Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FXSB Breakout Upgrade DIY: Fork Suspension / Tires / Brake -Part numbers, tools, tips

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 04:24 PM
brizi2003
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017 Breakout

Hi LA Dog,

Do these mods apply to the 2017 breakout model too?

i.e.
Forks
Pulleys
Tyres

Cheers

Brian

Old 08-14-2017, 12:40 AM
lucky2be
Stage IV

Hey guys! Long time lurker and finally after a long "battle" with the wife Im finally getting my second bike. The next week or so, with that being said is all this applicable to the CVO line, the bike is a 2016 CVO with 167miles. On another note I really hate that they changed the tire of the front end, and was wondering if for any reason there will be a problem to use just regular BO turbine wheels on it. My apologies if thats ridiculous. So many questions thanks in advance guys!

Old 08-29-2017, 01:11 AM
Odinbreakout9
Advanced
Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

*update for the EBC pads on the 2015 up fa296hh

I read this entire thread and there were no updates. Either way, I just put these on mine and the braking is significantly improved. I run Avon Cobras and have for years. Love everything about them (even if they are heavier).

I installed the progressive springs a while back. First impression was "WOW". They are certainly significantly better than stock. However, it doesn't take long to realize the short comings. I will be doing the ricor/racetech upgrade as well. Hoping to finally get that feel I expect.

Old 08-30-2017, 06:52 PM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,934 Likes on 1,111 Posts

Originally Posted by lucky2be
Hey guys! Long time lurker and finally after a long "battle" with the wife Im finally getting my second bike. The next week or so, with that being said is all this applicable to the CVO line, the bike is a 2016 CVO with 167miles. On another note I really hate that they changed the tire of the front end, and was wondering if for any reason there will be a problem to use just regular BO turbine wheels on it. My apologies if thats ridiculous. So many questions thanks in advance guys!
I'm not totally familiar with the differences between the /16 CVO and earlier FXSB's but IF the 2016 CVO forks are longer, to make up for the small wheel, and you install a 21" wheel, you may wish to consider the SuperBrace fork brace as a post 21" add on. IMHO you may benefit from the brace anyway.

Your forks flex. You won't realize that unless some handling anomaly develops, but they do. The longer the forks + trail, the more the flex. The brace stops this.

After extending the forks on my /14 FXSB by 2", I could notice a slight front wheel wiggle had developed under certain circumstances. It wasn't often. It was just a small wiggle, very minor and very temporary when it happened, but it was there. I put the brace on to eliminate the wiggle and then realized how lazy my front end had always been up to that point.

I expect with a larger front wheel, you'll also have a fender adjustment to make, but you've already thought of that no doubt.

One more thing; if the fork situation is as I've suspected, and you replace the wheel, you're gonna "love" the extra touch of clearance you get. You may need to compensate your kickstand for it though:

It may well be that you won't need the jiffy stand mod with your new wheel. I added 2" to my forks so did. Just pointing out the possibility.

Hope this helps.

The following users liked this post:
lucky2be (08-30-2017)
Old 08-31-2017, 12:23 AM
EagleRay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 96 Posts

The 2016 CVO Breakout is the Prostreet. This uses a fork setup completely different from the former/standard BOs. The Prostreet Breakout has an upside-down fork, basically the same the VRods used before. This being said I honestly doubt that the standard 21" front wheel can be used with that fork. It may be possible, though. Might be only depending on how much dough you're willing to spend for this mod.

The rear wheel is the same as on the standard BO, I guess.

Old 09-02-2017, 06:50 AM
RBenj
Stage I

I have the same bike, 2016 pro street breakout in black. The regular breakout front wheel will not work due to the fact that the prostreet comes with dual disc front brakes and the non cvo has a single disc. I'm sure if you contact performance machine or another aftermarket wheel manufacturer they can produce a larger front wheel for it, which is what I plan to do once I have the funds.

As for the forks, I've been wondering the same thing about upgrading the springs. Like the non cvo I get quite a bit of nose dive under what I feel is normal braking and also drag the crap out of the forward control pegs, even though I feel I have more lean angle available while riding. Most of this I can attribute to my riding style, coming from a Gsxr-1000 to this bike took some getting used to. Good luck and hopefully someone has a solution for the forks soon.

Old 09-02-2017, 07:16 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,934 Likes on 1,111 Posts

Originally Posted by RBenj
I have the same bike, 2016 pro street breakout in black. The regular breakout front wheel will not work due to the fact that the prostreet comes with dual disc front brakes and the non cvo has a single disc. I'm sure if you contact performance machine or another aftermarket wheel manufacturer they can produce a larger front wheel for it, which is what I plan to do once I have the funds.

As for the forks, I've been wondering the same thing about upgrading the springs. Like the non cvo I get quite a bit of nose dive under what I feel is normal braking and also drag the crap out of the forward control pegs, even though I feel I have more lean angle available while riding. Most of this I can attribute to my riding style, coming from a Gsxr-1000 to this bike took some getting used to. Good luck and hopefully someone has a solution for the forks soon.
These:

https://www.denniskirk.com/cycle-vis...akout-fxsb.mmy

,,,are an excellent quality easy install and have been totally problem free for me for months of some pothole laced riding. Dated warnings about "slugs" have been generally unfounded. The MoCo actually has had factory designs using similar parts.

You'll also need these:

http://www.bungking.com/kickstand-lift-block/

,,which are a bit of a pain to install owing to the hardness of the jiffy stand steel.

The suspension upgrade you are contemplating is really the way to go though, if you can. "Big improvement".

Old 09-04-2017, 08:55 PM
lucky2be
Stage IV

Well after a few PM's from people and the helpful replies I recieved from my couple posts I went with a stock 17, and added what I wanted to it from the get go. So I did get my pirellis recommended here and plan on doing the fork upgrade over winter as long as I dont chicken out. I worked the stage5 into the initial deal and it'll go in over the winter for that. Im wondering if anyone that runs the nightdragons could recommend me a good pressure for the front and back its felt pretty stiff with my buck80 on there. Side note Damn brothers I love this bike!

Old 09-18-2017, 09:09 PM
Wayne_Wilson
1st Gear

Does anyone know if all risers bolt patterns are the same on the top clamps? I would like to raise and pull back my 2017 Breakout handlebars but there is very little if any information I'm able to find out on the web.

Old 09-18-2017, 09:13 PM
Wayne_Wilson
1st Gear

Also
I just switch out the rear 240 with the
Michilen Comeander II. I have to say I'm very, very pleased with this tire so far. Very nice balance, ride and grip with this one.

Quick Reply: FXSB Breakout Upgrade DIY: Fork Suspension / Tires / Brake -Part numbers, tools, tips