Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

windshield on a breakout?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 06:25 AM
matte
Stellar HDF Member
Received 790 Likes on 433 Posts

Any opinions on the best looking/functional windshield for a breakout? I've never had a bike with one, but after the long trip to sd for Sturgis, I'm heavily considering it. That our a toy hauler. I've looked around here and seen some ideas. Just getting some opinions.

Just to add to....two options I was considering were the memphis shades gauntlet or cafe fairings.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 08-11-2015 at 09:10 AM.
Old 08-11-2015, 08:07 AM
Valdemar
Tourer
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Breakout with windshield...
:-S :-S :-S

Old 08-11-2015, 09:15 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,071 Likes on 2,555 Posts

Some bikes look natural with wimp-shields...that just cracks me up...but on a Breakout? Kind of like a Corvette with 26" wheels. But, it's your bike, so I say go for it. I hope you find one that fits your needs.

Old 08-11-2015, 09:37 AM
fake
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I asked the same question last month. Got nothing but "why would you put a windshield on a BO"; or "it won't look good on your bike".

Good luck with getting a legit answer to your question

Old 08-11-2015, 09:42 AM
matte
Stellar HDF Member
Received 790 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by ChickinOnaChain
Some bikes look natural with wimp-shields...that just cracks me up...but on a Breakout? Kind of like a Corvette with 26" wheels. But, it's your bike, so I say go for it. I hope you find one that fits your needs.
Just rode 1200 miles in 22 hours without one. wasn't hard, but just fishing here for options. Not colorful commentary.

Old 08-11-2015, 10:52 AM
Da-Rza 21
Road Captain
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by matte
Just rode 1200 miles in 22 hours without one. wasn't hard, but just fishing here for options. Not colorful commentary.
im in the middle of my breakout build right now and have a altered arlen ness fairing shield im installing/fabricating on generally for looks,dont think it will do much protection cept re-direct wind to neck area,i looked at the memphis shades models but did not like the look of them on the bo..just didnt flow with style of bike...heres a mocked up picture but final fitment will consume of trimming the windshield and fairing a bit.

Attached Thumbnails windshield on a breakout?-rza-iphone-june-027.jpg  
Old 08-11-2015, 11:24 AM
Jersey Drew
Road Warrior
Received 255 Likes on 158 Posts

if you don't care about looks get it! it will certainly help keep air off your body. you will however get buffeting from the air that comes up from underneath and hits your helmet. normally you can get fork fairings (A.K.A. fangs) to help with this but i have not seen them for the BO.

Old 08-11-2015, 12:22 PM
EagleRay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by fake
...Got nothing but "why would you put a windshield on a BO"; or "it won't look good on your bike"....
Guess why!

Old 08-11-2015, 12:27 PM
Truble
Tourer
Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

A friend of mine put a Harley quick detach windshield on his break out along with her some mini apes and bike is a lot more comfortable and that's what's important for you you can always take the shield off when you're not riding long distance The set up looked really good on his bike again it's all about comfort and it's your bike don't let people I make the decisions for you if it's not comfortable you will avoid writing long distance myself I certainly would put the shield on and take it off and when you're only riding short distances that you feel comfortable without protection bikes are personal you need to have the set up you want

The following users liked this post:
Redlegvzv (07-07-2017)
Old 08-11-2015, 06:49 PM
cdonis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 296 Likes on 240 Posts

I use a memphis shade fairing. I also ride with a full face helmet to save the embarrassment of ruining the look of my breakout. Such a shame! All bullshit aside.... it looks good , and is functional, especially if you ride the bike a lot. It's removable in seconds but I cannot stand the wind noise and bobble head syndrome without it. Different strokes for different folks.

Quick Reply: windshield on a breakout?