that it is cold on my legs, but my legs don't actually get cold.

Jacket liner does not cost a lot more than chaps, much easier to put on, and far more comfortable in the cold.

Old 11-01-2014, 03:16 PM
F117ewo
Cruiser

I will ride down to about 37F. Chaps, thick leather jacket w/liner, balaclava, scarf, and a 3/4 helmet keep me reasonably warm. The fingers are the first thing to get cold. I need a new set of winter gloves, but haven't found any that I like.

Jake

Old 11-01-2014, 06:35 PM
kizzletruck
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well.. Let's see. I didn't have a car for a year and a half after I bought my house.. Rode every day - rain, snow, sleet, below zero. Didn't matter, I had to get to work. I think the worst was probably riding through 6+" of snow on the road. At that point it is plain nuts. Just have to stay in the ruts from other cars on the road. Temperatures, I'm sure at times were well below zero. Seems like kind of the norm where I live from about late December until mid February (although last year it lasted pretty much all winter).

Last night we hit about 17 degrees or so. Winter is definitely on the doorstep.

Quick Reply: at what temp is it too cold to ride, for you?