Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just got my 2015 Breakout back from shop with some goodies,but they scratched my tank

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 01:27 PM
BigMike
Club Member
Received 1,570 Likes on 674 Posts

Exactly the reason I'm glad that I'm able to ALL of my own work. Except I have to take my bike in to get a new battery under warranty, but I'll be watching them like a hawk.

Old 12-02-2014, 01:35 PM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

I will be watching to see how this is resolved.

Old 12-02-2014, 01:48 PM
stal94gt
Road Master
Received 95 Likes on 88 Posts

I hate giving my bike up to get work done. Most places have not figured out that a steam cleaner removes emblems and relecters easily without leaving glue are scratches.

Old 12-02-2014, 01:51 PM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I Always do my own work. Not that I have ever had reason to not trust the tech and my local dealer. I have a huge investment in tools and enjoy the DIY thing. My bike has been to the dealer once for a ABS reset after I swapped handle bars and lines.

Originally Posted by BigMike
Exactly the reason I'm glad that I'm able to ALL of my own work. Except I have to take my bike in to get a new battery under warranty, but I'll be watching them like a hawk.
Damn Mike that was a short lived battery. Glad warranty is covering it.

Old 12-02-2014, 01:53 PM
mseymour3
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can't tell how scratched or dull and hazy the paint is from the pictures. But I removed my own emblems and there was a circular area right under where each emblem was that was dull and lightly scratched looking. I was very careful removing both and used a hairdryer to heat the adhesive and used fishing line to slowly work back and forth until they came off. I never put the fishing line all the way to the tank to make sure I didn't scratch it. Still had the small scratches and looked like a dull circle.

I used goo gone and a couple different rags and got all the leftover residue off and then went thru a full cleaning, clay bar, scratch-x, wax and even waxed/polished/buffed 2-3 times before those circles were gone.

Not taking the dealers side at all. Just hard to tell from the pictures how bad it is and it might be easier to take care of yourself rather than try to get someone who already messed it up or hurried it once to fix it.

Michael

Last edited by mseymour3; 12-02-2014 at 01:59 PM.
Old 12-02-2014, 02:01 PM
stal94gt
Road Master
Received 95 Likes on 88 Posts

http://youtu.be/FFJihtY2ytg
Diy emblem removal the clean easy way

Last edited by stal94gt; 12-02-2014 at 02:05 PM.
Old 12-02-2014, 02:27 PM
mmcbeat
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm probably the odd man out, but I like it better with the emblems. If you put stock or something else you might like would they cover the scratch? I know, not the best solution but it the dealer doesn't make it good, an emblem might be better than looking at a scratch.

Old 12-02-2014, 03:06 PM
trainedkilla
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I do not let anyone touch my bike unless it is something I absolutely can't do.

I have youtube and tools...

Old 12-02-2014, 04:45 PM
DynaJ
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

First off your bike looks so much better with out the emblems, I can tell you what they are gonna do they are going to tell you to leave the bike so they can wax buff, wax buff, wax buff a thousand times to get that swirl out and then they will give you a free oil change and a 50.00 gift certificate for the mistake that's really what they are trained in.... One good thing about Harley paint is it has a crap load of clear on it so you can polish the crap out of these things before you get to the base coat..I would bet you that you will never get a new tank from them...

Old 12-02-2014, 06:15 PM
jcsshane
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

OK - So it's been 5 days. If it was my bike it would have been back in the shop 4 days ago. So what's happening?

Quick Reply: Just got my 2015 Breakout back from shop with some goodies,but they scratched my tank